1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Easy way to improve range?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by johnspack, Apr 23, 2014.

1. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I've been supplying wireless internet to a friend in the same building as me. He usually gets 2-3 bars, 2 mostly, but has no problem with the internet. Recently they started renovating the building, and now metal objects and/or electric panels have increased interference to the point he can barely load a web page and is at like 1 bar mostly. My cheapest route would be to replace the dinky 3dbi antennas of my asus rt-n16 with 8 dbi ones. 9dbi vs 24dbi seems like it would give me the extra punch needed? Or will this take a more costly route?

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yea those may help, Also putting an outside repeater would work if you want to spend the money.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    That's what I'm afraid of, having to spend 80+ on shipping and taxes vs 36 for the antennas. So should I just get the repeater instead?
    In other words, would I need both? Also, running tomato on the router, can increase output...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Repeaters, powerline, and such, would be the way to go for increased coverage; however, cost is a factor.
    An antenna change is dependent on your routers location and the friends location.
    An Omni directional antenna might give you a slight gain at the friend's location; but, I doubt it will solve the problem to your satisfaction.
    Also, in your selection of antennae... make sure the antennae are tuned for your desired frequencies.
    Location is a big factor in planning this... what to put where.

If you have an android phone/tablet or windows laptop/tablet (something portable in either case); get some signal/mapping software and test using some homebrew directional antennae.

Try something like:
    NetSpot - they have a limited free version
    HeatMapper
    Or, test and find one that you prefer.

What is the best WiFi antenna for me?
    Fix Your Wi-Fi: Free Tweaks and Major Overhauls

And, google homebrew homemade wifi antenna... you find a whole bunch. Look for directional ones(with directional antennae you can have a narrow or wide beam of you choosing).

Most firmware, in most routers, let you adjust the output to 100%.
    Other versions of the firmware may allow you to get a little more; if so, you may want to apply additional cooling on the finals (output transistors).

Make sure you on the clearest channels you can use.

5. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    For windows based systems I recommend Amped Wifi Analytics for both android and PC.

I also recommend that brand's wifi stuff. Very awesome coverage. I have two of their routers and they both are really awesome.
    Review here: http://remixedcat.blogspot.com/2013/09/amped-wireless-rta15-and-aca1-review.html

if worst comes to worst and you're too broke then get some justin beiber duct tape and pringles cans.

95Viper says thanks.
  6. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Actually, the Amped Wifi Analytics for android is just as good. It's one of the apps I used on my Galaxy tablet to diagnose his connection issues.

remixedcat says thanks.
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Cool! I like it as well.

8. Wikoontz

Wikoontz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you think he might be able to find an old wireless router that someone has in their attic storage that you could use as a repeater? I know my husband hates throwing things away so we have like two upstairs in our attic that I wouldn't use as a primary router but could be passable as just repeaters.

9. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    He watches a lot of video on youtube ect, I would really like to extend n band.....

10. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Well, nice perk to all this, found out my router could handle a 532mhz clock speed. The way I have it mounted, plenty of air, it's running cool. Internet is very fast!
    Running EasyTomato 0.78..... haven't even upgraded to 0.80 yet!

11. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Got bored while waiting for antennas to come... decided on some ocing action on my router....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Wikoontz

Wikoontz New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's awesome, has your friend noticed any positive gain or just you?

13. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    It did increase my signal strength yes, but I notice more when using torrents ect, I have higher bandwidth. I want the new quad core gen routers now.....