1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA surrenders to DRM anger.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Polarman, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Source : Fudzilla

EA surrenders

Electronics Arts is going to start flogging its Spore game free of the digital rights management restrictions that sunk the game.

EA are giving the game to Valve's Steam distribution platform without DRM. Also included are Warhammer Online, Need for Speed Undercover, Mass Effect, and FIFA Manager 09. It will cost users about the same as the DRM blighted version which is credited with driving many users to downloading the pirated versions.

Originally the company locked the game using DRM software called SecuROM to no more than three machines, which it later upped to five. There was a huge outcry among gamers which EA ignored while piracy for the game sky rocketed.

It took them that long to figure out that DRM as a negative impact on real buyers :wtf:.

2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    They are EA - it's pleasant enough that they even did at least something.

3. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    EA is, well, they are a tad slow. It's amazing how such a large company can be so poor at what they do. I think, how they hell did they get all these licenses?

4. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now we just have to wait for DRM to dissipate all together.

5. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    I am buying Crysis next week, good thing they didn't mess that game up. But DRM is just horrible and i never buy any games with DRM. I do buy games with starforce, thats safe and easy to get rid of it. Anyays, those games that they mention suck already anyway, EA fell off years ago. I am getting sick of them. They kill the NFS Series, No more Road Rash, Stupid DRM, stupid games like Spore, NBA Live games fell off from the Genesis Days, and what else, oh yea the biggest thing, the exclusive deals with the NFL. OMG that was just just low. They kill the NFL gaming community.

I really don't pay EA any mind , i think Crysis will be the last game i buy from them, until they get back to its main roots and stop the NFL Madden for 50 years deal or whatever.

6. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully some more will take example.

7. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    yeah, I really don't like the "limited install" BS, you buy the product you should be able to install it as MANY times as you want :mad:

8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Uh, Steam is DRM.

Also, Fudzilla has it completely wrong. This has nothing to with DRM and everything to do with the sales figures Steam is bringing in. EA wants part of that pie, nothing more.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Whilhelm

Whilhelm New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't class steam in the same realm as securom. At least Steam lets you install your game on however many machines you want without the disc and can even keep all your saved games on their server so you can get them from anywhere.

Valve is miles ahead in terms of their distribution system. I would never consider attempting to pirate their games and end up missing out on Valve's great support.

10. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Reminds me of Earth2160. The security system was good, after three times activation via internet, you had to call a toll free phone number. Thing is: This service does not exsist anymore... so I have to play the game in czech language.

11. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    Crysis may not have bad DRM, but Warhead certainly does. I just had to call in today because when I tried to play my game a few days ago (after installing the new 4870), it said something along the lines of, "sorry, you've reached the limit on the number of times this game can be activated. Therefore, we are going to keep you from playing the game which you PAID for, until you call our support and spend half an hour on hold listening to the most annoying song you've ever heard!"

I asked the guy on the support if he knew what was up. The reason I wanted to know is that only real enthusiasts with powerful computers are going to be able to play Crysis / Warhead. And enthusiasts are the ones changing there components often. So WTF were they thinking? (I can understand on spore, which is supposed to be able to be run on most PCs/Macs you buy at the store, but Crysis Warhead?) Naturally, he had no idea, but at least he was kind and extended my activation to 8 from 3 and wished me a happy holidays.

12. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    :roll::roll::roll:

13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    And this is exactly why any DRM with install limits is completely absurd and unforgivable.

14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    The only difference is the entity that is checked for "ownership." In the case of SecuROM, it is a CD, DVD, or BD-DVD. In the case of Steam, it is a user account on Valve servers. Effectively, SecuROM was offline activation (until recently) while Valve is online. Due to online activation, they can rapidly signal out users they deem "pirates"--different means to the same end.

Look at it this way: with SecuROM, you can at least still play the game if Sony DADC or the publisher goes out of business. If Valve goes belly up, there's going to be tens of thousands of pissed off consumers that can no longer obtain/play their lawfully purchased merchandise. I'll take offline activation over online activation every time.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Whilhelm

Whilhelm New Member

Thanks Received:
    The day valve goes belly up is the day I quit playing video games.

16. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Heh, because only Valve makes good games or because all the games you do have are property of Valve?

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Whilhelm

Whilhelm New Member

Thanks Received:
    For whatever reason I just tend to enjoy their games a lot more then most of the other games that I have played. I have so many games that I have never finished because I lose interest. Yet, that being said I cannot count the amount of times that I have replayed the Half life series.

Its my own opinion but to me Valve is the best developer around and I can't see them going bankrupt in the future because they have so much going for them.

18. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Any business can fall victim to poor management or asset loss (an important figure no longer serves the business). Yes, it is unlikely to happen in the near future but situations can change overnight.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is good news. Hopefully other companies will follow suit.

20. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Out of the frying pan into the fire?

21. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wrong, the day Valve goes belly up they'll release a patch to steam allowing you to play all of the games you purchased without running steam (Effectively making steam useless, although this will be a pain since I've got all my games shortcutted through steam). I can't be bothered to find the reference right now but I've read it a few times now.

22. Sonido

Sonido New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't you hear the intro for all their games? It says in a whisper, 'EA Buy Everything!'

EA doesn't really care for the gamer. They just want to make the most on whatever they can. Of course, piracy is driving away money, so they locked it down.

23. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    No way man EA is just basically hollywood man, they forget what made them great in the first place. They gave up making good games for the fact that they got too much cash and enough people buy their stuff to the point where they can keep on bsing. Not only that these jerks are huge publishers and have associated their name with other big name companies e.g. Squaresoft...

24. vypher New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:
    I've always wondered what the intro was saying.

25. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    it actually says challenge everything...it has been that way since 05.

but nice pun though.