1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

e-sata running slower then USB? help needed.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Melvis, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Ok im having weird issues with my External HDD. First ill explain the Hardware.

The external HDD is a WD 1TB Black (month old) in a ASTONE 481E enclosure which has e-sata and USB. It is connected to a e-sata connector at the back of my computer that plugs into a spare sata port on the motherboard. This is all got to do with my current machine <.

Now the thing is its running very slow when i connect the e-sata external HDD. I mean VERY slow, slower then USB, and it slows down the whole computer, and ive noticed that it is using close to 100% of the CPU and i have no idea why this is happening. (doesn't show in Task manager)

Anyway USB seems to run fine and i have also tested this out on the SLi computer< and it runs fine with e-sata, so im stumped. It used to run fine on mine to but then one day it went wrong :ohwell:

If anyone has any ideas on why this is happening that would be great, id love to be able to use my e-sata on this computer again.

:toast:
  2. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Well if eSATA runs fine on one computer and not on the other computer. For namesake we'll call one SLI Computer and the other Computer 2. You can eliminate the any problems with the enclosure, cabling, or HDD. It has to be within Computer 2. Potentially a driver issue? If I am reading your specs to the left correct your using XP SP3 Pro? That shouldn't the be the source of the issue, but I'd uninstall it and run windows update and get it to try and pull a new driver...idk
    Melvis says thanks.
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply, yea i did eliminate that the problem wasn't my external, cabling, HDD etc so i was happy about that. Yea i don't know if its a driver issue or not as i didn't have to install any drivers for it at all, and it was running ok to start off with then one day the computer said NO lol. I do have windows XP SP3 fully updated etc and it is maybe a 2month install, not that old.

Any other info would be great :toast:
  4. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try updating the chipset drivers or moving the sata cable to a different port? :confused:
    Melvis says thanks.
  5. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I wont do a driver update till next format time, but yea i was thinking of trying that and moving it to a different port, ill give that a try.
  6. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    um .. ok...

why not?
  7. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Because it was working fine before with the same drivers. And sometimes the new drivers can stuff things up then make things better, thatrs what i have found anyway, unless its just after a fresh install.