1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

dying psu

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bassmasta, Jul 24, 2008.

1. bassmasta Guest

my graphics card shuts down independently of the rest of the system, even when in bios. to boot, it often takes a few tries to get the system to boot. something smells like it's burning. aside from sticking my head in and sniffing everything, I just took out the psu and waited a few minutes for it to air out. sure enough, there is a smell. not really burning, but it does remind me of hot rubber. would the power supply be going on me? or could it be the gpu

2. Ongaku New Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like it...how many W is it and what graphics card are you using?

3. bassmasta Guest

toughpower 850 with a sapphire 2900xt. right now I'm using the removable cables, as for some reason they're 30 amps while the others are only 15. it's no good however, as now the audio gets distorted briefly after the graphics crashes and the system itself now crashes soon after.

4. Ongaku New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm...does it only crash when you play a 3D game? I had a graphics card go out on me...it would crash the instant I popped up a 3D game...worked fine in 2D though.

You said the smell is coming from the PSU? It probably is that then...that sucks :(

5. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    based on how my 2900 is acting, I'd say it's your gpu, mine is definetly showing signs of age and seems to be giving out on me. I think due to the heat (and the fact that I overvolted and oced the sh1t out of it) it won't last me another 6 months. so it's not hard to see that yours is going bad. do you have another rig to test it in?