1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA will ban you for asking for a refund

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by RCoon, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Aye, if you are calm and understanding everything becomes a whole lot easier.

And this screams "need more info".

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Weather or not this is true, the fact is that EA will not ban you for asking for a refund.

They will ban you for purchasing something and then filing a charge-back with the credit card company, that is what the customer is talking about doing here when EA says they will ban his account. This is basically any companies policy. If you file a charge-back with a company, don't expect to continue to do business with them. I know I certainly don't continue to do business with anyone that files a charge-back on me.

Also, EA is refunding people. This persons problem is he is impatient and wants an immediate refund instead of following the process he should be following. He should have gone to the website given and filled out the form for his refund. Each refund is evaluated on a case by case basis and if EA decides you have a valid reason for a refund they will give you one. In this case the game being unplayable is a valid reason and they have been issuing refunds to people, I'm one of them. I bought the game Tuesday when it was released, went to play it Tuesday night and couldn't because of the huge queues for the servers. Wednesday when they said they would issue refunds and gave the URL to do it I filed for a refund. My refund happened this morning. Following the instruction for how to get a refund is how you get a refund, contacting customer support, threatening to file a charge-back with the CC company, and acting like a total jackass is not.

Exactly, and in this case they only said they would ban him if he did a charge-back with his bank, they say that plain as day. They are not banning him for asking for a refund, they are banning him for violating the terms of their agreement by filing a charge-back with his bank.

Azazel, cadaveca and bpgt64 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    If EA had half a brain, they'd remove the online DRM, and continue to improve Origin. I actually like the program itself when it comes to distribution. Downloads are always very fast(Can't say the same about Valve).

digibucc says thanks.
  4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    and recently they've been having sales. I bought Dead Space 3 without planning on it, and I got SimCity on sale sooo... just the DRM left to bring them down. come on EA you could be GOOD! ;)

5. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its because he said he will get a refund via his bank, every digital game distributor will ban you for that.

6. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    DRM is nessecary due to the pirating of PC games. IF people would stop stealing games we wouldn't have to deal with this. I for one respect DRM because it ensures the publisher/developers and all parties envolved get their money from a product that they rightfully should.

Saying DRM is stupid is a ignorant statement IMO.

7. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    I'm kind of surprised this thread has so much traffic, the customer wanting the refund specifically mentions a chargeback and that is when the EA rep tells him it will result in his account being banned. Regardless of what is wrong with the game is anyone really stupid enough to think that doing a chargeback like that in regards to digital content is a good idea?:shadedshu

8. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    No.

I pirate games. I say this, while still claiming legality, because I have never not purchased a game that I "pirated." I've paid the publisher for the game, but I want to play it my way. The only way to do this is to break their crappy DRM, through "piracy." Penalizing the loyal customers, while not stopping actual piracy, is stupid. That is the current state of DRM.

This said, the piracy questions isn't what we're addressing here. There was a claim that EA will cut your Origin account, which is untrue. While I hate EA, the reaction we're seeing is unreasonable.

9. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    drm talk,:shadedshu

but ye if he did chargeback when they said they would try to refund(after the transaction finished), hell id ban him too.

10. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    If game companies stopped charging us $60 for a new title (not to mention extra for DLC's)or gave us the 360/PC/PS3 versions of the game on one disc and gave us proper demos there would be less pirating.

11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, but that's garbage. DRM does nothing to stop pirating, but inconveniences and pisses off paying customers instead.

Check this out for just one of hundreds of examples that show how DRM is bad:

Just Cause 2 Developer On Why It Won't Utilize DRM: 'It Treats Our Fans Like Criminals'

digibucc says thanks.
  12. syeef

Thanks Received:
    Steam Support is a Joke, this is what they replied me for my last two support tickets after making me wait for weeks, and one of them I asked for refund (false advertisement and broken game):

13. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:

Oh yes, DRM is a brilliant idea that exists only to protect those of us who are buying the content. I wish DRM would hurry up and be applied to real world objects to protect my rights, and the rights of the manufacturer!

14. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:

Not a press release, but I knew someone would say this.

DRM really does not stop piracy, there are always ways to crack the games. I'm not saying DRM doesn't work on some level, as I am sure it does stop people lending each other games to copy, but it could be done on a much less intrusive level.

You will never stop piracy, without locking down our computers at the hardware level, but there are much better ways of combating it.

15. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    False advertisement usually involves complaints from lots of people which form a voice loud enough for steam to take notice.

IDK what you mean by a broken game?

16. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You are exactly right, even this style of DRM eventually gets cracked. Diablo III uses the same system and has been cracked with a server emulator. SimCity won't be any different.

I'm for basic levels of DRM that aren't intrusive, but the level that EA has gone to is unacceptable. I just hope EA learns the lesson quickly like Ubisoft did and drops always on DRM.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  17. syeef

Thanks Received:
    They sold me Digital Deluxe CD-KEY which the game (Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands) and UPlay won't accept, this is not a connection issue, as I have other games (entire AC Series) under UPlay, also purchased from Steam and they work fine.

18. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Please note: the following is not meant to defend EA in any way.

Can you please provide full screenshots of this? I'm curious as to how thier responses are.

We see tons of EA ones and I think we need to see some of these too.

As a matter of fact anyone that has any really bad support rep responses feel free to post those as well.

19. syeef

Thanks Received:
    http://img.techpowerup.org/130309/Steam1.jpg
    http://img.techpowerup.org/130309/Steam2.jpg
    http://img.techpowerup.org/130309/Steam3.jpg
    http://img.techpowerup.org/130309/Steam4.jpg
    http://img.techpowerup.org/130309/Steam5.jpg

The other support ticket as mentioned in post 18-19, at first support told me they can help, but later they refused to help and replied me again - "sorry we were unable to resolve the issue".

I contacted Ubisoft, and they too didn't fix anything as of yet. 60+ days have passed.

remixedcat says thanks.
  20. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    The rep's tone changed a lot as well. you should have asked for an escalation.