1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Earth Hour

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by mlee49, Feb 28, 2009.

1. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Last year I brought this to TPU's attention and I feel it's a worthy cause. Basically you can help support a world wide effort to help with global warming. If you take the time to read more about it, you really can help make a difference.
    Official website it www.earthhour.org and you can learn more about this project.

All you have to do is power down your lights for one hour for one day and be apart of the cause. You can take the initiative to power down your TV, Radio, and even your computer if you like(maybe just run the laptop on battery power for that hour).

It's only one hour to help with a world wide cause, think about it.

Kei and kiriakost say thanks.
  2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the perfect time for a terrorist attack lol I might do this but I will probably remember by the time it's over..

"4—US TV networks planning coverage."
    What? So they will be covering it while we have our TV's off? :laugh:

3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    They stagger the "outages" over the time zones and record NY powering down and display it in Chicago.

4. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do not have to think it , i am in . :toast:

mlee49 says thanks.
  5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    March 28th i will be shutting down for an hour.

mlee49 says thanks.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Indeed. I try my best not to waste any resource or commodity. :toast:

7. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    people already do this, its called early morning. What you need to do is stop the power stations producing so much power. and apparently in the USA, stop making quilted toilet paper... i read it in the guardian today, like 90% is from virgin forest where as in the EU and latin america 40% is recycled paper. although i heard that recycling paper produces more CO2 than making new paper. seems like we cant win

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I buy Scott TP. It's thin and rough but gets the job done. :ohwell:

9. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    anyway trees are carbon inefficient, plankton is where its at. we need more plankton, anyway there is already an entire thread on this, maybe a movement to that thread needs to happen.

SK-1 says thanks.
  10. olithereal

olithereal New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm in. One hour is nothing for a good cause.

mlee49 says thanks.
  11. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Excellent Attitude! I'll be posting a reminder as it gets closer.

It really is a good cause that we can participate in. The results will not be apparent the day after, but what happens next year when twice as many people power down for one hour? What about the next year and the year after? Raising the awareness is a huge first step for a global cause and I'll do my best to help! :toast:

12. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks mate ..

13. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm in.

mlee49 says thanks.
  14. das müffin mann

das müffin mann New Member

Thanks Received:
    why not i am pretty sure i can find something to do without lights or my computer for an hour
    hell i might even go for 2 hours, i know it's risky but i think i can do it

15. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    How many resources were wasted, printed, burned, used up to make this face a go?

Earth hour has so far wasted electricity-paper-fuel for use on

746,698—unique visitors to www.EarthHourUS.org.
    105,727—registered participants on the Earth Hour US website to date.
    48,000—letters sent to elected officials asking for action on climate change via the Earth Hour website.
    29,000—number of times the official Earth Hour video has been viewed on YouTube in the past 90 days. Average is 1,500 views a day.
    1,000—new friends signing up to WWF's Facebook page each day as a result of Earth Hour.
    8,000—blogs mentioning Earth Hour to date.
    4,314—unique visitors to the EarthHourKids.org site.
    200—stories about Earth Hour on prominent online sources in the US (not including blogs). Highlights include Huffington Post, Boston Globe, Sprig and Blender.
    78—countries taking part in Earth Hour. Nearly 700 cities have already signed up.
    75—TV news stories in the US featuring Earth Hour.
    28—US cities now pledged to turn out for Earth Hour.
    4—US TV networks planning coverage.

I only say farce as the people will still be driving, airplanes flying, truckers hauling, ships sailing, people watching the "news coverage" of the event, and work being done. This falls in line with the idea of solar power, instead of giving money to a already bad idea, just send out a free LED or CF light with every utility bill for a year. Force people to buy newer cars and get the old junkers off the road, give a credit for every car over a certain age to offset the cost of a new car, then recycle them.

In my opinion this is a bury your head in the sand feel good waste. I have already changed to CF, upgraded all my appliances, my furnace, water heater, and insulated my home well, and am in the process of changing my basement windows to Pella high efficency.

Want to make the largest difference? Drive a smaller car that gets better mileage, increase over the road taxtion on freight transport, etc...

FordGT90Concept and ShadowFold say thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  16. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    I can do that as well...heck I'm always building my machines to use a little power as possible anyway so what's better than being off. :D

People do waste so many resources without ever thinking about it that it's amazing. During some (hell I could say ALL) inspections I was giving at some building sites while I talked with the clients on how things were going or just shooting the breeze for an hour or two........I can't even BEGIN to count how many of the supervisors, foreman, and other inspectors would show up and leave their huge fuel splurging trucks running the whole time.

I mean I would see guys during my inspections that would LITERALLY leave their vehicles running 4-8 hours at a time! The sad part was that they would complain about fuel prices (yea....right) while doing it, and they're in COMPANY vehicles in the first place! If you don't even pay for it you have no right to complain, if you're wasting it just because you don't pay for it....well I don't have words to describe what I think of you.

