1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Easiest way to overclock your graphic card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Hayder_Master, Oct 6, 2008.

?

is this thread deserve to be sticky

1. yes

87.7%
  2. no

12.3%
  1. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    updated 11/29/2010

please rate this thread

Warring: overclocking maybe damage your graphic card

Hello guys , I made something for easy and quick overclocking , it is as the title say And im really mean it .
    (" Easiest way to overclock your graphic card ").
    this way very useful for newbies, beginners and who want try overclock without go over range and damage the card and who look for most stable overclock not for hit max overclock.

Only you need here a simple programs tools , and my advice to use ati tool or riva tuner , gpu-z , any test program like 3d mark or any game , windows calculator . !.
    but in my test now im use the "gigabyte HUD" for overclocking and cod4 game for quick result.

Im take my gigabyte 8800gt as an example
    So my stock values (gpu 700 , memory 920 , shader 1715), now I increase it on my way…..
    Let we take a constant number , this constant number user for divide original values on it , after that take the result and add it again on original number and now you got the overclocked result . did you got it , ok see this in example.
    Let we take a 30 as a constant number and take my stock 8800gt values (700,920,1715)
    [​IMG]
    so that's mean..

gpu 700/30=23 so 23 is overcock value so new overclock value for my gpu is 700+23=723
    memory 920/30=30.. 920+30=950
    shader 1715/30=57….. 1715+57=1772
    and see the test
    [​IMG]
    tip: you can increase the shader more by add 20-30 point , but only shader keep gpu and memory overclock without more increase.

now let we take other constant value (more overclock) let we say 20
    gpu 700/20=35…. 700+35=735
    memory 920/20=46…. 920+46=966
    shader 1715/20=85 ….. 1715+85=1800
    and see the test
    [​IMG]
    other constant (higher overclok) 15
    gpu 700/15=46….. 700+46=746
    memory 920/15=61…. 920+61=981
    shader 1715/15=114… 1715+114=1829
    and see the test
    [​IMG]
    my offer constant number (extreme overclock) 10
    gpu 700/10=70… 700+70=770
    memory 920/10=92… 920+92=1012
    shader 1715/10=171… 1715+171=1886
    and see the test
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now i try this theory with my new ATI 4870
    first constant number i am go try it is 25
    gpu 750/25=30 so 30 is overcock value so new overclock value for my gpu is 750+30=780
    memory 900/25=36.. 900+36=936
    and see the test
    [​IMG]
    and now go up with new constant number it is 20
    gpu 750/20=37.5…. 700+37.5=787.5
    memory 900/20=45…. 900+45=945
    [​IMG]
    more overclock using 15 as constant number
    gpu 750/15=50….. 750+50=800
    memory 900/15=60…. 900+60=960
    [​IMG]

this way also work well with multi GPU too, here is my crossfire test
    [​IMG]

Tip: try begin overcloking from high constant(lower overclock) cuz my theory depend on Compatibility and you can see how you card Compatibility it have.
    Tip: GDDR5 cards have lower memory overclocking than decent ones, so u can go higher overclocking with the GPU more than the memory so decrease memory speed in high overclock give u more range in overclock.
    Tip: if you have non reference card better know your card stock clocks and work on it, cuz some brands do high overclock on GPU or memory, so in this case can't rise them booth and going high range when working on factory overclocked clocks.
    Tip: there is some cards have high range in overclock and take lower constant lower than 10 and some card's is not depend on card manufacture.
    Tip: this constant numbers i put is not stander numbers you can take any number to get stability.
    Tip: always keep your eyes on the temps , cuz GPU's have different coolers mean different cooling performance.
    Tip: its not percents the numbers you are dividing by because if you take 700 / 30 = 23 but 700 / 30 % = 210 ..so its ratio numerical number and not percentage guys.
    Tip: with NIVIDA card things going easier now with new overclocking tools like MSI afterberner which is GPU and shader linked and rise up together when overclocking, better don't unlocked them it's give stability specially with the new cards starting with GT200 series and over but it's working well with older cards too.

thanx to everyone who is reading and try this way , and i will very grateful for anyone can put the result which constant number and overclock reach and better putting screen shot with GPU-Z

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    itsakjt, TommyT, vawrvawerawe and 37 others say thanks.
  2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    So you have to raise the clocks all with a constant percentage... ooooh that makes sense, no wonder my last attempt with ati tool caused the system to crash... note to self: first inform, then perform...

Pehla and vawrvawerawe say thanks.
  3. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    sure my friend if you see in my test im run cod4 , and it is run cool , for ati sure this way work , but don't try high overclock first ,step by step , and think it is work better with ati cuz there is no shader clock

4. kyle2020 Guest

subscribed for future reference ;)

5. boogah New Member

Thanks Received:
    interesting

6. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's interesting but I'm a bit skeptical. I'll attempt to try this with my own 8800GT. Currently the highest I can go is 712 on the core.

7. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    what is you 8800gt brand name
    did you set pci-e speed from bios on 100
    which program use to overclock
    which driver you use

8. King Wookie

King Wookie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting approach.

Subscribed.

9. Dia01

Dia01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will try also, I just fumble around with GPU settings.

10. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    anyone try it, give me the result , or any problem

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  11. kyle2020 Guest

I attempted the "Extreme" overclock, core up to 770 along with the others, black screened around 30 seconds into 3dmark.

12. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:

did try extreme first , no im say step by step,cuz not all card's are same my card is an overclock version so it is can support high OC, and in same time don't mean my card is extreme card cuz my card can't go over 770 and i see guys go up 800 with other card's, and other card's can't go over 700,there is too much differents in brand's , try the lower one on go up to next step until you see problems , you can try any constant number to divide like 14,13,... but as i told you try 30 first and go up

13. kyle2020 Guest

ill start lower and progress - i once got a stable 3dmark run on 810 core, but since i havent been able to get near 800, must be a combination of clock speeds :ohwell:

14. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    no no it's not, one time i do some unbelievable overclock, which is set my gpu on 740 and shader on 2000, yeh 2000, and it is work well , so im go to default, after that i want try it again with same overclock and i got nothing even freezing i get, so i think it is some temporary error in bios card,or the sure thing is 3d mark is not perfect test, sometimes i do cool overclock but it give low score than original values but i see more performance in games, so try the other program or use a game, try crysis benchmark is really good, and don't forget in crysis bench card run 100% so keep your eye on card temp

15. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    im test it on 8600gt and it work well so im gona put the test's picture soon , i wan someone test it on ati card and i will be thankful , don't forget try lower first

16. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    anyone try overclocking this way? When i get my rig up again i will try it myself with my 8800GT that already clocks decently but if i can get higher before i voltmod it i would like to.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:

try with lower one some people test it sure me first, with lower one never harms your card,and you can see how it is stable with test and sure you see , don't go far from first time and you can try vol-mod later , im always overclock my card so first im go about same overclock with high vol-mod, but now when i discover this way i can overclock my card with same value and without vol-mod cuz my theory depend on Compatibility

p_o_s_pc says thanks.
  18. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    so... i'm really feeling stupid hear, maybe this is easier then i think it is but how is this better then say the way i do it.

overclock gpu-find max
    overclock shader find max
    overclock mem- find max

and then put them at the highest of each and try it out???

19. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    you can't do this , cuz there is something called capability, as example in nvidia card's you can go higher in gpu only or shader only cuz they depend on each other and maybe damage your card too , and you don't need max overclock in anytime you know max overclock mean high temp but what about just high overclock can help you to make games run better without anything worry about it

p_o_s_pc says thanks.
  20. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Although I dont use this exact method, it is a principle that i use from time to time on my GPU overclocks basically and it does make sense, sometimes however, dependant on your card, it can make little difference, some are just dogs! i have had some better results with it from the odd card against the more "standard" methods.

I actually try loads of different methods, sadly sometimes I spend hours linking and unlinking, whatever anyones says, it's the core that is most important on an NVidia card so always check your max linked first, then when you know that, unlink and drop the shaders down 25mhz, then increase the core 10mhz etc.

21. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Looking at the top photos, did you just reinstall windows XP or something?
    Everything is kinda empty on your page.

Anyways, using Windows98SE, and a BFG 6200 card, i use coolbits, my card stays cool at 45c, so i don't think my card will damage. My BFG 6200 is the OC version, so i only overclock the core up a bit, little bit increase in performance.

22. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    im use windows xp , and about your card if it is already overclock version you can overclock it but try lower overclock (high constant ) , and keep you eye on temp try keep it under 60c , 55c will be fine , and if you see my card is also an overclock version too

23. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:

no if you see there is some folders there if you open anyone of them you see more than 15 icon , i just do this for easy search

24. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use the same method, but instead of constants I multiply the clock by 1.xx where xx is the percentage of the OC (i.e 1.05, 5% OC), for me it's much easier as requires only one calculation instead of 2 and the end result is the same. Anyway I always kept the relation for all clocks first , until the highest stable OC (IMO it makes sense because the card is usually well balanced and this way you mantain the balance) and then try finding if upping some gives better results (sometimes it requires lowering others a bit). That seems to be what people find new about your method and I always thought everybody did this at first. TBH it shocked me that apparently many don't knew about it.

Anyway any card that I've overclocked (mine and friend's) lately overclocks much better on the core (and shaders in the case of Nvidia) than it does the memory and the performance benefits are greater too. So the method of OCing the core to it's max stable clocks, then overclock the memory is just as good, I suppose. :confused:

This guide is in any case very helpful for both newbies to OC and "pros" so keep it going. ;)

25. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    thanx darkmatter for reply , as you say i made this for newbies and who want try overclock without go over range and damage the card , we know there is some skills and some experiences and we know the higher overclocker kill some parts trying for high overclock , so we can say also with this way you can overclock you card without need big knowledge in overclocking and keep your card in safe state