1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ECS A990FXM-A V1.1

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by m0nt3, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    "I'll pop it open tomorrow and reset the CMOS jumper - see if it makes a difference."

No go. Is there any setting to lock in the stock voltage (so upping the multliplier doesn't push it up as well)? Maybe that's why its stuck at x20 tops.

2. m0nt3

Thanks Received:
    Can you set the voltage manually, or does it still change? If your voltage is changing automatically when set manually, then tell that to tech support.

3. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    For me the voltage was set constant @ 1.46 or something, I have to connect that machine to check out. I will try to do this weekend.

4. m0nt3

Thanks Received:
    that would certainly be an issue worth reporting. If the same happens to both of you, then surely it can be reproduced in their lab.

5. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    It only allows for a + .05v to .500v offset. I don't see any way to lock the stock voltage in (1.2875v). When I increase the multiplier to x20 it goes up to 1.388, so I'm sure at anything greater it jumps more (and that may be why it won't let me boot at x20.5 on up). I'll go back to my ticket to try to rattle his cage about that issue. All he did was say the Phenom II he tested worked and to tell me I didn't put the correct number down as the serial number.

6. m0nt3

Thanks Received:
    I would take a picture of the serial number and submit it then. I would probably be demanding an updated BIOS but thats just me, which reminds me I need to contact ASUS support about my R9 290.

7. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    using a ECS board is like asking for dead hardware its 80.00 bucks for a reason people know they are crap and won't buy them
    I bought one had to RMA it 3 times first was DOA the the second had some odd issue where it would not post on warm boot number 3 was also doa at that point I just got a refund

8. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I just pulled out and connected my test machine. CPU voltage stays at a constant 1.46v irrespective of default multiplier or increased multiplier. Max available multi is 34. I increased from 200 x 19 to 200 x 23. No voltage change unless I increase volt manually.

Not sure if the behavior is specific to your board alone.

Jeffredo says thanks.
  9. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Well, I was assuming the voltage was increasing with the multiplier (it usually does unless you lock it in - at least on my ASUS motherboards). Since it would boot I couldn't really see if it did or not.

10. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I just put in the 8320 in the ECS mobo, guess what you are right. The moment I increase the multiplier it automatically bumps the volt by .5v. For some reason the CPU default volt was at 1.4v instead of 1.35v. And it didn't boot over 20x multi. But HTT clocking works fine. I was able to clock the cpu to 4 Ghz but not stable. Max without voltage change was 3.8 with Turbo off.

At 3.5 Ghz I ran few IBT cycles (2 x 10 runs), VRM seems to run cool, max I measured was around 65C and CPU was around 53C with Xigmatek S1283. Not bad for a cheap board.

Jeffredo says thanks.
  11. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Did you get your Asus board?

12. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I did, but haven't had the time to piece it together. Been working on PCs for a couple family members. Hopefully next week I'll have time.

13. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    make sure you test the mobo before your return time, just incase.

14. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Just to update I got a new setup, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ver 4.0 with FX 8350. I am at 4.2 with stock volts 1.325 and with vdroop it goes to 1.28 under load. This mobo bios is also bit whacky! This one doesn't like HTT clocking and memory clocking either. Change the multi one step and I think I will leave this thing alone. If I change the default voltage, in windows when CnQ kicks in and CPU lowers the clock when idle, the idle voltage doesn't step down, its stays at the same. But there is one setting (forgot what it is), which you can use to compensate, if I set it to a negative value (which lowers the volts from default), then idle volts works fine.

I just don't understand, is writing Bios for a FX chip that hard?

One thing I like about this new board is it feels much zippier than my old Giga 970 and the ECS 970. The Realtek audio chip is amazing especially when hearing music or watching movies on my Bose speakers.

BTW did you get a chance to play with your Asus board?

15. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Yep, got it installed yesterday (at last!). Its sitting at 4.5 Ghz right now with 1.3875v with LLC on 50%. Pretty decent result with air cooling. Probably could go higher with water, but this is fine. Just changed the multiplier to 22.5 (something the ECS couldn't/wouldn't do). Pretty nice UEFI BIOS - much easier to use than the ECS (and responds much faster to the mouse).

Think I'm going to stick with ASUS boards from now on. They just seem to be well made, perform well and have manuals and BIOS's written in clear English.

16. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Budget build, no fiddling, ECS will be fine, one of my servers running a ECS black board still going strong after 6 yrs. So I guess we can't push that 'mule' beyond what it can do lol.