1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elder Scrolls Online

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1Kurgan1, Nov 15, 2012.

1. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Considering that BETH aren't the ones actually making the game no one can be upset that Beth isn't working on other projects. I hope the another Fallout is on the way.

That said this doesn't look like a wow clone to me. I've played the shit out of wow, and every fucking other MMO out there that is p2p and now f2p and I just don't see this and think wow. I see it and think...another mmo....will it fail? Most likely. Will I try it? HELL YEAH! Combat like Skyrim is A-OK in my book. Plus it's another TES game AND I'll be able to adventure to all the TES lands! Awesome!

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    all the crying in this thread is awesome.

game looks beautiful

games from bethesda

bethesda makes great stories

i hope its a hit

i hope they dont let idiots on forums change their developers mind

i cant wait to get it.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Um its not being made by Bethesda. Just sayin.

4. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    zenimax owns bethesda?

since like morrowind i think.

and was created by one of the founders of bethesda

where is your god now?

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    The same people who mand the Marrowind/Skyrim games have zero input on this game. Its a new studio they brought under the bethesda umbrella. Kinda like how RAGE wasn't made by iD software. Where is YOUR GOD NOW?!

6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    For the record, I don't think anyone knows where their God is ok.

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I found mine at the bottom of a bottle of Absinthe once but, that's for another thread.

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  8. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    but zenimax media explained that they worked with bethesda game studios to creat the story line etc of the game

[​IMG]

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  10. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    The pvp system sounds alot like guild wars 2.

11. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    kind of like nvidia is working on cards 2 generations ahead of whats "new" right now? that argument doesnt make sense. Of course bethesda is working on its next gen single player game why wouldnt it be? what does your statement mean?

12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    That its not working on this MMO and never has?

13. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    TL: DR, but I can tell by the length of the post that I probably upset you. Didn't mean to offend, only to provide correlation between you and the excellently drawn picture.

I am ok with all of the companies throwing money down the drain trying to achieve the success that wow had by copy and pasting, and have even enjoyed RIFT for some time, but when I heard about ES:MMO, I was very, very excited to get Skyrim with 1000 other players.

I am not getting Skyrim with 1000 other players, thus my distaste. Hell even 64 players per area would be great.

1Kurgan1 and Wrigleyvillain say thanks.
  14. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    in the past 10 years or so I've followed a simple rule after being burned in the past. The rule is, "all games are shit until proven otherwise"

this along with price is typically why you'll see me buy a 2 year old game before a new title. Sure everyone else has already beaten it and is totally bored of it now. But the bugs are worked out, it typically comes bundled with the dlc, and long term reviews are out on it. (ie is it fun to play again and again or just once?)

so I can share the sentinment of others predicting a game that's not in the same quality of the past bethesda games. History tells me mmo's are crap 95% of the time. It also tells me that farming out a game makes it a crap game 75% of the time. so you take 25% of 5% and you're left with a 1.25% chance that this game will be good and a 98.75% chance that it will suck.

so until proven otherwise, that's what I'll go with. in 2 years if it's not that expensive of a subscription and the game has been good enough to stay on a pay to play model, I might consider it.

15. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Can't disagree with that philosophy, especially with models like steam, and their huge sales. Hell, I got Deus EX for like $15 or something. How many people paid full price not but months before?

16. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Even though I was actually waiting for Fallout online instead(but then i heard some rumors about it being cancelled/ whatever), I'm really looking forward to this game aswell.

The combat system seems to be a nice change from what we've had with most popular "big" mmo's and the world/story/lore is, if its anything like the elder scrolls singleplayer,awesome.
    Furthermore, I really like the way they're currently presenting the form of PVP they're gonna implement. Another great point seems to be the way they're planning on assigning players to their respective worlds/servers. The biggest problem I had when playing WoW(which got increasingly worse when the game was getting older) was the amount of random people you had to deal with if you wanted to group that were total asses. The solution zenimax seems to have for that seems to be a good one, if they can implement it succesfully.

All in all, from the information currently available, imho its shaping up quite nicely, and should be a good alternative to most games on the market today.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  17. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    An alternative to fecal matter is yet more fecal matter.

I guess I am being a bit harsh, but I want more activity and action in our MMOs today. Imagine an MMO with the gameplay of Zelda: OOT. I remember when MMOs first started coming out with the standard cookie-cutter gameplay that we see today, I always imagined what an MMO would be like with gameplay similar to ocarina of time, on a massive scale.

I guess this is all derived from a game that I used to play called Graal Online, which copied the super nintendo Zelda, and put it in a massive universe, and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

18. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion, you're definatively being quite harsh:) Ofc you have all right to be, but imho you either didnt do enough research to warrant such claims(since as far as i read/saw, they were clearly planning to make the actual combat as much like skyrim as they could within the MMO paradigm), or you're just flinging crap around in order to invoke responses from people like me :p

EDIT: this video might give you more insight as to why I think this wont be what you think it would be.

19. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    WoW is an instant classic, I would love to put that back in 15 years from now and bang out a few hours, it was so much fun to play.

Sounds odd huh? That is our current 'MMO paradigm'.

20. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    My problem with WoW isn't gameplay, it was the constant dumbing down of content. My favorite times in WoW was during Vanilla and The Burning Crusade. Everything after that was a nerf fest making the game far too easy.

I played a lot of Ultima Online as well and the skill system in that game was/is incredible. The of the Elder Scrolls games use a very similar system, which I hope TESO retains which would make one of my dream games a reality. A gameplay system similar to WoW with the skill system of UO and as a bonus, the lore of a series like TES.

RAGE was developed by id and published by Bethesda. Zenimax developing TESO is a good thing, as they own Bethesda and it leaves Bethesda open to continue doing their thing with no real impact to their team.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  21. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    There is no potential here. The idea that people can find that movement/environment interaction system bearable after all this time, all these clones, horrifies me. You know what you see there? People standing around an immobile bad guy watching dmg indicators flash around them. This targeted click menu click interface is beyond unacceptable at this point. Even the graphics have that same generic wow clone look with the big fat low poly stylized trees and plants.

Give us a real engine, with real free motion combat like every other decent game for the past decade. That's what had people excited for the idea of this game, and that's why there was a universal scream of agony when the world found out it was some shit tier wow mmo not even done by the Bethesda team. If you're getting excited about this I hope you enjoy disappointment, or at the least can still play wow with a straight face.

Depth and 3870x2 say thanks.
  22. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    This guy gets it. If I weren't so pissed, I might have been able to come up with something as eloquent.

23. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I really enjoy the ES games.
    This MMO looks cool and I'll most likely try it, even though I'm not a big MMO fan.
    If I like it I'll stay, if not I'll leave.

I really don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks.

vawrvawerawe says thanks.
  24. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    I've been waiting for this for a year! Really hope they don't do the subscription route.

The game looks really good, nothing like WOW or any of those things. I could never play MMOs because I played for like 5 minutes to try it, and hated it.

Another video:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  25. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget the only reason to do this is the subscription route, they want to make money like WoW, who makes more a month than all titles on the PC combined (no source, asshole talking here)

Either that, or they might try microtransactions.

I don't disagree with the subscription route, as maintaining a MMO requires a lot of work, and sometimes I wonder how GW2 gets along without it.

vawrvawerawe says thanks.