It made me sick to my stomach at times being on a site for 10-13hrs and seeing how many vehicles were just left on....with noone in it....all day....every day....for NO DAMN REASON! :mad:

Kei

mlee49 says thanks.
  17. rampage

Thanks Received:
    its a fantastic idear in theory, the only problem is like here in australia the power companies still keep buring there fosil fuels for that hour so the same ammount of carbon is released into the atmosphere ;( so over all nothing is gained besides were are sitting in the dark for a hour

if people and business )businees being the biggest fator) used energy saving light, turned of lights when not in the room, got more efficent heating / cooling, and turned off pc's when not using them power usages would drop alot more then just turning things off for a hr. just ppl in general are to lazzy to do the all year round, insted most just do it for one day

i know if my work actualy shut down all there pc's (aprox 100) that the end of the day they would save sooo much energy and on energy bills.. lest say on average 90 watts idle (P4 systems) times 100 thats 9,000 watts of power saved every hr times that by 16 hrs a day that equals 144 kilawatss and now times that by 365 that equals 52,560 kilawatts now times that by 18cents per killawatt thats a saving of $9,460 dollars a year just for having pc's running doing nothing

imadgine if every business, school, and home did that .......

18. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    -Power is produced at a rate approximately equal to the rate it is consumed.
    -Nuclear and coal power plants form the backbone for the USA (and pretty much the world) power production.
    -Nuclear plants take a few days to turn off/on.
    -Coal plants take a few hours to turn off/on.
    -When excess power is being produced, plants are taken off the grid. This means they are still producing power but it isn't being used.
    -Peak power load is between 12pm to 3pm when everyone's air conditioner is countering the heat of the sun at its strongest.

The only way this could do any good is if it is during peak hours and if it is sufficient enough to take some of the peak plants offline (usually powered by methane, fuel oil, or gasoline; can be turned on and off in a matter of minutes). As such, this inititive has minimal impact on the environment from the status quo.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:

I appreciate your detailed statement, but this purpose isn't about saving the earth in one hour. Its about a Global Scale effort to help raise awareness and to get people who think "My measly contribution wont help, whats the difference" to realize that it does help.

Earth Hour isn't about shutting down all the power plants and grids for power, its about a collection of people, organizations, and cities who are committing one hour of their time to help a good cause.

I think that it is mostly an awareness raising effort on a global scale to get the issue out there and that the world can change, one hour at a time.

I do also realize that a larger impact on the environment would be a reduction of vehicles or newer designs that dont emit dangerous gases. In theory we could pull off a larger scale effort if everyone in America did not drive their car for just one day. The amount of fuel saved would be amazing, the amount of by products not being released would be staggering, but the car manufacturing plants would still make cars that day. It's all about an effort that you can choose to give.

20. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    i hate to be a downer, but i agree with steevo, its a little too late we started carrying about it 150 yrs too late. now were jsut doing it to make ourselves feel better. really no point. i figured out some theories long ago and it would take appromataly 70 yrs of no cars or power plants or pollution for our atmosphere to completly heal. i dont see that happening

21. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Realize that it may actually take less energy to use an old car than it takes to manufacturer a brand new one. The majority of modern cars are only marginally more efficient than the cars made back in the lates 70s and 80s. Recycling takes a great deal of energy as well.

The long term goal should be to make all long distance land transportation work on rails. The only thing more efficient than a freight train is a cargo ship. Moreover, if all the rails were electrified, the only source of pollution would be power plants. Power plants will some day be operating mostly on fusion which is zero emissions and minimal risk (less risk than a coal plant). Nuclear power plants can take over for the meantime.

Essentially, the answer isn't to change habits (habits rarely change); the answer is to bring the system up to 21st century technology instead of expanding on mid 20th century technology.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its why I built and maintain a 1,200W Wind Turbine. During the Spring and Fall and some in the Winter I sell surplus power back to the power company... Wind is very efficient, and best of all.. FREE.
    Cost me about $1500 to get the turbine up and running but over the course of 3-4 yrs it will of paid for itself 2x.

23. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Coal plants have a three day shutdown cycle. Three days for our local 500MW plant.

They burn the coal and keep it burning at what the maximum efficency rate for average energy demand is. Excess heat energy is boiled off as steam and sent up cooling stacks, if they need more on high demand they start their Natural Gas turbines (250MW) untill the coal unit is fired to the next rate.

One of my people at work, her husband works at the local plant, and my best friends father works at the same one. Shutdown for them is 3 days of working 18-20 hour days, repairs are made 24/7 and then they refire and that takes about a day for the coal beds to reheat and them to really start getting use out of them. The excess steam there is used to heat a huge greenhouse complex for growing alot of tomatoes and other veggies. They have scrubbers and many other cleaning systems in place, but the brown haze on still days sets in quickly. They have reburners, exhaust bagging, and a few other things too. But it still doesn't stop it from polluting. One hour of less electricity only means a couple hundred pounds ofl coal less burned. Everyhousehold using a CF bulb instead of a 100W for a front porch light and used 12 hours per day, 75W X 12hrs =.9Kw less per day per house, so town of 10,000ish would save almost 9,00KW per day. My CF in my front porch light works in the subzero in the light fixture fine. Right now my PC is the worst offender on the power side, 24/7 and when running F@H or gaming irt probably consumes 500W+

10 Million points folded for TPU
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    If we power down our lights and forget to turn off our 1000watt PSUs will it make any difference to the polar bears?

25. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    The problem with CF bulbs is they use a lot of exotic (and toxic) materials like mercury whereas incandescent is just metal and glass. It's a lot like nuclear power, come to think of it. If you take the "clean" route, you deal with more prolonged, dangerous disposal process. As with most "green" technologies, it represents delayed environmental damage (in a refined form) rather than immediate (unrefined--can be processed by nature relatively quickly).

Crunching for Team TPU