1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

E3 2013 Discussion

Discussion in 'Games' started by KainXS, Jun 10, 2013.

1. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Yes, well played indeed.
    Console doesn't look like a VCR, but instead with a DVD player (albeit slightly futuristic).
    Online features are charged (DRM you have to pay for, in case a game has MP).
    You can lend games, but no details so far if the person that receives the game will be restricted to SP.
    "Share" button. (Why?)("Select" is gone now too.)
    I'm sure more is to come eventually.
    Still, it sounds like a more appealing product than the xbox one.
    Not that I'm going to get either.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/194126/On_PS4_DRM_measures_are_up_to_the_thirdparties.php

Pretty much sums up exactly how I feel.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  3. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    I don't see many third-party publishers going with ridiculous DRM out of nowhere on the PS4. EA just announced they were doing away with online passes and removed them a few weeks ago. Also Sony announcing that its first party titles won't restrict used games in my opinion will set a precedent for third party publishers. Of course some titles will likely implement DRM in some form but I think they will be very few and far between as it has been in the current generation.

4. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    But the means are still there. Gee, you could of at least take the initiative, Sony, and restrict the ways publishers might end up shoving stuff up on our metaphorical posteriors.
    Regardless, one still has to pay for online content, which in a game's case is going to be the access to the MP feature.
    Yes, it's not like EA is known to come up with ridiculous DRM out of nowhere. Or Ubisoft, for that matter.

Oh wait...

5. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
  6. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I would personally guess publishers like EA and Ubisoft Pushed Microsoft to implement this DRM, not that they don't want it because history tells us they do want this, especially EA.

7. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    inFAMOUS Second Son - Official E3 Gameplay Video

I'm liking how they did the FXs. Not over the top particles everywhere.

8. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Features, price, and performance seem to be in order. Preorder placed.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
  10. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:

That does look AWESOME!!!

:toast:

11. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    updates

things not going too good for ouya this E3
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-cops-called-to-shut-down-ouya

microsoft stance on potential customers who don't like the 24 hour drm or used games publisher dominance.
    Microsoft Xbox Executive Don Mattrick Response to ...

the new(er) xbox 360
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-this-is-the-new-xbox-360

the new xbox seriously looks like the slim with a new casing, and I guess Adam was right when he said "Deal with it." I feel bad or ouya though, its really becoming that thing everyone is forgetting, I can't see it succeeding.

12. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
  13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    At this point I have to agree with the panel that was discussing it with GameTrailers in between conferences. MS are shooting themselves in the foot by not talking about these issues with any kind of tact or understanding. Hell, even their reluctant Xbox One customers have put it in better terms.

You don't have to always be online, just connect once every 24 hours. Other than that you can use it offline. It's their insistence on acting like 24 hr cloud connection is actually necessary vs an option that is killing their PR in this E3. That and used game restrictions are making them sound like they're thumbing their noses at customers.

A cloud system of 300,000 global servers is great for building a strong online community and allowing some games more compute power and all that, but don't make it sound like it's more important than the customer's preferences. Jeez, what's so hard to get about that MS?

To put it another way, Jason Rubin aptly pointed out that Steam is an example of an online distribution service that doesn't allow reselling of games that actually works, it's all about how it's done. You can get a lot of games cheap, there are frequent sale prices, and they didn't debut it with a draconian attitude. They just explained how the system works.

With gaming heading more and more toward sophisticated online play, high end graphics, and digital downloads vs discs, I can see why they want to go this direction, but they need to keep in mind a lot of customers still prefer discs, offline play, and the freedom to buy used, or at least at a decent discount well after launch. If you don't present these changes properly you're going to cause a rift in your own fanbase.

Andy McNamara's position was just pitch the system at E3 and iron out the details later. I don't agree with that. If a customer has been waiting years to finally buy the next gen of a system designed to last 7-10 years, they deserve to know what they're getting themselves into. Wrong or not, at least MS had the balls to tell them, even though they probably knew a lot of people would be upset about the changes and weren't tactful about it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  14. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I guess Amazon changed their prices too as your links show $59.96

16. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Brilliant :D

17. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    jgunning says thanks.
  18. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I like that they are going back with that box matte look to the console. Although I don't understand why they keep changing up the logo. Seriously, the original PS Logo is still the best one, thats a great looking logo, and stickign with it would create better brand recognition. Maybe they feel they need a new logo because they can't find a good way to do numbers with the original logo? If thats the case I say use the PS logo then have small fine print on a front lip that says Playstation 4, would look much more classy.

Darkleoco and Killer_Rubber_Ducky say thanks.
  19. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I love most of the PR mistakes Microsoft has made when it comes to Xbox One.

"Xbox One doesn't require a constant internet connection, but you will be required to connect the console to the internet."

Translation:

"Adam Orth pissed a lot of people off by saying #DEALWITHIT over a required internet connection. We didn't really think people would care, so in order to spin us out of that situation we're gonna say that you don't need to be constantly connected to the internet, you just need to do so once a day."

"We're not blocking used games, we'll leave that up to the publisher."

Translation:

"The reason EA dropped Project $10 was because we've implemented a system of DRM into the Xbox One that makes their model obsolete. This way, they get a PR jump from the players and then we get to save face by saying the publisher has ultimate contol. Also, you'll be able to lend a game to a friend of yours that has been on your friends list for more than 30 days. The game will be permenently tied to his account, though."

"Yes, for those people who don't want to have a system that requires an internet connection we have a device for that, the Xbox 360!"

Translation:

"We don't give a fuck about our core gaming audience who might be miffed at the idea of having a system that constantly requires an internet connection. We're barely even making games on this motherfucker. We want you to watch TV, maybe play a game and make Skype calls. We don't give a shit about you, and we'll probably charge you a fee for an Xbox Live Gold account just so you can watch television programming through our set top box on top of your already required cable bill."

Killer_Rubber_Ducky and Darkleoco say thanks.
  20. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    jgunning says thanks.