1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Eastern Europe Monitor Option

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jpierce55, Jul 26, 2008.

1. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    I will soon return to the Ukraine. I have a friend over there that does not have a computer and can't afford one. I have one of these, it is small and could fit in my luggage:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HyperThreading-...goryZ179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can put a copy of Vista 32 Ultimate on there (all I have). I know it would be sluggish but at least she would have a computer. I have the plug adapter she would need.

The only issue is a monitor. For any of you Eastern Europeans: I was thinking of getting a cheap g-card (if I can find one that fits) with tv output for this thing. Is it likely her tv would have the proper connectors? If any of you are from Kiev how much is a monitor? I don't know if customs will be a problem.

Might be a lost cause but I thought I would check here with you guys.

2. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Make sure it has the option for your voltage on the power supply or an adapter to connect to a Ukranian power outlet.
    2. That would hardly run Vista at all, I'd recommend piratebay.org for something called TinyXP.
    3. That's a good computer, but depending on the TV you'd likely need an adapter.

jpierce55 says thanks.
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope you arent trying to fly it out of the US in luggage!

4. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    as long as he takes out the batt he should be ok I think, even than if he has to get pulled aside its no biggy. I got pulled aside with used weed pipe before and had no problems lol that was like 7years ago.

looks like you'll def need an adaptor for the tv, I have an s-video to video rca (yellow) adaptor if you need it I could send it to you.

jpierce55 says thanks.
  5. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I wasnt thinking of power issues or the like, I have seen at other forums the horror storries that have arisen due to US customs.

I actually saw pics of what was left of a PC after they got to it on DFI forums...wasnt pretty.

jpierce55 and Chewy say thanks.
  6. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Scary, guess I wont ever be bring my rig to Brazil nexted time I go down.. its worth alot more down there, I was concidering to sell it down there.

7. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    If its disassembled it should fair better, the issue I saw was customs tore his rig down then litterally threw the parts in the case and told him here ya go!

jpierce55 says thanks.
  8. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    The case opens by pushing two buttons and flipping the top, everything is right out in the open so the dismantle/check should be ok. Thanks for the thoughts on the battery. I have one of the S cable, but thanks anyway.

Bigg3stnoob, I realize that about the Vista, but it is all I have. I figured I would disable as much as possible. She has no computer and would only be surfing the web and emailing.. She won't know the difference if it runs at all.

9. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    You can't use a normal TV as monitor, everything will be unreadable.

10. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    Because of it g-card, or something else?

11. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    I think it is because of the resolution.

12. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    TV's are low res screens, though even at 640x480 the image is far from great. However, for videos and the likes the image is great. The blur actually improves quality there.

tkpenalty and jpierce55 say thanks.
  13. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    Alright, looks like a lost cause then.

14. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are computers in Ukraine THAT expensive? I figure they would have them in Kiev at least, as I have a close friend from there who tells me that Kievans have what we do essentially.

Anyways, look for a cheaper laptop, used, of course. You can find good deals on eBay.

15. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    My understanding the computers are expensive in Kiev, a good deal of other things seem cheaper compared to here (cell phones for example), and so they do have most of what we do... I know their family does not have a big income.

Thanks again to all of you.

16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received: