• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Vardar F2 vs Gentle Typhoon AP-14 vs Swiftech Helix 120 - 3 Video inside

First, there is what it take on my Lamptron FC5 to start these fans.

Next, single fan testing.

And then, 3 fan testing.

The camera is a Zoom Q4 with the mic at HIGH sensitivity.

Overall, i'm still impressed by the kind of cheap Helix from swiftech, they produce a nice wind sound at high speed without any ticking. I still really love my good/old GT's, great fans but hard to find more of these today. The 1450rpm Vardar did'nt impressed me at all. They produce alot of sound and require much more ( inconsistant ) force to get them started as opposed to the similar looking GT's.

Processor i9 11900k
Motherboard Maximus XII Apex
Cooling Custom Liquid W/ 360x60 Radiator
Memory 32Gb Team XTREEM ARGB 3600 b-die
Video Card(s) Waterblocked MSI RTX 4070
Storage Intel 900p 480Gb + 4tb Intel 670p
Display(s) LG C2 evo 42"
Case Geometric Future Model 8
Audio Device(s) HD58X + Sennheiser GSX 1000
Power Supply Corsair RM 750x
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 wired
Keyboard Akko Mod 007b HE
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+
Software Windows 11
Thanks for the video i think i know were im going to put my money at for new fans this time around. Just out of curiosity could you cut out a circular piece of masking/packing tape and put them over the vents on the front hub of the vardar's? it seems like those openings would be a big cause for buzzing and additional air turbulence which might be causing that unsightly noise. would love to see another video demonstrating that minor modification

Last edited:
I really dont thik these holes cause any noise. What we can hear is a motor noise, not a wind/turbulance noise.

I still have to test these on PWM since the vardar are PWM fans. My lamptron work internally as a PWM controller but it's still a "voltage" controller in the end. The Vardar may do better on PWM.

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
Great post and info. I'm partial to the GT's since they've been very good for me, but the comparison videos are very nice.
:toast:

Processor i9 11900k
Motherboard Maximus XII Apex
Cooling Custom Liquid W/ 360x60 Radiator
Memory 32Gb Team XTREEM ARGB 3600 b-die
Video Card(s) Waterblocked MSI RTX 4070
Storage Intel 900p 480Gb + 4tb Intel 670p
Display(s) LG C2 evo 42"
Case Geometric Future Model 8
Audio Device(s) HD58X + Sennheiser GSX 1000
Power Supply Corsair RM 750x
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 wired
Keyboard Akko Mod 007b HE
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+
Software Windows 11
I really dont thik these holes cause any noise. What we can hear is a motor noise, not a wind/turbulance noise.

I still have to test these on PWM since the vardar are PWM fans. My lamptron work internally as a PWM controller but it's still a "voltage" controller in the end. The Vardar may do better on PWM.

the holes will still let the sound of the motor leak out of the front of the fan, the GT's have a small shroud to cover the central hub were as it looks like the Vardar's don't do anything to mask the motor noise. its worth a shot covering them up with a piece of tape just to test the theory out. o_O

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
So @boulard83, what do you think about those Swiftech Helix fans? I'm thinking to replace 4 of my Corsair SP Quiet fans, and I had originally wanted more of the GT, yet they're so hard to come by these days. So I'm looking at those Swiftech fans. The price looks good on Amazon, but they're rated a little louder than I wanted, 28dba I think.

edit: I just rewatched your videos and the GTs sound so nice compared to the others, even the Helix. I may have to hold out for more of the GTs....

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
edit: I just rewatched your videos and the GTs sound so nice compared to the others, even the Helix. I may have to hold out for more of the GTs....

Not happening, Scythe's partnership with Nidec came to an end around 2013 some time. Nidec owns the technology used to make the fans and scythe owns the brand name 'Gentle Typhoon' so Nidec cant go off and start making their own GT's. Scythe might start selling fans under the GT brand name but it wont have the same tech that made GT's as awesome as they were.

Swiftech Helix are you best bet, Sadly for Euros, Swiftech fans and AIO coolers arent available for purchase probably due to some patent infringement lawsuit etc etc. and thats just the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not happening, Scythe's partnership with Nidec came to an end around 2013 some time. Nidec owns the technology used to make the fans and scythe owns the brand name 'Gentle Typhoon' so Nidec cant go off and start making their own GT's. Scythe might start selling fans under the GT brand name but it wont have the same tech that made GT's as awesome as they were.

Swiftech Helix are you best bet, Sadly for Euros, Swiftech fans and AIO coolers arent available for purchase probably due to some patent infringement lawsuit etc etc. and thats just the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately

Thanks for the info, makes sense to as to why the shortage and crazy prices. Cheapest I've found is Amazon at about $24 each, which is nuts imo. I paid like between 12-15 each for the ones I have currently, but I may have to just pay the premium.

Or just get the Helix fans. They're louder which I don't like but I could run a resistor to drop the noise. Currently I run a resistor on my Corsair SP120 quiet fans, which drops noise considerably but at the expense of performance. Eh, frustrating. Fans I love and they're gone :cry: