1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ECS GANK MACHINE Z87H3-A2X EXTREME(Intel LGA 1150)

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by cadaveca, Sep 3, 2013.

1. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    ah ok. just for my own knowledge, what is the purpose of that one? Yes I read the sticker on top

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    runs the fans, provides voltage monitoring, etc.

night.fox says thanks.
  3. jihadjoe

jihadjoe

Thanks Received:
    I would have thought they'd reserve "GANK" for a dual-CPU C606 based motherboard of some kind.

4. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I know ECS, I know they do a lot of boards for OEMs like foxconn does. I still remember their first attempt at making an enthusiast board called the 'KN1' back in the skt.939 days. They make a few enthusiast boards but I dont think they've really grown/progressed that much in the enthusiast market that goes beyond their skt.939 efforts, Though this A2X here is an excellent effort. I just dont think ECS are as gung ho about the enthusiast segment as the bigger more popular contenders.

You can kinda compare them to Biostar a little. Pre skt.939 days Biostar werent really known at all outside Asia - but you occasionally picked up one of their boards in an OEM machine, Nobody really cared for them back then but over the years they have really stepped up their game and pretty much stormed the front when it comes to tackling enthusiast boards. Some of their Tpower boards got great reviews and I had one of the P-45 chipset boards and it was very good apart from running into a FSB wall. I went beyond that wall and the board refused to post again. Didnt have much choice but to RMA it and sold the board to Kovet who wanted it to build a PC for his kid back in the day and bought myself a Asus P5Q Pro which handled my Q9550 superbly.

5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    gank and leet is only slightly better (or worse) branding than republic of gamers branding but still come on, grow up people. We aren't all 13 year old kids with credit cards blowing $2000 each year. I like my UD3H, sounds like a good model name. I think if it was the 1337Hax0r 9000 GankPro I'd have not bought it.

Had a biostar (nforce?) sli 939 that worked my overclocked Opty 144 at ~2.8ghz for many many years. Great company from that experience tbqh.

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Maybe so but Biostar didnt really come into prominence until their TPower boards rolled into production with the advent of Intel C2Ds & C2Qs. Looking at their catalogue of products and I see they had a quite a few skt 939 enthusiast boards But I for one remember not seeing ANY of them on the shelf - even in the city where then have one street thats made up of computer shops as far as the eye can see. I dont think Biostar were even stocked back then either as Biostar had limited distribution in Europe.

They were overshadowed by the likes of DFI. Asus, Gigabyte (& MSI to a lesser extent) DFI in particular was a massive hugely popular household name in the age where overclocking was seen as some sort of dark taboo back in the day.

DFI are still around but just a shadow of its former self.

7. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the biostar was from newegg, the cheapest 939 nforce sli board at about $80 or so in 2004-5, overclocked like such a beast.

8. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    The domination board looks pretty good too