1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DX10 for XP ?!?!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mikey8684, Mar 25, 2008.

1. MiST91 Guest

unfortunatly, i highly dought M$ will release a "real" direct X 10 for XP because its one of the only ways (other than forcing people to use the slow, buggy OS on new branded computers) they can get people to go out and buy Vista (or install there cracked pirated version :laugh:)

2. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Its actually not that bad Vista no worse than what xp was a t the same time funny enuff nothings ever said about that.

3. MiST91 Guest

i suppose, vista is just one of them things, you love it, or you hate it.

i dont like it at this moment in time, i have installed it a few times before and used it for a few months however i realised vista is basicly Windows XP but with far too many "healpful features" that eat RAM and system resources, i like an OS to be streamlined and do exactly what i want it to do (XP) and not have lots of background services and intergrated apps doing things i don't need and will never use, however i am aware that i will eventually have to make the switch to Vista because XP will become obsolete and unsupported, but to be honest, i think by the time everyone switches to Vista by choice microsoft will be just about ready to release a new OS.
    IMO ;)

4. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Sigh... it doesn't work.

I would know, because i have Windows Vista and DX10.

So your telling me these bozo's wrote a new line or codes and kernels and what not in XP to support DX10 features, that only a brand new operating system built from the ground up to run the new DirectX, works?

I think all you people who believe this crap are falling Symptoms to the "believe system". Take a little Psychology and you can see that; its not that it actually works, but people "believe" that IT DOES DX10 and so they see it as a paradigm, THE WAY THE SEE THINGS AND WANT TO SEE IT. Hence you believe it works and it "magically" does work (for your mind) :cool:

So its just a trick of yourself, it doesn't in actuality work you just believe it does.
    :banghead:

Now please.. no more DX10 XP crap im just so sick of this already...

1) MS is not an evil company(its just a business like the rest...)
    2) XP is DX9 just like Windows 98/2000 were DX8, i mean I CANT INSTALL DX9 on Windows 98/95/2000 now can i?
    3) Vista and only Vista is the current OS that supports DX10 and its features

/End Rant
    /Begin Drinking
    :toast:

5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    that's also the reason several corps still use P4s because there software has major issues with both AMD chips and the new C2Ds.

by now a lot of them are on XP most of the 2000pro people use it on old P3 machines thta don't need XP anyway

6. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    A friend of mine tried this on xp a few weeks ago he said its not as good as dx10 in vista its just a modded dx9.

7. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is here
    Hi all,

While writing the editorial for TechNet Flash, a new product was making its long-awaited appearance. Windows Vista SP1 is something we've awaited with anticipation - and it's now here.

Although it hasn't been broadly released yet, this product represents a rollup of all current hotfixes and updates plus some under-the-cover changes to improve overall system responsiveness and performance. In fact, Australian Personal Computers' James Bannan recently completed some performance testing, which showed in some scenarios - particularly Vista to Windows XP (and by extension Windows Server 2003) - file copy performance increases of a whopping 86%! Check out James' article that shows all the data.

Why has it taken time to become publicly availability? As Windows Vista SP1 has some fundamental under-the-cover changes that can affect compatibility both with drivers and applications, we decided to make time for hardware and software vendors to test and release updates for their applications and drivers. The end user experience would then be much better following its release to Windows Update and Microsoft Update. For a current list of known issues, please see the TechNet support article.

Why was it only released to certain channels? While Windows Vista SP1 is now available to Windows Update for all customers, we initially released Windows Vista SP1 to TechNet subscribers, volume license customers (via the portal), and Windows Vista SP1 beta participants. We knew that IT Professionals would access each of these release mechanisms, and are more aware of issues affecting compatibility. So should something unfortunate occur, they'd have the necessary skills to recover. This approach helped us avoid issues with your customers downloading SP1 and running into problems without updating their applications first. Mike Nash's blog article has more details on this.

How can you get the best performance, stability and guidance on deployment from Vista and SP1, and Windows XP with Service Pack 3 coming soon?

1. Drivers - these play a crucial role in not only stability, but performance. I have a friend who managed to get an additional 0.2 out of his Vista performance rating just by updating to the latest drivers.
    2. Application updates - as previously mentioned, there are some known issues with some applications. Make sure you update your applications before applying the service pack.
    3. BIOS updates - I have a laptop that BitLocker just wouldn't work with until I updated the BIOS. And with some other hardware, Vista had issues until I updated the BIOS.
    4. Vista TechCenter- for more information on Windows Vista SP1 deployment please reference the TechCenter.
    5. Free support - for any installation and compatibility issues you find with Windows Vista SP1.

In all instances, please check with your hardware and software vendors for updated applications and drivers for Windows Vista SP1 before installing.

