1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

E4400 Temps just plain wrong?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by swishneezy, Jul 3, 2008.

1. swishneezy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am overclocking an E4400 (L2 Stepping) with a WC system. I ran some inital OC attempts and got very positive results on stability. Howver, i wanted to get some baseline non-oc temps before I really started to do some performance tests at different OC levels. The processor is being reported by the bios at boot as being at 54c at 1.31v. I know that the bios chuggs the proc at about 100% so I should get around the same temp/volt when i am running orthos; and i do. That seems really high to me though, especially since the thermal limit of the proc by intel is 61c at TCase. Also, strangely, speedfan is reporting my core temps as being 5c lower than my cpu. I have checked everything i can on this processor and found that speedfan and realtemp assume my proc has a TJMax of 100c. I think it is actually supposed to be around 85c but am unsure. If i adjust for 85c then i get a reported core temp of 22c each...obviously wrong. TJunc temps are ALWAYS supposed to be higher than TCase.

I am using a WC system in a custom case i machined/built. Ambient air temp in case is 26c and outside is 25c. My cooling line goes from resevior to VGCard (GF8600GT) and then to proc. My inline temp sensor between VGCard and proc says water temp going into proc (at idle) is 28.2c. I would assume, since i am using top of the line water cooling gear (i am very familiar with WC), with ArcticSilver5 thermal compund, i should be idling around 28.2 + 2c = 30.2c. However this is not the case. Here is some data from speedfan/cpu-z:

[​IMG]
    this is at idle for 30min. water temp to proc is 28.2c

[​IMG]
    This is at full load for 15min using orthos. water temp to proc is 28.9c

[​IMG]
    This is my MB info. Abit IP35-Pro

I have already taken this setup to 1.42v @ 3.3GHz and was completely stable (Orthos full load for 24hours). I just can't understand how i can have such high temps with no OC at all. I have checked my board bios for a PECI option but it does not have one. I am at a complete loss as to what temps to believe...or whether i should just start assuming a temp of +2c over ambient water for idling and just adjust all the programs to scale to that.

And because I know someone will ask: Yes...I have already reseated the chipset cooling block (Zalman-WB5) with a complete cleaning and reaplication of AS5 and have the same temps a week later (should have full thermal conduction by now from AS5). My 2x120mm fan radiator is cooling beyond what i need it to so i know my heat is not just being shoved back into the proc. My liquid flow is is very good (swiftech pumps are the best!). The only thing i havn't done with my cooling setup is actually open the CPU waterblock and check for a mismachined interior or other defects.

2. swishneezy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I decided after posting to clock it up to 3.3 and get the info from the programs for you all. Here it is after 15+ min:

[​IMG]
    Overclocked 1.42v (set in bios) @ 3.3GHz for 15+ min. Water temp to proc 28.9c.

These temps have to be wrong. my proc should have limited itself after hitting its TCase max (which it is waaaayyy past) since the cores would be uber-hot. My cores and cpu temps are almost the same at this high OC though.

3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried Coretemp ot Realtemp to read cores? What does Uguru say the CPU temp is?

4. swishneezy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here the outputs from the other programs:

[​IMG]
    all temps are at idle for 15min. i get the same readouts on the other temp progs but only am posting these since the others are above.

The only way i can assume my TJunction temps are correct is if my L2 stepped E4400 has a TJMax of 100c. I have found conflicting data on that. Also, I have had so many troubles and inconsistant readings using Abit Uguru i just don't trust it.

5. P4-630

P4-630

Thanks Received:
  6. swishneezy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Problem Solved!

I was wondering around the Abit forums again and saw a recent post and i cam across this:

BIOS release V17 for IP35 Pro

Release information:

[ENGLISH]

1. Fixed 45nm CPU compatibility and support CPU half multiplier.
    2. Fixed the Wake Up by WAKE# of PCIe function abnormality.
    3. Fixed system hang when used Intel PXE CPU series.
    4. Fixed CPU temperature abnormality when S3 return.
    5. BIOS compiled date: 05/26/2008.

turns out the S3 thing was the problem. They just posted this like a week ago so i never saw it when this problem started bothering me a few weeks ago. i updated bios and finally got the temp i expected. Uguru actually reported it right but speedfan needed to changed to match. I am idling at almost 2c above water temp and 5c lower than core temp. At load temp is 10c lower than core...just as it should be.

Also, to anyone that had the same prob...this new bios release is not on main website yet but is on thier ftp. here is the link:

ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/bios/ip35pro/

finally, i can start worring about other things.