1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

e8600 @ 4.5 ghz 600 fsb stable!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by dalekdukesboy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

looking at your heat it is doubtful you will be able to push any further anyway

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    probably true, I wouldn't really try pushing further till I get a few more fans in my rig and I have one 90 cfm silenx fan on the true but I may swap it and use an even stronger fan for the true or perhaps 2 and my heat issues would certainly be lessened, I guess I can't expect much more for what I have for fans/cooling and how fast it's going...sad thing is the motherboard seems to want to do more and can easily do more but I have more FSB available than mhz on cpu lol.

3. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    In fact those temps seem really bad... what voltage are you running? How did you apply thermal paste? The TRUE is a HDT cooler right? You should have done one thin line on each heatpipe.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    well it is 1.4 volts which isn't low by any means, and no it's not hdt just a flat solid base, and linpack makes your temps as high as anything I know of can make your cpu get, it loads your cpu at 100 percent and uses 100 percent memory, makes prime 95 seem like nothing far as heat goes on a cpu...so least for what I've seen others do with air and this voltage with this intensive program running I really didn't expect any lower temps truthfully...not unless I do what I'm toying with and put a massive cfm fan on the true or something.

5. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    well fuck me, seems I flashed the bios to newest bios, had bad luck, forgot what my settings were and even if it was the july bios which I thought it was...and now I can't get those settings to work anymore! ugh...still trying, just so frustrating, I've got lower temps now due to fall being here and less stability figure that one out...oh well, guess I should've really kept logs of all my settings/bios version when it all worked! oi...

6. hbkl Guest

:( bad luck , please can you upload some pics about your cooling sistem

7. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    well I don't have a picture of it, but it's a true 120 with 1 silenx 90 cfm fan inside a thermaltake 8000+ armor case or whatever the small one is I forget the nomenclature currently have a couple led fans sitting in my case along with a 40mm fan taped to the northbridge to help cool it down...thanks to that I have BETTER results to post, I just haven't prepared them to post yet, but slightly more speed less voltage:)

8. Anath

Thanks Received:
    congratz mate!

9. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    THAT is my most recent stable OC....still inching ever so slightly higher in frequency with 1.36 volts under load!

Attached Files:

10. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    600+ FSB is amazing.:respect:

What are the performance benefits of running your FSB at 600 with lower cpu multiplier vs. going lower FSB and higher CPU multiplier for solid 4.5GHZ cpu speed?

I'm just wondering if it's possible to get better performance from system with lower FSB by tweaking RAM and CPU. To find "the sweet spot".

Not sure.
    :cool:

dalekdukesboy says thanks.
  11. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    well, no idea lol, honestly I just like using this mobo for what it's known for being good at and pushing it to the limits...truthfully any games or synthetics I run I notice no difference in multiplier vs high bus speed, unless it deals with bandwith, that's where this fsb comes in handy, my memory scores are great when the fsb is cranked like this...but most anything I play around with it really doesn't seem to make any difference, I am definitely of the belief that a high multiplier seems not to make any difference in anything whatsoever in the range an E8000 series processor has available to it, and a high fsb probably makes no difference in anything not needing bandwith...

SonDa5 says thanks.
  12. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    maybe only 5 mhz but it is faster and still stable! lol, I'll try a slightly larger jump and see if it stays stable...still faster is faster as well as proving the first run wasn't just luck...

Attached Files:

13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that is rather impressive.

14. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Nice job dalek!

Man the mid 90s web design on that page I quoted is a riot. I don't care if he did it on purpose or not. :laugh:

15. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    Even coming from i7, I am totaling jealous of this feat. I wonder if I can ever get my i7 to 4.5 on air? Congrat man.

16. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    you need better cooling for that cpu i would recomend some kind of watercooling kit or else a high speed 120mm fan.

17. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    I have a true 120 with a 90 cfm fan and a few fans in my case so it has decent airflow, plus the house temperature is fairly cool and it's winter here...I just now am working on 4.530 ghz 603 fsb but not sure it's happening without bumping voltage which may result in too much heat to stay stable at that clock...

18. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    thanks!
    but looking at your rig sig...nothing to be jealous of me for lol, you've got all the storage and speed with that thing...4 terrabytes? sheesh...I admit I am holding on to this thing as long as I can and screw i5-7 etc (no offense of course to you) I just have no need for 4 cores and ddr3 at over 4 ghz gulping all my electricity away...THIS rig probably would scare me if i saw what it consumes, but with an 8800gts 512 and only a 700 watt power supply which breaks no sweat powering it I know it's at least somewhat efficient. That gtx295 I'd take quickly...except that they have the 5870 out now lol...seriously though, your rig is impressive, I just would never have use for it for general downloading/surfing/gameplaying so far isn't benefited by all that brute power...I admit the gts512 has GOT to be a massive bottleneck for me though LOL I really wish I had the dough to get a 5870 or whatever the nvidia gt300 series will be exactly. and I'll bet you can do 4.5 on air with that, maybe not stable on linpack but at least benching stable...

hv43082 says thanks.
  19. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    90cfm really is not that much for a 120mm fan i was meaning one of those 4000rpm+ 120mm monster fans that will suck in small pets and bits of furniture.

20. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Thats a NICE clock! ive got my Phenom II 940 Black Edition at 4GHZ Game stable but when i run prime 95 it locks about 5-10 minutes into it (Probly due to heat 60+ deg cel) but i can play any game and it wont lock up. i did just a 20X multi

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    is its not totaly stable something bad will happen.:cool:

22. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    true, I have looked at those monster fans all the delta fans etc...it's probably what I need if I'm to get any further particularly once summer comes around again for right now ambient temps are completely on my side...unfortunately they don't give those fans away, and also the noise might be insufferable, and I'd be tempted to run them 24/7 just so I could run some ridiculous clocks, so I'd have a catch 22 there...

23. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    something new 40 runs....

something fresh as they say since I'm still testing and today was the first time I had a particularly good run at it, it wasn't the 50 massive runs I was looking for, but according to most people this amount of linpack is like a couple days worth of prime 95 no errors so I at least am happy with it as a starting point for "perfect rock solid stability" which of course, is a subjective term...however for 4.5 ghz 600 fsb I thought it was a great result with not an insane amount of voltage to the cpu...1.4 idle and 1.368 under load, which coincidentally is intel's "max" allowable for 45nm cpu's...NOT that I subscribe to that, the 1.45 volts I have seen elsewhere sounds probably closer to accurate but either way I'm hoping I can tweak further to get 1.4 as my voltage needed to get 4.5+ on the mhz and it seems I'm almost there! Anyone who agrees or disagrees I'd love to hear it, the biggest thrill for me with this rig is benchmarking and discussing with others about it and their results/experience as well! As a matter of fact, I think if no one's started it I'd like to start a 600+ fsb club for 24/7 use lol...if anyone else out there is crazy enough to run their rigs that way...anyway long live the tpower/e8600! lol

Attached Files:

24. ace80

ace80

Thanks Received:
    Nice job, that tpower does seem really cool. So far i topped out at 550fsb, but haven't really tried pushing her much at all. Hopefully in the next couple of months i'll get the e8600 clocking uber high aswell being its 1st winter.
    What are your chipset voltages at 600fsb? Also do you mess around with the gtl's and such?

25. dalekdukesboy

dalekdukesboy

Thanks Received:
    voltage for chipset is 1.392 or something like that...gtl's I have messed with, I've messed with EVERYTHING! lol, spent hours dicking around with this thing over the last few months when I've felt the urge...so far .63 core 0 and .67 core 1 seems best, core 1 core 2 however they're labeled precisely...admittedly summer here made it harder to do this that's for sure, but also no matter how much I think I have figured out, another run at any given times surprises me with what the pc "needs" to be stable. is that a p45 chipset? I don't recall offhand...