1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA's Latest Attempt To Sabotage BF3

Discussion in 'Games' started by xenocide, Jul 11, 2011.

1. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    http://www.destructoid.com/dice-isn-t-making-any-modding-tools-for-battlefield-3-205446.phtml

So now apparently the PC Community won't get the Mod Tools they were expecting, because they are too stupid and weak-minded to handle DICE's engine that can single-handedly cure cancer and provide infinite clean energy for all mankind, and exclusively supports DX11. This is actually worse than why Activision denied Mod Tools for MW2, at least their excuse of "because we want people to play the game the way we designed it" holds some weight. Literally saying people are too stupid to handle it is a direct insult, instead of just insulting their expectations.

Not sure about everyone else, but it's starting to seem like if DICE were allowed to call the shots with BF3, it would easily displace MW3. But EA is fighting them every step of the way to copy every negative decision that Activision has made with the CoD series. It's almost as if they think there was a direct correlation between how much you can piss off your base, and how well your game will sell. Apparently the fact that they tried that and it failed terribly with Medal of Honor didn't really stick with them.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Take a look at the link again. :p

_JP_, caleb and jmcslob say thanks.
  3. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Modding BF3 doesn't concern me in any way, but I did find the CoD and kids article a good read. :)

5. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I'm more concerned about the alleged Origins exclusive release, although they have time to remedy this. The game will undoubtedly sell millions, irrespective of the release platform, whereby it will be difficult to illustrate that this is a failed marketing ploy that will cost them many, many sales.

6. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Why wont some people understand that its all about money ? They don't make video games to make you happy and give it for free do they ? Now they wont give you mod tools so that you buy more DLC from them its that simple. Blizzard/WOW does it for years and now its time for FPS.
    PS.COD and kids is a nice1 :)

7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I had a friend who was a hardcore fan of Gears of war. he never played anything else but gears of war in his free time. but after a while he just completely stopped playing the game.

Why? was because there were too many 'kids' playing on the servers and trolling an whining when they got killed that it just totally killed his love for the game. I dont mind kids joining in with the game but if their the loudmouthed inbred redneck types then, their something i can do without.

and im glad they stay with simple games like CoD where all you need to do is mindlessly run and gun with no second thought for tactics or teamplay. It keeps BF2/BC2 nappy free. In all the hours ive spent playing BF2 and BC2. I dont think ive ever come across a player under the age of 13.

there ive come across more girls playing BF2 then players under 13 i should say. but then again not everyone gives out their real age online so meh.

8. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Not worried at all about this, he didn't call anyone stupid, people are over reacting. Like DICE has already said, 1942 had no mod tools, the community just said "fuck it we are modding this". And it shocked them, if people are smart enough to do that, let them do so with BF3, if they aren't then he's correct.

NAVI_Z and TheMailMan78 say thanks.
  9. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    They have no plans to license out the engine, it's EA / DICE exclusive tech and uses EA exclusive middleware that they probably can't distribute even if they wanted to... and then on top of that there's MORE middleware they have to worry about licensing in a way that allows others to use it. For all people know, the entire thing is a buggy, broken fucking mess internally, it's not uncommon or impossible. The tool chain behind it is probably ridiculous.

It's not meant for public consumption any way you slice it. DICE doesn't want it, EA doesn't want it. It's their tech, it's their advantage, they want to make games with it that destroy others. Epic, Valve, Crytek, etc are all in the engine licensing business, letting people go hog wild is free advertisement. It's win / win for them and they get to pick up talent along the way.

Love how people go fucking retarded when they heard NO MODDING?!?!

rpsgc says thanks.
  10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The only way I could see this being justified is if they have to compile the BF3 maps on a super computer in order to prepare it for all the physics.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    and let the games begin!!!!

12. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Could be EA and Dice plan om giving patches out more often then Steam,Hey look it up on Google....And with the way DLC is on steam pay pay pay maybe Origin will not be that way.It is in Valve`s agreement to have it pay and then EA/Dice pay them for them to have a patch .

13. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    we put a conspiracy in your conspiracy so you can conspire while you conspire.

MT Alex, Rowsol, qubit and 1 other person say thanks.
  14. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    My head hurts! :laugh:

BumbleBee says thanks.
  15. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, but this part of your statement I can't really follow. Are you saying DLC costs money because of Steam (Vietnam expansion and Specact)?

16. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    he's saying EA's left cheek, is rubbing on its right cheek.... ^^...

17. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    EA is just as bad about DLCs as Valve and Ubisoft (if not worse). Just look at Mass Effect 2. There's like a dozen paid DLCs on there. Can't forget The Sims too where their entire model revolves around expansion after expansion after expansion.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  19. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Yes, DLC can be bad in the wrong hands. You have no farther than horse armor to look that fact square in the face.

Yes, DLC can be good. Mass Effect 2 has two decent DLCs, and Half-Life episodes are the best DLC out there. It can be done.

What we're arguing is not against of for DLC, we're looking at modding tools. Please try to keep that referrence in mind. If there is a will, and a good game, there will be a mod. I don't see Crysis 2 mods in the future, but I can see Fallout 3 standing up right now to deliver its pimp hand to an ignorant ho.

I've seen good mods, bad mods, and bizarre fever dreams that people called mods. None of them are what the developer intended, and are likely so much of a niche that they would not be profitable if you tried to sell them. While this may break game-flow, sometimes you want to retexture an enemy into my little pony and demonstrate the fine art of chainsaw lobotomies.

DICE not releasing mod tools, because they would be too complex, smacks of internal strife rather than justifiable complexity. Sometime you have to wonder how much of this is DICE, and how much is EA trying to make sure the consumer pays every nickle and dime that they can wring out of them. Origins is an interesting experiment on EA's part, but I can't help to question whether EA has enough IP to back its own download service. Steam works because people (currently, I'm aware of the history) trust it. The same cannot be said for some of the insidious business practices of EA.

Back on topic (I'm guilty of meandering, sorry), releasing mod tools in a shooter would give it new life. The community giving that life brings in new players (while alienating others). EA is trying to extend life with DLC, but maintain a cohesive experience by denying oddball mods. It's an interesting concept, given that Apple used the same reasoning to justify their walled garden. Anyone out there playing BF2 on a Mac...?

qubit says thanks.
  20. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Another insightful answer, my friend. :toast: I love the bit above especially. :roll:

I wouldn't trust EA either.

21. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    thank god it is only a video game! think of the madness that could be unleashed if this were something important!!

Rowsol, rpsgc and pr0n Inspector say thanks.
  22. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Does BFBC2 have modding tools?

23. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    I`m saying EA pays Valve to place patch on there system,Then has to pay them to have the DLC,So if we pay $9 FOR A DLC EA is Paying like $14 for that plus what ever patch they release.So with Origin they will not have to pay out their ass for us to have DLC and patches,It would explain why some company`s release a patch on day 1 or 2 .Then wait until after the 3 months of sales to see if it is worth the time to continue with DLC and patches.Take Home--Front as an example.

24. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Of course I copied the wrong link haha. But anyway, I think it's just silly that EA has the chance to publish a game that really competes with the MW series, and rather than add everything that could accomplish that, they are slowly chopping it up to look identical to the competition.

25. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I don't think that is the case at all to be honest. I highly doubt any money is involved with patches, or most companies would just install a patch downloader in their game to by pass that. As for DLC, it's possible Valve sees a cut of the pie, but I'm doubt it has any end effect on costs.