1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA's Latest Attempt To Sabotage BF3

Discussion in 'Games' started by xenocide, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    pretty sure this is not how it works.

steam takes a cut for the base game (don't know how they handle paid content), but afaik, it's more or less the lowest amount of any distribution service and i'm pretty sure it costs nothing for developers to push and deploy patches / free content... because that's the exact problem valve sought to avoid. MS charges a hefty amount for distributing patches past the first one or something like that, which is one reason why TF2 on the 360 updated so slow. unless you defer your patches into one giant fucking bundle, you are literally pissing money away over what should be completely trivial to do.
  2. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    This is pretty much the case. To my knowledge Valve only takes a very small percentage of each sale compared to other places, and the publishers I believe still have decent control over what price their games are sold at. I think Valve even sells a lot of games at a loss during their big sales. As far as Patches are concerned, there is no way it costs people money like on Xbox Live, otherwise I wouldn't get patches for AAAGH like once a week because it's a tiny indie developer. Most companies avoid the patch system altogether by having a Patcher that launches with the game. DLC probably costs something because it's stored on Steam Servers, but I doubt it's enough to prevent companies from being profitable.

The key point, is that the game is only not appearing on Steam, and something tells me it's EA's fault. I find it hard to believe that Valve is the one saying they don't want to distribute BF3\ME3, especially considering EA bragged they would be Origin Exclusives months ago.
  3. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle

Thanks Received:
    No.
    erocker says thanks.
  4. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    EA doesn't have to pay shit(even that much), i don't understand how EA has to pay a shit load of money for DLC's. People can let this fly over there heads like nothing. Its add/on content, you already payed for the license to use the software. There taking even more money off you, for extra content on a licensed software your already payed for COMPLETELY AND FULLLLY.

Some of that DLC is probably shit they already made while actually designing the game, they just tweak the extra stuff the leave out on release, and release it later, with just tweaks and charge you money for it. Its like paying for a extra 30 seconds in a song for itunes for 50 cents more.

Thats complete bullshit, people should really fuckin speak and stop letting companys take advantage of shit like that.

But thats not happening. Its being hosted online, Via servers from company's who host them, and get a profit margin from the entire game industry and everything they host.
    Technically, there not wasting any resources (cd disk/Boxes/ect) its all digital, or practically endless. Its just extra data to a license of software they(you) already purchased, If they just released DLC without a price tag, that would still increase game sales, for returned profit.

But they do it the easy way, and make millions of dollars of DLC because we decide to buy it up for the prices they put them at.

Bottled water, cost more then gas today most of the time to, just look at it with a bigger perspective.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
    H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  5. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Forbes:
    http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0228/technology-gabe-newell-videogames-valve-online-mayhem.html

70 million in sales with a gross profit of 55 million. Good sweet lord, that's a chunk of change well beyond most conventional game makers reckoning. Care to add any accusations of Steam gouging developer profit margins? They don't have to, period.

Consider a thought exercise. Most developers release physical media, and in-turn get maybe a 30% gross profit. Once that covers all of the costs, you're down to pennies on the dollar. If steam makes a 78% profit margin (55/70) they can pay their bills (personnel, hardware, and software updates), deliver greater margins to the developer, and still make a fat profit. Whenever you look at it, the developer can consistently make more money (10% more in a 50-50 profit split), does not have to manufacture their product (physical media carries high costs and risks), and still leaves a sizeable chunk of profits for Valve.

With everything I have said, do you not see EA's transparent motivation? They want the nearly 80% profits from everything, without having to pay a perceived "tax" to be on Steam. The problem is that Steam has withstood nerd firing squads, and proven that it is a venerable and trusted solution. EA has proven that they will screw consumers left and right for the perceived threat of piracy. They have released half baked DRM schemes again and again, without the slightest breath between screaming that sales are down and the cause must be consumer piracy. They piss on their customer base, and wonder why their sales figures are decreasing.

~sigh~

EA ranting is for somewhere else. It's almsot akin to trolling at this point. We all realize that they can only pull this crap off because of how big they are.

Back to the original topic. EA is trying to increase sales, without spending a whole lot of money. I view Origins as a half baked scheme by the upper level management, who thought "Hey, we're paying Valve to be on Steam. Why don't we stop paying them, and fall back on our own catalog to create a very profitable online distribution system?" without regards to the massive hardware and software investment that makes Steam so acceptable to use. It will be another goat-f***, which isn't hard to see given how many other people have tried to compete with Steam without a solid backing and an exceptional games catalog.

I wonder how long until EA realizes that even with an online presence, that it wasn't piracy that caused losses (it was their own limited vision and perceived disdain for their own customers). It will be a day in the not too distant future hopefully, maybe then EA can stop sucking so hard...

I can dream, can't I.....
    H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    When did EA screw the customers? I'm not following the gaming scene very close these days, but i've never understood the EA rage.

Also, duh. They're a company that has a single purpose: To make as much profit as possible.
  7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    EA hate is based upon their DRM and project $10. They actively project (in my experience) that the customer is a pirate and you should have to have their express permission (which can be revoked for any reason at all) to play anything you buy from them. EA tried to have online checks (every time you entered the game) to run their games years ago, which was immensely stupid. They tried to limit the number of installs on software on Bioshock. They charged $15 to unlock basic aspects of gameplay on Mass Effect 2, assuming you had the gall to purchase a used copy.

If you've got time, check out the South Park (crack baby basketball) episode for the general feeling I get from EA summed up into a single sentence.

I do not argue with them seeking profits. I do not believe they are in the wrong for trying this. I believe it will be a huge flop, and EA will try to say that it's the consumers' fault for the failure. This is their track record, and I will remain otherwise ambivalent until EA can prove that they are delivering something worth my time.

The hate I express for EA is not without reason, which you'll find if you look back at EA's track record. I am not opposed to capitalism and seeking a profit (McD's and Microsoft exist because they are good at what they do); I am opposed to doing something immensely foolish, then inevitably blaming your consumers for decisions that the blind man can see are foolish. Seeking to earn an extra 10 cents may well cost EA, and make it difficult for consumers to get their gaming fix.
    Frick says thanks.
  8. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    most of the EA rage stems from them basically running most of there older good titles straight into the ground via half baked releases and shitty support lol
  9. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    No and that's why we had to wait so damn long for new maps besides just mode rehashes. And I'd still like more. As I said in the BF3 clubhouse no mod tools is hardly a deal breaker but to say it doesn't affect you in any way not to have them is a bit much imo.
  10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Ahh that. It feels like that's the general direction of gaming today, not just EA.
  11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    They aren't accounting for the high cost of bandwidth and servers.

EA actually isn't the worst about DRM/piracy, Ubisoft is. The examples are numerous (Tages, Star-Force, always on-connection required for single player games, etc.). The only thing EA is really guilty of is not releasing enough patches and those patches failing to remove DRM after they're done milking it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    You're not a true BF fan if you're saying that lack of mod tools ain't a big deal.

Just saying...
    Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  13. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    A Swedish gaming site i read daily reported a few days back that the game wont SHIP with mod tools, but that it's not impossible it will come later.

edit/ Basically the same story but the headline was "Battlefield 3 - no mod tools "right now"", im not sure if the writer is at fault or what. It didn't say anything about "right now" in the article itself.
  14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! So BF3 not having modding tools won't make any difference to me. BC2 seems to have worked out well anyways. I've been playing BF2 for years and could care less about modding tools.
  15. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    http://www.neowin.net/news/ea-hints-that-valves-steam-wont-give-ea-control-over-patches-and-dlc
    ;)

Amen dude ,I just hope that other company`s won`t follow the $$$ greed,I read today EA buys PopCap Games for 750 mill uhm ...And they say EA is trying to sabotage BF3 from it being absent on Steam.....The Origin/Steam Diva Opera continues.

In case some of you are wondering I am neutral about all this I like Steam and have been a user since it`s release in Oct 20003, So I just hope EA does not charge us a few $ for DLC.Kind a feel like, say why can`t we all just get one option with all games like ,World Steam were all company`s can sell and give out different area`s there so called exclusive DLC call it World OF Steam or something.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
  16. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Thats a nice opinion, but it simply that, an opinion. Would I like modding tools? Yes. Is it a deal breaker for me? No. Have I been extremely happy with BC2 maps and modes? Yes. Does BF3 bring a ton more to the table? Yes.

Sounds good to me.
  17. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Meh, this news ain't worrying me:eek: but EA!:mad: this game better come on steam you foolz:toast:
  18. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I lean much more towards ktr's assessment than erocker's but yeah I was like the first to say this is not a deal breaker.
  19. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    How people feel/think about this game will show itself once the beta is released. That's when people will care or not about mod tools, commander, como-rose, etc.
  20. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I'll play a little devil's advocate here. Are video games art? For arguments sake, let's say yes. I dont' know of any artist (unless it's directly involved in the piece itself) that would allow their work to be copied and modded. It takes away from the purpose of the piece of art and the artists vision.
  21. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    unless that is the vision, and with some games/devs it is.

games are art for sure. some crappy art, but still. some game devs/artists like modders.
    modification is a part of art, and has been for...ever probably.

what about found/re-purposed art, that's a modification. is that not art?
    remixes? i mean, good remixes - that take talent. that's art i think.
  22. Raijian

Raijian New Member

Thanks Received:
    So this still isn't being released for steam?

That's a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.
  23. erocker

Thanks Received:
    It's all up to the artist. Found?re-purpoused are are generally items that were not art and making them art. Good remixes generally need the original artists consent if they're still alive. It is up to the artist. What would be the reasons why EA/Dice/artists don't want this to be modded?
  24. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find that hard to believe seeing as how most artists willfully steal or borrow (depending on how you look at it) ideas from other artists. It's a do what I say but not what I do sort of thing, eh?
    They probably want to have the exclusive ability to release additional (for pay) DLC. It's a flawed notion if you ask me.

Allowing modding provides longevity for an engine and additional licensing opportunities for third party games. Additionally it increases the value of a game to consumers who are being asked to part with $50+ and submit to a DRM raping.
  25. erocker

Thanks Received:
    So why doesn't EA/Dice/etc. want anyone to mod BF3? Due to the work involved with creating/releasing modding tools?