1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Eight Ways Consoles Are Helping PC Gaming

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Melvis, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Found this if anyone is interested in it?

Eight Ways Consoles Are Helping PC Gaming

A few weeks ago, we took a not-so-fond look at the console portion of the grotesque, unruly mass (in some circles known as a “family”) that is the gaming world. As we often do with those with whom we share any sort of relation, we proceeded to list off all the ways they’ve wronged us. We find it to be a good ice-breaker. Now, though, we’ve been struck with some strange and debiltating malady that top scientists are calling “civility,” and we’ve realized there’s plenty of good mixed in with the bad. No, seriously. Consoles, we may not always get along, but we’d be remiss if we didn’t give you due praise for having our backs every once in a while. Now go! Jump past the break before we change our minds.

Read the rest here> http://www.technobuffalo.com/gaming/eight-ways-consoles-are-helping-pc-gaming/
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Article written by a guy who's too young to really understand, but the article (very short article) has a couple good points I suppose. Most points that are made are not very good at all.

I'll take this section of the article:

Current consoles were outdated the day they were released.

This contradicts the entire premise of his article.

Consoles and the games made for consoles are bad for the PC. Why? Money. Developers realize that there is simply more money to be made on a console. It's not about the game, the technology, the quality or any of that.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
    digibucc says thanks.
  3. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Agreed and Crysis 2 is a great example for that since DX11 and High-Res textures for the game were released AFTER a couple months the game went on sale.. that said it all.
  4. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    His writing style makes my head hurt... its like reading a 16 year olds idea of what a gaming article should be
  5. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I think he was trying to be funny in the article but yea . . . . . read it and its not really worth reading consoles do help PC gaming in a few ways but in those 8 ways he really listed, no . . . . .

When consoles are just launched they help PC gaming yes but years after launch and the market is saturated with ports, and upgrading for gaming(In terms of those ports) becomes pretty pointless . . . . . . no.
  6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The only things PCs gained from consoles were CDs, DVDs, and BD but, then again, those standards existed before their respective Sony counterparts were released so, PC really hasn't gained anything from the console market. Consoles have gained a lot from the PC industry though. Namely, Direct3D constantly pushing graphics hardware forward and Intel/AMD constantly pushing computing performance forward by way of developing smaller, and smaller fabs IBM has to compete with in order to stay competitive in the server markets.

Can't forget the entire notion of 3D. That was pioneered on computers and has become more or less the norm today in games across all platforms.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. enaher

enaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    what a load of BS:shadedshu, benefit to pc gaming :nutkick: my @$$, we have so little this year to game thanks to consoles.
    Captain.Abrecan says thanks.
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Eh? I have no spare time because so many games have come out recently (Fable III, Red Faction: Armageddon, DarkSpore, Terraria, Brink, Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Duke Nukem Forever, and there's more coming like Tropico 4 (and a lot more towards the end of the year that I'm too tired to remember).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. enaher

enaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even Dragon Age II sucked:shadedshu
  10. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    you should try dungeon siege III for pc and you will see suck

at least skyrim is coming, i mean they can't make that a port right.:(
  11. koorosh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Consoles are helping game industry, not PC gaming
  12. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    That about console gaining a lot from PC gaming is quite true, especially when traditional PC games developers such as Peter Molyneux and others (i.e. that's a lot people from the PC gaming market) are now exclusively making consoles games instead making those classic PC games we all love. Remember Call of Duty was a PC game. Even Ensemble Studios, known for the the Age of Empires PC games series are disbanded, because Microsoft wanted to go further with its console gaming on the Xbox 360 and Kinect. And even hardware-wise, newer consoles have PC hardware in it, the Xbox 360 has an AMD (ATI) gpu (the first Xbox was equipped with Nforce+Soundstorm+Geforce 3, NV2a), while the PS3 has a RSX GPU, which is virtually a Geforce 7800 with less ROPs.

I have played the demo, and the sub menus and inventory are quite distracting and utterly useless that's annoying to play further in the game. In the end I just uninstalled the demo and never thought about it if there's never been a Dungeon Siege 3.:D
  13. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Um, what planet are you on? Consoles are HAMPERING the gaming industry because of their antiquated hardware.
  14. koorosh New Member

Thanks Received:
    I meant business by industry not technology. business=money:p
    Sorry I wasn't clear:eek:
  15. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    How did this article say that consoles are helping PC gaming? I do not believe there was any referrence made, that couldn't have been changed from "PC gaming" to "the gaming industry."

Looking at this from an unbiased perspective, why do I care? This article seems to state that the console gaming market is a testing ground for more friendly user interfaces, but little more. The gaming market has been moving this way since the days of Myth, and the only really spectacular point is that this provides a greater impetus to simplify the control scheme.

Looking from my vantage of PC gamer rage, WTF? The article is a bland piece of crap, that attempts to assuage the hurt that the industry lumps onto PC gaming, while softly fondling the naughty bits of console gamers. It backhands PC gamers by tacitly suggesting that we wouldn't be able to function with a simple menu system, and that strategy games are somehow only a viable option because of the advances console gaming has forced.

I send out my concentrated beams of hate to this author.

Beyond that, who comissioned this article. The title and language seems hugely biased, which usually means someone has a point to prove. Perhaps if this came from somewhere reputable (who the heck is technobuffalo?) I would be more inclined to listen. As it stands, I see very little to concern myself with here.
  16. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The article is reposted on Technobuffalo. It's from MaximumPC.

If you read closely, the author is saying that consoles are helping the PC because of all the inherent issues with them (ie. they suck). This is definitely a pro-PC article.