1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

E.A games Bans gamers from gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by DragonBorn, Dec 7, 2011.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Really? Even digital downloads? They are packaged and sold? You sure they aren't instead maintained by staff? Because I'm pretty sure that is what Origin and Steam are all about, and Origin is what this thread applies to.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, they are packaged - into a digital format.

the whole keeping servers online and patching the product is where the definition of service gets blurry.

you buy a product that needs a free service, but you didnt buy that service - you bought the product.

DragonBorn says thanks.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I see it differently. The game, along with Origin, is a service. They are a package deal provided by the game company. Both are services.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    They are services because they are a package deal, because they are services?

just calling it a service doesn't make it so. re: steam, origin, etc - those are services yes but separate. they are the digital equivalent of a store. that's why steam and valve are two different companies, and origin is not a game developer for EA.

I totally agree that game companies would like it to be considered a service, as that makes it a lot easier for them. however they historically and rationally are not services, they are products.

DragonBorn says thanks.
  5. FierceRed

FierceRed New Member

Thanks Received:
    Steam isn't a company.

Steam is software developed by Valve that manages their, and other, game software while integrating a storefront for further revenue.

6. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    A bit of a tangential statement here.

I would GLADLY welcome the official presence of Origin and Steam (right now those who use them are "pretending" they're in the US) over here. IFF they actually "help convince" ISPs to improve speeds (both DL and UL) over here. The best you can have here is restricted to certain districts of two cities, and just so happens that those districts of those two cities are mostly condominiums, expensive ones at that.

7. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    A direct quote from Steam Subscriber Agreement
    Interesting articles-
    There is a lot of interesting info about this same discussion out there. It appears from what I quickly skimmed over was, what ever it use to be is no more, it is now or will be considered a service by the industry of today. And like everything else this was driven by the money.

I can see where what may have been considered a product in the past is not anymore. All things change so you might as well get use to it. The way games are and will be run has evolved. Games are not produced like in the past nor are they sold like in the past and they will not be run as in the past. That was history we no longer drive the Model T. :ohwell:

8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    that's cool but i don't think any of us were arguing that steam is a product, it is a service for sure. a platform... a piece of software, but not a product. the games available on steam however, are.

9. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Regardless of whether it's appropriate for them to ban gaming access based on forum(and other services) incidents, there is one nice thing about this (if it was intended that is..) - it would keep a lot of morons off official gaming community forums.

Spammers
    Chronic repeat posters
    Whiners/"I am leaving"
    Obvious negative posts
    Obvious 'positive' posts ( the type where some loser makes a random thread showing admiration and adulation for a moderator or game develepor/staff and/or other player - most often for an irrelevant reason such as the person is a female).

And any other crap threads that flood the forums.
    Banning people may just lead to them making another account. Banning people and blocking game access means they'll make a new user, whine about the ban and then go away is they're getting nowhere.

Am I mean to think that?

DragonBorn says thanks.