1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA Proposing Takeover Bid for Take-Two

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Given EA’s somewhat criticised reputation for takeovers (Bullfrog and Westwood come to mind), Grand Theft Auto fans may not be best pleased to hear that EA is now making a bid to acquire Take-Two Interactive. Take-Two has a number of major subsidiaries, with some of the best known being developers Rockstar and Firaxis, responsible for the GTA series and Sid Meier’s more recent games such as Civilization IV; along with publisher 2K Games. The company is also responsible for other well-known titles such as Manhunt and Bioshock. EA is offering $26 per share, giving the merger an approximate value of $2.5 billion. The full press release can be read here, and you can read on to see a statement posted by EA’s CEO, John Riccitiello.

Source: EA
  2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    i thought we already had a thread on this? either way EA is buying out the competition
  3. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    The link suggest communication from the 24th. So all is well at the moment unless something else develops.
  4. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    I dont care if EA takes T2...but it has be after April...I dont want to see EA's name on my GTA4 ;).
  5. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    If they do before April, they may hold the game back, put some in-game adds into it about all the other wonderful games that they have. I don't think this will happen but i wouldn't be surprised if they did.
  6. spookypld New Member

Thanks Received:
    3xNO! :p

Tako2 is the best and EA s##
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  7. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do Not Let Ea Buy Take 2!
  8. bombfirst885

bombfirst885 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So Microsoft is willing to blow 40+ billion on Yahoo, but not 2.5 billion to help out their struggling first party development. Microsoft should just bite the bullet, and buy TK2 for GTA alone.
  9. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    and then port it to xbox360 only
  10. cloaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nooooooo!

RIP GTA :'(
  11. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well said and very true bombfirst. But the real reason behind Microsoft offering so much money for Yahoo was because of the potential ad revenue that they would be making from it. And I dont think that Microsoft necessarily wants to put that same philosophy in games. Well maybe a little but not +$40Billion for it.

however I do hope that Microsoft does make a counteroffer. It would really show EA that they cant buy any developer or publisher that they want to.
  12. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Dont see anything wrong with this really. The whole GTA franchise sucks anyways, of course, that is just my opinion.

And +1 on a thread talking about this same thing. IT was a few days back that I saw it.
  13. brian.ca New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're probably right (about seeing a thread on this already), take two already declined (for now) saying EA undervalued them and just want to cash in on GTA before it's released. They offered to talk to EA after the release and I believe EA already declined. However given EAs approach there's probably still a chance of a hostile take over.

I hope not though.. I haven't had any inclination to buy any EA games in a long time and that was only cemented a few years back with the news of EA games using copy right protection that really screwed up peoples systems. That kept me from even trying out some of the few games from them that I did want to try when I found out they were distributing them (Black & White 2, and some version of them sims I think it was).

I don't want to see the EA tag on games like the next Civ installments or /shudder, the next Elder Scrolls game (think they're just the distributor there though).
  14. tiys

tiys New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm on EA's side with buying T2. It's a good move because they'll get more revenue after GTAIV comes out. It's a good investment IMHO.
  15. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    A good investment for EA but is it a good investment for gamers and independent delelopers?
  16. daboggeyman

daboggeyman New Member

Thanks Received:
  17. hacker111

hacker111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    damn. Lets dot the deal without the GTA..the devopers are fine and getting better...no need to change. Hire them to your company to help?:toast: