1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ECS X48T-A Black Series Motherboard Available in Limited Quantity

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, May 19, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heading to the high-end motherboard offerings more and more, Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) has launched its latest killer motherboard. The ECS X48T-A Black Series motherboard is based on Intel's X48 Express chipset, and as such it offers full support for Intel 45nm processors, Intel XMP technology, and ATI's CrossFire technology (two PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots). The big cooling you see on the picture is ECS' Qooltech Generation 2, a fan-less design with single heatpipe and enough copper to cool efficiently hot parts such as the Intel X48 north bridge, the Intel ICH9R south bridge and the CPU PWM area. The X48T-A motherboard is available now in limited quantity, so you better hurry up. More info is available here.

[​IMG]

Source: ECS
  2. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Overall layout looks good, very clean looking but from what ive been reading ECS dont have a good reliability track record, ive no experience with ECS products my self. The p8 connector is placed in similar location to MSI's offerings.

Gam
  3. echo75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    with that huge heatsink in the middle of the board , not many heatsinks can fit there.
  4. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I find nothing wrong with the NB heatsink size looking at how big certain other manufacturers' coolers are but a little close to the socket square. Nice neat layout. It all boils down to brand reliablilty.
  5. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well ECS doesnt have a problem there, any ECS user can tell you that, ECS boards tend to be very stable and realible, im using one right now, and its nearing 2yrs old
  6. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    ECS is hit or miss. I see many dead ones at my service shop though. More so than the other mobo makers out there.
  7. sno.lcn

sno.lcn

Thanks Received:
    It's good to see more enexpected manufacturers getting into the highend market. It'll be interesting to see what this board can do :cool:
  8. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    I rather like it. I would not rule out ECS as a future board. I have my mom running an ECS on an old AMD thunderbird for the past 5 years , no problems except for having to replace the cmos battery a few times. Its clean and nicely laid out. Very "usable". The only thing I don't like, and its common with alot of manufacturers these days, is the funny IDE placement. I wish they would still line the IDE and Floppy connectors close to the sides, where they are usable, I hate having a long IDE cable stretching across everything. Yes, I still use IDE burners ;)
  9. allen337

allen337

Thanks Received:
    Look around the cpu socket It only has 1 Ferrite Core Choke, most companies who want their motherboard to last has 8-12 of them around the socket. Only see 3 solid caps by the socket also another sign its cheap made. ALLEN

(edit) might be somemore solid caps behind that heatsink.
  10. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    Thats what im thinking, because the last heat sink is covering the PWM for the cpu. We can only speculate as to what ECS is up to.
  11. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    something gives me a cheap feeling about this board...
  12. Assimilator

Assimilator

Thanks Received:
    Here's a better image. As you can see, 6 chokes and 9 solid caps around the CPU socket, which is a bit low considering ASUS boards have 8/11 respectively. But ECS don't seem to say that this board is designed for overclocking, so I reckon if you leave it at the default specs (or don't push it too hard) it'll be fine.

Not a bad looking mobo, I don't like the black PCI slots but that's just personal preference. And is that a COM port next to the PS/2 ports? WTF?
    allen337 says thanks.
  13. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cause ECS gives off that image. I hope that changes tho! We need more good mobo manufacturers. The more the better I say.
  14. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ECS has done great OC'rs before

K7VTA3 was a great OC'r so was K7VTA6 so i don't rule them out at all. My Nforce3-A Was a good 754 Oc'r got higher than my Chaintech Nforce3 250 or my MSI K8N Neo FSR ever did with my A64 3200, the MSI and Chaintech topped out at 2.5 the ECS topped it out at 2.7
  15. iamajunky

iamajunky New Member

Thanks Received:
    Always with these board makers

Great looking board except for the SATA ports are right in the line of fire of the video card setup
  16. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    The fact that their NB cooling is called Qooltech is reason enough for me not to get it :laugh:
  17. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Low? 6 Phase and 8 phase- there isnt much difference. I'd be more concerned of the 5~4 phases MSI puts on their high end boards.

At least they are trying to be innovative, instead of calling it iCool, etc.

Has it been pointed out, that ECS is one of the mobo mfgrs who provide full res pics of their products? I honestly think other mfgrs should do that too!

This board deserves a review.
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  18. Rebo&Zooty

Rebo&Zooty New Member

Thanks Received:
    true, BUT the hit and miss part is true with ALL brands, main thing when buying ecs, KNOW WHAT YOU ARE AFTER, avoid via chipsets for example.

as to morethen any other maker, i have seen STACKS of gigabyte and asus boards that where flawed as well as foxconn boards and others, and when i say stacks, i have worked at shops where we wold have a 4foot talk stack of bad boards waiting to be shiped back for rma....funny part, there was NEVER a large stack of ECS boards, mostly because i knew what boards to avoid when telling the owners what to order.
  19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't touch this board with a 39 and a half Foot pole.
  20. Rebo&Zooty

Rebo&Zooty New Member

Thanks Received:
    just because you bought a bad cf board :p
  21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yep. Gave me a taste of what their BIOS coders are capable of, or more like NOT capable of.
  22. allen337

allen337

Thanks Received:

only problem I have with this is the x48 is supposed to be a better overclocker than the x38 so why would you build one for stock speeds? I would consider buying something like this IF ECS would consider its past (junk motherboards) and adjust the price. Ill never buy ECS at full price unless a miracle happens. For those of us who buy 6-10 motherboards yearly for personal builds, and 20-30 yearly for friend/customer builds ecs will never get our feet back in their door with full priced motherboards until they prove theirselves. If it was an asus,gigabyte,dfi,msi,intel,or abit x48 that cost $75-$100 more than the ecs I would just eat the $ and go with what I know. ALLEN
  23. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    meh ECS boards are ok i got a celeron D 351 sitting on a P4M800-pro thats been running @ 3.8ghz for about a year no probs so far
  24. Rebo&Zooty

Rebo&Zooty New Member

Thanks Received:
    of your list, msi and asus have shitty bios and driver support, gigabyte....well its hit and miss, DFI makes boards that man times are picky about ram/psu/case colour, abit....their support is still worse then it was back in their hay day. intel, well their boards arent clockers, intel dosnt want you clocking their stuff, i know they have had a few clockers, but if ur a clocker u dont look at intel branded boards anymore then you look at ecs :p

and you should try biostars tseirse/tpower boards ;)
  25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    All of those companies have infinitely better BIOS and driver support than ECS.