1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA will ban you for asking for a refund

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by RCoon, Mar 8, 2013.

1. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    http://imgur.com/gallery/lAnTGEM

Apparently customers dont have rights anymore. If their game is broke, and they tell you you're allowed a refund - You're not.

2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    There's no confirmation that this is real. It would be pretty stupid for EA to behave like this to a customer.

3. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    While I agree with you let me say that EA hasn't been known to have made many right choices in the past :laugh:

4. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Official EA response is that this is untrue.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122565-Amazon-Refuses-to-Sell-SimCity

Amazon has refused to sell the game. There are multiple accounts of EA suggesting that pushing for a refund would result in customers losing their origin account. PR from the top not matching actual experience, did anyone not see this coming from EA?

EA still claims that an unplayable game is not, in fact, defective goods according to their terms of sale. The paring down of features is just temporary. The online components will eventually be functional. Origin is in fact a direct competitor to steam, and that Valve treats their customers with the same "respect" as EA does.

We don't have to worry any longer. EA is slowly slitting their wrists with respect to the average consumer. EA is removing EA dominance. What an irony.

Edit:
    Here's the deal; I hate EA's business practices. They do not deserve a defense, and Valve is no angel. The ongoing debacle with Sim City is a direct reminder that Origin is billed as a competitor to Steam, but it never acts as one. Steam removes games that are patently broken, and offers refunds to the consumers. Anyone remember the WarZ? How that broken POS was pulled from the store, and then Valve offered refunds to any customer who wanted them.

EA has the same opportunity. They have to deal with physical inventory, but that's no excuse. EA could actively tell consumers that there is a problem, and offer refunds. They get the appropriate patches, and re-release the game once they actually know it will work. They aren't doing this.

Valve turns a PR disaster into a shining example of how to support your customers. EA has the exact same situation, but is penalizing their customers. I can think of no better short hand for the difference in corporate ethos. EA, what the hell happened to you? You're making Activision and Uplay seem like reasonable responses.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  5. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Agreed.

I stopped bothering with them when they launched Origin, what a POS platform man.

garyinhere says thanks.
  6. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    It's sad though because EA does make fun games. I've enjoyed many EA titles, heck just look at EA Sports's popularity.

I was really looking forward to SimCity. It's a beautiful game that reminds me of the times I played it back in the 90's.

7. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Waits for press release blaming the problems on piracy in 5...4...3......

radusorin and qubit say thanks.
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I have chated with EA customer support and this is completely believable. They do not have customer-centric policies and they haven't for over a decade. The solution is simple: buy the retail version from a retailer with a good return policy and don't buy directly from EA. If you have a physical product to return, your bargaining position is much stronger due to consumer protection laws.

However, I am very certain the customer service rep "misspoke" about the "ban" bit. That's probably what pissed people off the most and I can't see that statement being true.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. caleb

Thanks Received:
    From a corporation point of view it looks like Origin customer support is outsourced.
    Don't feel cheated its just how it is nowday's. Company you talked to has strict deals how to do and process stuff for EA and until they get any other instructions they won't do nothing - thats what the Agent said POLICY. EA just bought a little time to fix the issues with PR crap. Sit back and relax they will sort it out and move along...

10. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    STEAM is not better ...

syeef says thanks.
  11. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    at least steam wont ban you for asking for refunds.

I have personally asked for refunds a few times from steam and they have always given it to me.

There are a few TPU members who got refunds for CoD:MW2 off steam as the game was just terrible at launch, totally infested with hackers and aimbotters due to the removal of dedicated servers.

I rarely will ask for a refund but there are games which seem like they might be ok at first but end up being the smelly brown mess you scrape off the bottom of your shoe after a long walk in a public park.

12. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I think most people consider steam to be much, much better.

13. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    They refunded pre-orders and they refunded people Warz, due to alleged false advertisement.

Steam is better.

14. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Ok, thanks for your replies :) I didn't have a good experience with Steam so that's my opinion; I agree that most people are happy with it.

15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Nexuiz. I begrudge the lousy £7 I spent on it. Looks great, plays crap.

16. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree when I bought sword of the stars 2(nearly 100% broken on release) I asked steam for a refund and they apologized and gave me the refund.

17. odameyer

odameyer

Thanks Received:
    +1
    Now if only they would allow us to backup our games without any DRM and play offline....

18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. I have received refunds from EA via Origin on more than one occasion.

19. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Maybe because they know you are CaDaveCa of TPU, and they dont like to f**k with TPU'rs

20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Actually, it's probably because I know to be very civil in my conversing with them. If you are rude and swearing, sure, you're gonna get banned, and as soon as I hear about something like this, I know that's what happened.. somebody tried to get a refund, was refused, got rude, and then got banned. Trying to get the refund probably isn't why they got banned.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  21. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    This is BS. I chatted with EA about not being to add Dead Space 1 to Origin when I owe a physical copy. They not only showed me the strange stuff you have to do to "de-authorize" my original install to add to Origin, they gave me $10 off my next purchase for the frustration.

EA are douches for a number of reasons, but customer service doesn't seem to be the issue.

22. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    A discount is common no matter the reason why you contacted them. They're trying to drum up business on Origin.

A full refund from EA? I've haven't heard of that happening on Origin.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Always on DRM just promotes piracy in my eyes. I buy software fairly regularly, but if the DRM is overly intrusive I would rather get a cracked version.

The problems people are experiencing with the game are a direct result of shoddy implemented DRM and it appears EA do not wish to accept that.
    (That there is a real problem and people deserve their money back for buying a different experience from the one advertised)

24. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    i know, DRM is ok if done right (STEAM STYLE) but having to be online all the freaking time is evil, think about those that has unstable connections? (i myself drop out sometimes too)

25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Pretty easy on pre-orders and freshly launched titles. call within 24 hours of launch or purchase, it's not big deal. It also depends on your region, too, as different regions have different laws about refunds. It's actually easier to get a refund from Origin than it is from STEAM, let me tell you.