• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EKWB Recalling Predator 240 and 360 AIO Pre-Filled Liquid Cooling Systems!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
let me tell you something about rubber
rubber expands and contracts if the o-rings where not manufactured correctly then you have no way of knowing if its within spec
for example a o-ring that was manufactured to hot can show under-spec when cold but be within spec when warm or they can swell up due to humidity

Nope, not according to trog100. If you believe him, all rubber is the same, and if it isn't, they should be able to tell immediately.

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
Nope, not according to trog100. If you believe him, all rubber is the same, and if it isn't, they should be able to tell immediately.

If all rubber was the same I'd either have alot more kids or none at all:D

This is unfortunate for EK but glad to see they are standing behind the issue ready to fix/clean/replace whatever they have to do. I've been a avid EK user for years thanks to their excellent quality and even had to email them a time or two. They've always been quick to get back to me with genuine thorough answers to my questions. Yes they've had a hiccup here but I for one will keep using them based or their honesty, previous quality, and quickness to nip this issue in the buttocks.

"Actually, their supplier f'd up."

nope they f-cked up.. its up to them to make sure that what their supplier sends them is fit for use.. if they dont do this its their f-ck up.. end of story..

as someone who does manufacture and sell things i do know the way its works.. :)

if i ship out faulty products to customers its my f-ck up nobody elses..

but sh-t happens and i am sure all concerned will learn lessons from it and be better for those lessons learned in the future.. tis the way life works..

trog

ps.. two lessons can be learned from this thread.. lesson one is fanboys will always defend.. lesson two is that even the best can still f-ck up sometimes.. he he

...What?

You either manufacture knick-knacks, or dreams.

The reason things are initially tested and certified (in the automotive industry the process is called a PPAP) is because everyone supplying parts to a manufacturer must prove their parts are good. If you've got documentation which proves the parts were right at one point, then suddenly you get a batch of defective parts, it's the supplier that's changed something. It's best practice in the industry to randomly sample supplier's parts and verify them, but that's automotive. If you're a manufacturer in a much tighter industry, you don't have the money to invest in somebody randomly sampling everything that comes in the door. Quality costs money, despite the axiom that the money quality saves being greater than its cost.

So EK proves out the parts. Their samples work, so they begin manufacture. EK has their name on the product, but the people who made a mistake are the ones supplying them the parts. It's not EK's fault for accepting defective goods, this is the supplier trying to deliver a cheaper or defective part. EK loses face with the consumer, but if they can pull those gaskets out and find them defective guess who's paying? I see nothing here indicating that EK did a poor job prototyping or specifying, so you're going to have to explain how its their fault.

More importantly, attempting to place blame on EK is crap. If you actually work in manufacturing you know crap happens. Somebody has an off day, your temp. sucks at the job, or maybe a machine is failing without any outward indications. Quality exists to try and find this, but even on the best days you can't catch some errors. The best thing EK can do is recall their hardware, and make the consumer whole. That's exactly what they are doing. Tell me, what exactly do you believe they're capable of doing beyond this? Do you expect them to offer something to the consumer, and make what may already be a gigantic financial burden kill the product line?

Finally, I was taught as an engineer. If you believe all rubber is the same you're a special kind of ignorant. You've got a visco-elastic, anisotropic material that has a very low hardening point. Tell me, how do you expect to create a product with 100% consistency with those conditions? If you can somehow do that, explain to me why when I buy steel I cite an ASTM standard, which has a tolerance band on input materials. Why can't I specify specific percentages of elements, without suddenly incurring huge charge.

I'd love to work in your world. A place where personal responsibility is somehow a standard. In the real world blame flows down hill. EK might take a PR hit initially, but their reputation for doing what is best for the customer will get them sales in the future. They'll take a financial hit, but you'd better believe the manufacturer of that rubber ring is going to bear the brunt of the cost (should they want to deal with EK any more). Coming to the conclusions you have, and claiming any knowledge of manufacturing, is baffling. The only people I've ever seen with your perspective run small mom-and-pop shops, where 100% inspection is covered by higher costs. I know for a fact that billion dollar companies rely on their suppliers for parts, and whenever they've got an issue you'd better believe step 1 is making sure that their suppliers are the first people to hear about any issues in the field. Usually they hear it to the tune of a DMR, NCMR, CAR, or other acronym that has a heavy financial burden associated with it.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
when water cooling pc parts becomes a billion dollar industry some of that might matter.

as it is ek bought bad bits, and now is taking the hit for not testing the things which bear their name.

sucks to be them, but you and i both know they will have better testing procedures in place after this event.