1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA to charge 10 bucks for used game buyers to unlock multiplayer

Discussion in 'Games' started by DonInKansas, May 11, 2010.

1. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    At least its optional. Defeats the purpose of getting a used game though.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Let's not forget that EA is pretty quick to shut down online game servers as well. Now if the ten bucks goes towards keeping these servers open.. maybe justified. However if they continue shutting down game servers as they have done in the past well, they're then crooks.
  4. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    They've still to close bf2's at least.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank DICE for that. I'm pretty much talking about their sports titles. :)
  6. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Yeah they're diabolical for doing that to sporting titles.
  7. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    :rolleyes: cant believe they have the balls to do this shit. Best part is they are notorious for shutting down servers and never patching games...but i should buy their games new right? :roll:
  8. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    How can this be considered a bad thing?

If the alternative is to block a game's license to the first buyer, this is a lot better.

You want the game? You buy it new.
    You want the game cheaper? You buy it used, and pay an extra fee if you want to use online capabilities. You'll still be able to access all the offline features, though.

IMO this is great. Used games sales don't make much sense, TBH.
    Just look at Steam. Everybody uses it and it never allowed anyone to sell their games, you can only sell your entire account.
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Seems to only be applying to sports titles, which IMO don't really matter. Think about it:

Most used sports titles are bought because the new version has come out already, and everyone is playing the new version online. Which means the people playing the old version are probably playing single player anyway.

I'm with erocker though, if the $10 keeps the servers up and running longer, I'm all for it. The people that want to play the older games online still can pay to support the servers staying online. The ones that are only buying the game to play single player can save the $10.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Lets put it this way, you ever bought a used car? Basically the samething, people sell what they don't use anymore, what do you mean used game sales don't make much sense. If you bought a used car and then they said "well heres the car, but to use the transmission you need to pay Ford $2000", how would that make you feel?
    digibucc, qubit and El_Mayo say thanks.
  11. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    A car is an object.

Online playing isn't an object, it's a service. In some examples, people have to pay a monthly fee for that service (XBox Live, WoW, etc). This is better than that.
  12. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm a bit confused...

Does the DRM affect PS3 and Xbox360?

I see they mentioned TW 11 as the first title to get this treatment, and AFAIK Tiger Woods is no longer a PC title.
    AsRock says thanks.
  13. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  14. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    ill never buy another EA game after my madden fiasco, i bought a brand new madden game.. could not get it to install or play on my computer, the game apparently found some program on my computer it didn't like and banned me from playing the freaking game i purchased.. so i just tormented it and played the cracked version.. ill never ever buy another ea game.. even if i did it wouldn't alow me to run it on my pc
  15. roast

roast

Thanks Received:
    What will EA do next.... its gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.
  16. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow, but it was reasonable price, if just EA can release BF:BC2 MP only game for just $10, i will buying it, because right now i can't afford to buy full retail, and i just wanna play the MP version, i don't care about SP
  17. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    You're pointing out something insignificant. Buy it new, you don't pay that $10 for online playing. But it used, you have to pay $10. What they're highlighting is the distinction EA makes between a used and a new one. Whether you buy it "used" or "new" for the ones you've just mentioned, the rates would still be the same. In the case for the EA games it's "free" for the new, and $10 for the used.

And as another poster another forum said, he checked out an EA Sports game that can be bought for $25 if new. That same game is $15 when used, so he'd rather buy the new one rather than the used. Basically they're aiming for the demise of the USED GAMES market, not really on the ONLINE PLAYING market.
  18. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    But now people are going to have to reduce the price even more when selling games because you wont be able to sell a game for about 10 bucks cheaper than the original price. Might as well get it brand new. :mad: This is just gonna make piracy even more popular. :shadedshu

Soon all EA games will start charging their customers. Even those who buy brand new to pay for multiplayer. And then slowly the other companies also will start charging for multiplayer.
  19. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Why do game makers whine over used sales so much? They got the money for the game from the first person who bought it. Whatever hand changing happens after won't negatively effect them. So the only argument left is that well maybe they could get those people to buy it new some how, but even a modicum of market research would have told those fools that won't work. When I and people I know buy a used game it's because they aren't willing to buy it at the higher price. There's even a good bit of used games they won't buy because they're only $5 cheaper than getting it new.... but I guess you can't expect logic from management that spends money on DRM licensing fees from sony when it has zero impact on pirating, creates negative feelings in legit buyers, and all around motivates an increase in pirating costing them money on both ends. No.. I don't think we can ever expect a sane decision from that turd-ball of utter incompetence known as EA management.
    Scheich says thanks.
  20. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1

They rather just download the game.

P.S: This is going to affect some buyers who buy their games to play it legit and sell it off once they finish it.
  21. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder what made game devs say that PC gaming is on the decline :rolleyes:

The only outcome of this is to increase piracy, and this is going to hurt them even more.
  22. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I don't get it. I guess the publishers want PC gaming to die. Kinda stupid really since they continue to piss off the PAYING people.
  23. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Next will probably be something along the lines of "You pay us 50$ for singleplayer, AAAND, if you want that multiplayer button available you pay us for it ANOTHER 10-15$, cause we realy care about you..."
  24. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If someday that happens im going to become a pirate. Most of my genuine games are by EA, Activision and Ubisoft. Shit.. Two companies have already let me down atm. :mad:
  25. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    That's exactly why they're doing it. They're abusing the first sale doctrine, by trying to get a cut of every subsequent resale, which they have no right to do.

Barstewards. :mad: