1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EIZO Releases the FORIS FG2421 240 Hz Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It's still a 120Hz VA monitor.

Solidstate89 and RCoon say thanks.
  2. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer

Thanks Received:
    Fabry Perot cavity,AlGaAs-GaAs Heterojunction
    I'd rather play at 4K, 60Hz.

3. Solidstate89

Solidstate89

Thanks Received:
    I'd rather play at 2560x1440 at 120Hz, using an IPS/PLS display. But I don't see that happening anytime soon from official manufacturers. And no, don't quote me about those overclocked Korean monitors.

4. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    This is going to be an overpriced piece of garbage. Now before everyone gets all up in arms let me explain:

1) It's not 240hz, they are doing the same thing companies did with TVs where they either insert extra frames using interpolation or a black screen between each frame. If it is the former it causes awful, unnatural looking images and reduces accuracy because no algorithm can accurately predict exactly how things are moving. If it is the latter it isn't much different than lightboost with any other 120-144hz monitor.

2) While it's cool that it's a VA panel it still has 1.5 frames of input lag at 120hz (12ms~) which is pretty high for a modern gaming monitor. The good offerings from BenQ and Asus have under 1ms of input lag (if I recall correctly the Asus is 0.6ms). Keep in mind this isn't response time, but input (processing) lag. It doesn't get the color or higher resolution of an IPS or PLS panel, mainly a viewing angle improvement which for single monitor 24" is a non-issue anyway.

3) The price is going to be outrageous given the premium they already charge for their monitors. This company is known for good products but I wouldn't even consider paying for a fake 240hz monitor at 1920x1080. Speaking of which, it is still only 1080p, the next big advancement with refresh rate will be in higher resolutions. They could have at least made it 1920x1200 for the extra productivity.

When I first heard about this I was intrigued, now that I see what it is I am utterly disappointed. I hope people don't buy this so companies get the message loud and clear that we want a 1440p 120hz monitor (preferably in both matte and semi-glossy).

5. jihadjoe

jihadjoe

Thanks Received:
    Not if they play at 960x540

6. Svarog

Svarog

Thanks Received:
    This might be what i need to replace my EIZO EV2436W and get rid of the annoying IPS Glow.

I came from EIZO S2231W which is S-PVA/CCFL and ever since i got this EV2436W i been annoyed to f**k by IPS Glow.

7. HopelesslyFaithful New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahhh and yet i bet it still ghosts like an ass so there is no point to it. Bring me the OLED/plasma screens please so i can get as slow as possible to not having horrible ghosting...better yet give me a screen with that tech and include flicker and make my damn day

8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Some IPS monitors are worse than others. Mine exhibits only the tiniest bit on the bottom left corner, and I can only see it in a fairly dark room with a pure black image. My VA monitors were noticeably better at blacks though, but at the expense of response time.

It seems all LCD types come with some sort of tradeoffs.

Can't wait until OLED gets more common and cheaper.

9. tehehe

tehehe

Thanks Received:
    It's the latter (like lightboost but for 2d) but it is VA not TN! IMHO this alone is pretty nice. Still it's VA so it probably has horrible colour shift.

Where did you get input lag measurement? There is no review yet anywhere AFAIK.
    Fake or not it is first non-tn 120Hz monitor. That counts for something. If you can't afford it don't buy it.
    Agreed completely but I want it to be not only 1440p@120Hz but G-Sync as well. It has to be ips/pls though and you bet 1440p@120Hz will be expensive as hell.

10. Svarog

Svarog

Thanks Received:
    Well i can live with the lower response time. I'm used to mouse lag aswell.

What i want a pure black image in a dark room, just like my old EIZO S2231W (S-PVA/CCFL) had.

The IPS Glow in the bottom right corner is pretty bad on my EV2436W, and it keeps bothering me in games like Skyrim with tweaked Dark Night/Interior settings.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    Well that doesnt mean all newer better IPS monitors have it so bad.. Im sure a lot would agree on this one.

My Eizo fs2333 has minimal, but its not visible by games (Doom3 for example) or movies, nvm normal windows usage.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  12. tehehe

tehehe

Thanks Received:
    IPS glow can be solved by incorporating A-TW polarizer into display. My old nec 2690wuxi has it and I have never knew what IPS glow is until recently. Problem is - it costs extra and nobody seems to want to do it.

13. wickedcricket

Thanks Received:
    thank you for deleting my comment where I kindly found and pasted a review for this and UK pricing....

14. xorbe

Thanks Received:
    I read that post and review. I am surprised TPU deletes posts.

15. wickedcricket

Thanks Received:
  16. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    LOL the blur at that resolution plus extreme aliasing. No way Jose!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

17. xorbe

Thanks Received:
    i first read that as Flat Panel Shed haha

18. Topsu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Except CSGO players reduce graphics settings becouse it makes everything more clear and they use low or 4:3 resolution becouse they are used to that from early cs1.6 days and/or they can see the minimap while they look at the middle of screen