1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA Origin downloading a game @ 8.11 MB/s, Steam download a game @ 2.7 mb/s....

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Phusius, Oct 3, 2012.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You have it backwards:

8.11 Mbps = 1.01375 MBps
  2. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    8.11MB/s = 64.88Mb/s

I will concede that you did not beat me to it erocker, rather the server prioritised your post above mine.

. . . by 4 minutes.
  3. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    topic can die now guys... honestly i think something weird is going on with origin at random times, because dragon age origins downloaded for me in under 1 hr and a half... thats 30gb of data.. so i still think it was faster then the 2.7mb/s i get on steam... i dunno though, it's as if U-Verse increases my bandwidth on Origin or something, i dunno... can anyone do the math, 30gb of data in under 1 hr and 30 mins? what does that come out to?
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Define "under".
  5. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    5.5 MBps roughly
    Unless your speed test was during peak use times and your download was during off times...I doubt it.
  6. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    No my download was around same time i made this topic in the Chicago area... and I dunno erocker 1hr 20 min to 1hr 30 min... i know it downloaded all 30gb within that range though... and i know im only paying uverse for 24 down 3 up... so it doesnt make sense, unless Origin has some way of increasing my bandwidth for downloads... :/

I do know shogun 2 took almost 5 hours to download on steam... same 30gb download, well 27gb but close enough
  7. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    3gb actually makes quite a difference...that said where are you getting that just Dragon Age origins is 30gb? I'm seeing 7800MB on Amazon and Steam users reporting 14GB or so.
  8. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    dragon age ultimate edition is near 30gb.
  9. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Please link to which one you're talking about because the largest one I see in Origin is 20gb.
  10. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
  11. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Yes but is that for the install or the download though?
  12. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know, when I click download game in Origin thats what it says. Why would it download 8gb more then what its going to install?
  13. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Decompression would be my guess...
    95Viper says thanks.
  14. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Like someone already said - try compare how many users there is on Origin vs Steam......
    Binge says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I would think that the games you download will be decompressed to an extent. It is very important to these companies for bandwidth purposes to make their files delivered as small as possible while making the compression process invisible to the user.
    95Viper says thanks.
  16. variform New Member

Thanks Received:
    Neither

A single speedtest from an unknown point on the the OP's network isn't representative of max internet speed. Speedtest is rather conservative by design and by default

Both Steam and Origin are rather inaccurate.

Origin uses compression and estimates based of percentage of final install size downloaded over time. In other words from one moment to the next it guesses how fast it is downloading based on percentage complete.

Steam is all over the board. Sometimes they only display the initial game size but download far more. The download speed isn't a real measurement of current rate, rather it is a delayed estimate of a snapshot of the game download progress that the client grabs repeatedly. Their speeds sometimes look slower because the patches, etc. aren't included in the displayed rate so the speed will go up and down. It's similar to how Origin estimates but Steam looks at new data every second or so.

Neither is correct nor accurate. Origin is actually more consistent, whereas Steam is actually closer to real data rates, but highly unreliable because you don't know how big the game will be until it is finished downloading and the speeds fluctuate so much.

In theory, Origin should be faster. Steam uses peer technology to reguest data integrity and sends requests for the existence of files before they are sent so it can slow it down. Does that factor in? I don't know
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    Phusius says thanks.
  17. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    It is interesting to note I have been using steam since 2004 and haven't ever noticed any of these inconsistencies.

It has never gone above max, but it has been very slow sometimes, not often though.
  18. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I've never had an issue with Steam like that...it usually maxxes out my connection at where it should be and downloads as it says.
  19. variform New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, they're both rather good in reality. Certainly better than the older methods of downloading games, like EA before Origin, and better than most of the other services.
  20. variform New Member

Thanks Received:
    Me too for the most part. It really is certain games at certain times that trip up steam. I don't know if it's just different parts of their system using different data (new and old), and issue with extra content being forced downloaded even when you didn't buy it and them trying to hide it or what. Overall I don't really have any complaints other than innacurate download sizes at times
  21. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Ah, that was a pretty stupid oversight :banghead:

Consider my wat withdrawn :)