Until next time,

Michael Kleef

The not-so-official Microsoft Australia SBS Blog
    Just in time for the announcement of Small Business Server 2008 and the new Windows Essential Business Server comes the launch of a local SBS blog. Add it to your feeds today to get the latest information on all things SBS & WEBS.
    Channel 10 Vista Sidebar Gadget
    If you can't get enough Channel 10 (it's a known problem) you might want to check out our new Channel 10 Vista Sidebar gadget. This gadget will sit on your desktop and scroll through everything that goes through our front page. You can click the '10' logo on the top of the gadget to jump to the latest post, click the photo to open the gadget, and then click the left and right arrows that appear to cycle through posts. You can even watch videos right from the gadget through the Silverlight player. Find out more.

Remote Server Administration Tools released for Windows Vista SP1
    The long-awaited Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) have been released for Windows Vista. These will allow administrators to use their Vista machines to manage their Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008 infrastructure from the comforts of the cubicle. Find out more.

HTC Touch Cruise
    For fans of the HTC Touch series this one includes integrated GPS which is a nice nifty feature if you're in the market for an integrated GPS/Mobile Phone device. It also has integrated wifi. The HTC Touch Cruise comes bundled with Co-Pilot Live Version 7 navigation software. Find out more.

Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.5 is open for Public Beta

Formerly known as SoftGrid Application Virtualization, Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.5 supports large-scale virtualisation implementations across more sites, enables multiple delivery options, lets users work with localised applications, allows administrator-controlled virtual application interaction, and complies with the Microsoft Trustworthy Computing and Secure by Default initiatives. Find out more.

Security Learning Path: Windows Server 2008 Network Access Protection
    Security Learning Path: Windows Server 2008 Network Access Protection Windows Server 2008 Network Access Protection (NAP) is a policy enforcement platform built into Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 that can better protect your private network by enforcing compliance with computer health requirements. Use the resources in this learning path to set up NAP so you can create customised policies and limit access for unhealthy devices. Find out more.

Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 Presence Controls
    The Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 Presence Controls use the automation interfaces of Office Communicator 2007 to show presence information using Office Communications Server 2007. Find out more.

GPO Accelerator
    The GPO Accelerator creates all the Group Policy objects needed to deploy recommended security settings for your environment. Find out more.

Office Live Workspace Update for Windows Vista
    Download Microsoft Office Live Workspace Update to ensure optimal performance on Windows Vista when you use Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint with Office Live Workspace. Download now.

Resources for Upgrading Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008
    Microsoft has revised the upgrade guidance that begins with the Windows Server 2008 SKUs. This guidance reflects the best practices that customers typically follow when they upgrade to a new server operating system. Find out more.

Evaluate the Latest Windows HPC Server 2008
    Try the new Windows HPC Server 2008 Beta, released on 5 March. We want to hear your feedback. Try it now.

Changes in Functionality from Windows Server 2003 with SP1 to Windows Server 2008
    This document describes new features and technologies - ones that were not available in Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 - which will help to increase the security of computers running Windows Server 2008, increase productivity, and reduce administrative overhead. Read now.

Download the Silverlight 2 Beta 1
    Get a preview of the next major update of Microsoft Silverlight, which focuses on enabling rich internet application development and includes a cross-platform, cross-browser version of the Microsoft .NET Framework. Download now.

Get the latest technology and business advice - to suit your business
    Subscribe to the new Microsoft Business Update Newsletter for the latest and most relevant technology advice. This is the newsletter for people who make technology decisions in business, and need a reliable and current source. Each month, you'll get security advice, licensing information, downloads, product updates, offers and more. Sign up now.

Save $500 on First Look Windows Server 2008 courses with Microsoft Fast Track Fridays
    Take advantage of some fantastic savings on our new First Look Windows Server 2008 courses, up to 28 June 2008. Register Now. Terms and conditions apply.

Find out your virtualisation readiness for Windows Server 2008
    To be successful, IT projects must take into account the specific IT environment. To help you determine your customers' readiness for Windows Server 2008, the Microsoft Assessment and Planning tool quickly assesses existing computers in just a few hours or less. Download the FREE Microsoft Assessment and Planning Tool now

Operations Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 is now available
    Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an update to Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 that addresses feedback from our customers on making the product easier to deploy, easier to use, and easier to support. Find out more.

Essentials 2007 Service Pack 1 Now Available
    Service Pack 1 is an update to Microsoft System Center Essentials that provides enhancements based on customer and partner feedback. Improvements include: up to 70% less memory consumption, faster UI, support for workgroup joined computers, SNMP v1 devices, improved setup, new update approvals rules, enhanced third-party update experience, and support for Windows Server 2008. Find out more.

Determine your hardware and migration readiness to Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 in just hours
    Microsoft Assessment and Planning Solution Accelerator is the expanded version of the Windows Vista Hardware Assessment Solution Accelerator tool that was released in early 2007. New features include Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 hardware assessment, virtualisation candidacy recommendation for Virtual Server 2005 R2 (this release) and Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V (future release), and more. Find out more.

How Microsoft deployed and manages Microsoft Forefront Client Security
    Microsoft IT details the planning, deployment, and ongoing management of the largest current deployment of Forefront Client Security with a supported node population of 40,000. Find out more.

Forefront Special Promotion
    For a limited time, get up to 35% off the estimated retail price of Microsoft Forefront Client Security. Find out more and download the trial software today.

