1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA Chief Says Games Boring People to Death

Discussion in 'News' started by Easy Rhino, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

I expect you to be playing at 640x480 with a two button mouse, no joystick, 2.0 speaker setup, all details at minimum and your framerate capped at 30FPS. Otherwise, you have an unfair advantage over players with a weaker system.

Cant you just understand how STUPID it is to not have widescreen support? How is it any more of an advantage to an 8800GTX owner having more draw distance to an FX5200 owner having minimum? The FX guy cant even fly an aircraft, since he cant see anything - but oh, seeing more to the sides is an advantage. Stop having a jealousy fit that you dont have a widescreen monitor and consider that this is how technology and games advance - its a good tech, its enjoyable to use and therefore should be supported. If its popular, it will become the norm - if not, it will die out.

Find me a LAN hall or a gaming tournament that bans widescreens since its 'cheating' and i'll admit you have a point - everyone else just thinks its nice and wishes they had one too.

Its not like widescreen users can see through walls, and our crosshair is still in the center of the screen - we have to turn to shoot, and its nothing you cant see BY MOVING YOUR MOUSE AROUND. I can see a little more to the side? well damn, why cant you just look to the side - thats how i do it, if i want to see more.
  2. Telexen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget he should be slowing his latency to match mine too :D

Calling using widescreen cheating is a little out of line. The game supports it for a reason. It exists for a reason. People use it for a reason. That reason is that it is a much more natural representation of an image. My eyes don't see in a near 4:3 ratio, it's much more spanned horizontally.
  3. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    As a direct picture response, here is the two modes available to widescreen users in BF2.
    First image is using the widescreen 'hack' - its more or less zoomed in, so that i get the normal 4:3 horizontal view, but vertically i am missing the top and bottom of the image.
    Second image is running 1280x1024 on a monitor without scaling - stretched to fill the screen

I'm sorry, but these arent as good as 4:3 modes - please screwup 4:3 viewing for normal users, so that its fair for everyone.

Theres your logic thrown right back at you.

Attached Files:

4. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I'm focused and shooting at a guy on the balcony, you would be able to see the guy hiding in the bushes shoot at you.

I would not.

Is that fair? No.

The game at 640x480 gives the same view that 1600x1200 brings. All FPS's do this. The difference is level of detail, which will not hinder your viewable area. Sometimes high detail has drawbacks to the visability of characters, sometimes its a bonus.

This is just flat out screwing the non widescreen people over.

I suppose you've never heard of latency compensation? This would be why in many games it removes latency from the equation. Wolf ET's implementation of this is excellent.
  5. G0DZLR

G0DZLR New Member

Thanks Received:
    compare say, a 20" LCD running 1600x1200 such as you have (and i do aswell), to a 22" widescreen running 1680x1050. the diference is 40 pixels each side...seriously, your argument is just petty. besides, they would loose pixels vertically, being only 1050 instead of 1200.

just get over it.
  6. Mussels

Thanks Received:

Ok, so two people are on-screen at once
    #1 my eyes focus at one point at a time - i still have to look around my screen, or MOVE THE MOUSE to have my screen do the looking - my eyes cant look at both places at once. Even if i could, i can still only shoot one at a time.
    #2 The guy on the balcony has an FX5200 and cant even see you as you're too far away.
    #3 you havent commented on my sound or controls things yet. Having more mouse buttons (voice comms) is an advantage - so is having a joystick for flying, or a 5.1 speaker setup for identifying targets locations.

Stop repeating the same thing over and over, and reply to those above. Its no different, it gives you an advantage, one that i damned well paid for. If you want fair matches with everything identical, go buy an Xbox360. - Oh thats right, BF2 modern combat on Xbox360 does support widescreen. Funny how its only unfair on PC.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  7. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Games need to be long and fun to play. STALKER is one example, a great game but can be completed far too quickly.
  8. Telexen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Long games have a tendency to be repetitive though. Doom 3 is about as bad as it gets -
    1) walk into room
    2) lights go out
    3) imp shreeks
    4) lights come in and imp is directly in front of you
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    Half life 2 and episode 1 are examples of this, where they break up monotonous gameplay segments with 'cinematic' sequences (where you lose control to watch something, or its a sequence with people talking where you cant shoot) the odd puzzle (physics ones in HL2) or even just throwing in a vehicle sequence to spice things up.

Lots of games tend to be a bit more boring as its the same thing over and over with no variety. Example, CnC3 - it might be a good RTS, but in the end it all boils down to knowing the units. Company of heroes 'randomness' fixes that beatifully (as in, a jeep can drive past 5 tanks and the tanks will miss, rather than each being a perfect shot doing X damage each time) - randomly, tactics that SHOULD fail, dont (such as running infantry up to throw sticky bombs at the tanks - if the tanks miss, you could pull off an 'impossible' achievement and cripple the tanks - therefore delaying the tanks next attack.

(Thanks ket, for getting this back on topic)
  10. gromet New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    amen lol
  12. Benpi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't insult you. I just pointed out the fact that your argument is completely flawed. I didn't call you a cheapskate technophobe grandma did I?

Also, you're using a less than 4:3 full screen image to support your theory, and your using a wider widescreen than 16:10 - even wider than 16:9 to support your theory.

It's cute how you try to lie just to get people on the internet to believe you. Nice try tho.
    Here's ACTUAL fullscreen 4:3
    [​IMG]
    Here's ACTUAL widescreen 16:10
    [​IMG]
    It isn't that big of a difference.

-We should limit all 5.1 speaker setups to 2 channels because Dippyskoodles thinks it's unfair for the people who only have 2 speakers.
    -we should limit all 3Mb/S ++ internet connections to 1.5mb/s or dialup speeds because Dippyskoodles thinks it's unfair to cheap dialup users, or cheap dsl users.
    -we should limit all RAM in all PCs to 1gb and all CPU/GPUs to the same as Dippyskoodles so we can all have the exact same framerate so, Dippyskoodles, doesn't claim he lost due to an unfair advantage.

Dippy, the world doesn't revolve around YOU. If YOU are unsatisfied with the way PCs are so easily upgradable, play Multiplayer Console games Offline only please. Or just buy a mac and don't play games at all.
  13. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

You called me "mr know it all" last i checked thats an insult.

And please, learn to spell my name right if you're going to bold it repeatedly.

Its not very hard. Its even right beside my post.

and STFU about me owning a mac thats has nothing to do with this. If you payed any attention, you would realize that all macs are wide screen already.

And lay off the double post, geez. Double posted then added a bunch of information. Its also nice when you don't double post, quoting images.

But this is getting way off topic and turning into one of its own.
  14. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I am in NO MOOD to deal with either of you today, so both of you back off, and we'll forget this ever happened, mmkay?

If you ignore me, I'm going to ensure that you will be banned for a week. If you want to fight, go take it somewhere else.
  15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    Although i'm part of the opposing party to dippy in this thread, i do find it hilarious he was told to go buy a mac, when he has one - and its quite capable of running BF2. lol.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  16. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    this thread is a joke :shadedshu:
  17. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

zek your funny!
  18. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received: