1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

e8600 @ 4.5 ghz 600 fsb stable!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by dalekdukesboy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    This is just sweet...on air only 2 120 mm case fans, one true 120 with 120 fan for air cooling! took months of being just shy of this stable and finally I played with a few clock gen skews and ref voltages etc and got it linpack stable for 32 runs!!! YEAH!!!

Attached Files:

skylamer says thanks.
  2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Very nice man! I take its not an everyday clock, since I spot 74° there...

skylamer and dalekdukesboy say thanks.
  3. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    That is nicely done - any more pictures?

dalekdukesboy says thanks.
  4. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys! quick responses too! well...actually that 74 is not even the core temps...they hit 82 max I think lol, but that is within reason, been there done that and then some and never an issue though I'd like it cooler...

5. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Was that done on the Tpower P45? if so thats insane! the highest FSB i ever got was 550FSB from my Gigabyte P45 UD4P! /w an E8100 Eng sample, was able to hit 575FSB but it wasnt windows stable.

6. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    yep thats' my tpower i45 my only rig...with the e8600 I had it at 4.45 ghz and 595 fsb for a long time but never quite had it right...even when it tested stable I had issues with some things on occasions in everyday use but generally it was ok.

I was going to get the ud3p for a second rig or first rig but saw this as a used example for 80 bucks on newegg.com, I've been quite happy with it all along, gives very good memory bandwith as well

7. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Nice clock man.
    Now raise your multi up .5 and see if it will stay stable there also.

8. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Well @ 600FSB thats totally the motherboard, and the northbridge/mosfets. At that high FSB speeds i hope your running some really good cooling for both, my friend watercool's his NB on his Rampage X48 and runs 500FSB daily with his E8500 clocked to 4.0Ghz

9. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    well...all stock actually LOL actually not even using the fan it came with for the mosfets because I busted it...however I am going to invest in a few fans to complete this rig...put one on the mosfets where the fan originally was, and I'm going to get a fan to tape/rig-up somehow over the northbridge heatsink to cool it down as well I think as well as add a few fans to the case or on the mobo via creative rigging lol

nope, all the pictures I have of that event, was yesterday I did that, and currently it's at 4.55 ghz 605 fsb but only manages 6 or so runs of linpack so just probably too hot or needs more tweaking somewhere

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  10. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    602 fsb 4.52 ghz stable!!!

I've got an improvement!...definitely hasn't topped out yet and it's pretty obvious to me if I can get some more cooling this could possibly get more exciting...

Attached Files:

skylamer says thanks.
  11. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    actually, now I do...I thought this memory shot was quite nice to look at

Attached Files:

skylamer and 3dsage say thanks.
  12. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    dam nice dude, i got a biostar P43 like 4 days ago n am waiting for time to see if it can push my q6600 higher than i could manage on my 680i LT.

man yea you should def jump on getting those fans and whatnot, i'd like to see u hit 4.8-5ghz :toast:

13. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Impressive stuff well done!

14. Kovoet

Kovoet

Thanks Received:
    Bloody hell that's high awesome work.

15. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    holy grail of gaming rigs... haha . nice bro, very jealous

16. kyle2020 Guest

Those Tpowers are god like with duals, good looking too.

17. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    yes and no, I have ONE 8800gts 512 powering it...lol, yes overclocked but still definitely my bottleneck, it does manage about 16.5 k on 3dmark 06 with it overclocked to 800/2000/1100 I still game quite well in crysis for example up to about 1600 x resolution with all settings on high minus shaders on medium and shadows on low for those kill the fps and I don't mind no shadows. I'd definitely prefer your 2 gtx's to my one gts that's for sure:)

thanks all for the encouragement, I haven't posted in a while but figured after updating bios I'd try some OC'ing with different settings and seems to I've found more headroom which I had almost given up upon

18. d3fct

d3fct

Thanks Received:
    nice speeds, would like to see that thing maxed at sub ambient temps

19. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Are you using that accessory Biostar cooling fan?

20. 3dsage

3dsage New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is admirable dude:toast:
    please post this in the Everest Bench Thread.

21. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    nice man, work with those settings dude u can squeeze more outa that beast :toast:

22. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    nope, I was, I even lapped the bottom of the heatsink the fan goes on...but I broke 2 fan blades on it while reaching in my case....so it is a useless vibrating mess that would probably just break my motherboard if I left it in there...so I'm going to order another fan to take it's place, plus a few extras that I'll ghetto mod into the case and/or a couple attached to the motherboard itself aimed at the cpu and memory etc.

23. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    so close...yet so far

at 4.52 ghz and 1.4 volts and a few skew adjustments I had it complete 20 minutes/22 runs or so of linpack...then it just did a hard freeze! But lowest voltage I ever had it even somewhat show stability at for 4.5+ ghz...any ideas on what would cause the freeze? I'm thinking maybe 1.37 volts under load maybe isn't enough no matter what, but also I'm wondering if it is enough hence 20 minutes of successful 100% load calculations and maybe I could just tweak something somewhere....I just don't know what! I can post settings if anyone is curious or better at this than I am, this is actually my second build straight from a 680i which I still have and for a while had this cpu in...so I'm definitely still no expert with p45's and intel technology any ideas?

24. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
  25. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    yeah, I actually may already owe that site for success, I flashed from a bios from may to one from July and maybe coincidence but not long after that I got this recent breakthrough, whereas before I was stuck under 4.5 ghz pretty much no matter what...I MAY flash to the newest bios on there which is from this month actually...possible it will improve things, if it sucks I suppose I can always just flash back to this one. Anyhow to all concerned I did try to get beyond 4.52 gigahertz but so far only complete a couple passes...temps on cores reach 89 degrees so definitely just way too toasty...I'm actually surprised it passed at 4.52/602 the cores reached 87 at hottest I think lol, so passed despite a lot of heat...