Download the March Security Updates

Skilled up on the new Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0
    Amp It Up with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 - as Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 launch events are underway, you need to make sure that your team is ready! Find out more.

SharePoint End User training available NOW!!
    If your company has discovered the amazing new features of Microsoft SharePoint 2007 and deployed it within your office, then you are probably one of the many 1000's of SharePoint End Users within Australia that would love to know how to manipulate these new tools!

Learn some quick and efficient skills on how to get started with simple tasks like uploading content or how to manage a SharePoint site as a Team Leader. To purchase manuals or attend a course visit DDLS.com.au or call 13 12 10.

SharePoint 2007 Bootcamps in your city today!
    This fast paced four day workshop is designed for IT Professionals and Developers needing effective skills transfer for the new products and technologies delivered with the next version of SharePoint 2007. You will have the opportunity for 'hands-on' experience to Develop, Customise and Integrate solutions on the Microsoft Office 2007 Platform. Written and taught by industry experts. Don't miss this opportunity for hands-on training with a booming technology. Register NOW!

• How does Network Load Balancing algorithm work internally

• How to disable the use of certificates that are imported by using the MOMCertImport.exe tool in System Center Operations Manager 2007

• FIX: A segmentation fault error occurs when you run a compiled application that calls the dlopen function on a Windows Server 2003 R2-based computer that has SUA installed

• FIX: Additional rows are deleted at the publisher in a merge replication if the merge replication contains join filters in SQL Server 2005

• Information about new Group Policy preferences in Windows Server 2008

• Stop error message when you start a Windows Vista-based computer: "0xC1F5"

See a selection of new Knowledge Base articles on the TechNet Web site. KB articles feature an Article Translations box in the right column. You can select a language from the drop-down list and read the article in the selected language. Also available via RSS

The TechNet Flash is full of pointers to in-depth technical information that we encourage subscribers to forward to friends and co-workers. If you've received this issue from someone via e-mail and would like to receive the free TechNet Flash newsletter fortnightly, all you have to do is register.

This newsletter was sent by Microsoft Pty Ltd
    1 Epping Rd
    North Ryde, NSW, Australia 2113
    Legal Information.

.....SOURCE: My Inbox

id say microsoft still play quite a major role in the corporate arena.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  8. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, that could be true, OR, we get yet another XP!!!!!! I know windows 7 is supposed to be the The windows OS that will make all of the other Windows system cry. But I have a feeling that W7 will in fact be delayed, a lot!!!! If it's gonna be as good as they say it's gonna be, they have to decide what to cut out and what to keep.

yeah and i know its fun to play around with stuff that dosen't work, i play with Gentoo linux ;), but I know that when I update my system, I want to fully take advantage of my hardware. Just my $.02.

9. Th3-R3as0n

Th3-R3as0n New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im assuming you have to have a DX10 card to run this correct?

Or is it a "crysis very high settings" for all dx9 games?

10. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 better be the greatest os ever cus if its not it will be run out of town by irate xp owners lol and yeah youd need a dx 10 card ps liverpool ftw

11. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, so far I have noticed its like the very high settings thing, but it also has to be an SM4 card.

There is only minor changes I have noticed visually but alot of people seem to think i am full of it so I quit posting in the thread.

12. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure what you mean. Tinkering with things usually causes them to break. Never heard the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" before?

Couldn't run it why? Surprisingly, 82% of the problems in Vista aren't even caused by Microsoft (DailyTech).

13. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Well, yeah, but doesn't really matter to me. It's all software and I don't mind if I have to reinstall windows or anything. Heck my system is due anyway.

14. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Didnt you all ignore my post that it doesnt work at all....

15. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    I know I didn't.

16. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Due? I've installed every Windows version released as well as various Linux distros. I don't find a re-install of an OS to be a time practical event, even using Ghost or any other imaging application.

But I'll admit that I was once a person that liked to tweak things and reformat every 3 months myself. I just got sick and tired of doing it. :p

17. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    LOL, hear you on that! It just ... helps keep a clean stable system. I dont know how to explain it.

18. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    ^ Same thats why i have a USB HDD with all my (important pron files) back-up files on it.

19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I seem to format almost once a month, sometimes 2 months. lol.

20. NeSeNVi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah! ^_^ So if XP has DX10 now, maybe there will bo no reason to change to Vista/7... No it's imba: what a shame Microsoft gonna stop support this system.

21. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Umm wow, do you realize you just bumped a thread that was almost a year old...

22. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    If anyone still thinks that this works, please test out Stalker Clear Sky. I'd be very interested to know if the DX10 feature become available.

23. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pretty sure Clear Sky actually uses DX10 so your outta luck.

24. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I know hence my question...

Most probably, but it'd still be nice to see if it does improve or enable anything. I know it's a very slim chance because I tried enabling DX10 mode in XP myself and didn't get anywhere.

:(

25. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    a tad bit of toppic but do directx 10 games run on a directx 9 system? well os? coz my compnants support directx10 but im running xp, if so its a wait till windows 7 for me