1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elder Scrolls V SKYRIM !! 11-11-11

Discussion in 'Games' started by AphexDreamer, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Psychological masterpiece? lol. I always love how people over glorify their favorite games from the forever ago.

You don't have to do the main quest in Oblivion either. The amulet weights nothing so carrying it around does not change anything about you while you have it. I will admit there was some serious need for a larger, more diverse voice acting cast. That cannot be denied and occasionally seeing a VO talking to himself or me talking to the same VO like 4 times in a row was quiet annoying, but it didn't happen often.

It is very clear that you did not experience Oblivion. You seemed to have turned it on, did a few pieces of the main quest, screamed "This is not Morrowind!" and quit.

Because locks are your kryptonite. I just picked the lock. There is a distinct culture, history, problems, and secrets to every single town in Oblivion. The reason all of them look alike is because all the cities were built by Imperials. Over the years people settled in different cities for various reasons such as climate, racism, classism, and/or business needs. Argonians are treated like crap, so they try to avoid humans (Imperials in particular), and settled in Cyradiil as close to the Black Marsh as possible. There is a underground drug trade. The Ruler of Skingrad is a vampire and a nice guy, but can take on 4 armed men with his bare hands, so don't mess with him. The only slave trade i remember was people enslaving ogres. There was a lot of other things that shaped the world of Cyradiil, but I will stop there.

The difference is the game was centered around these social issues raised by racism and unfair treatment of the various races. Mainly because more important crap was going on.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've played both Morrowind and Oblivion extensively.
    Morrowind is superior to Oblivion in almost every way other than graphics, in my opinion.

Ray_Rogers2109 says thanks.
  3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I've heard the same, but it wouldn't mean Oblivion wasn't a great game. I personally couldn't stand the melee combat in either so I couldn't bring myself to play them sadly.

4. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Don't use melee.

theJesus says thanks.
  5. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey so its coming out in dx 11 right? and also do you need to try other elder scrolls to follow this game or does this have its own unique story?

6. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Generally unique. Not like Mass Effect series, for example.

7. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Yes. And you may want to brush up on general history and their pantheon of Gods, but not the entire previous games. It will be a unique self-contained story.

8. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I agree with this 100%. I just recently installed Oblivion again with some mods like OOO and QTP3, I'm hoping I can really get into it this time around. When I tried to play vanilla years ago, I got bored pretty quick.
    Magic FTW.

9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I don't play girly casters, when I play games in that setting, I am the Kurgan. I like feeling like the big action star, who when people see me coming they just crap their pants. And with no body adjustments in Oblivion it was hard form e to get into that, just couldn't make an impressive looking hero. Fallout I could get into a bit more because I was using guns and crap, felt more like an FPS, didn't make me want to cut people up.

Plus I didn't really find casting all that enjoyable either, I might mix it up with the nice 2 hand system in Skyrim though if they have some sweet stuff.

10. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    You could have been an Archer via thief stealth killing system. No magic and no melee. It was the gun of old days.

Actually there are several mods to give you crossbows and/or muskets. They were not game braking either.....cause the muskets sucked for accuracy. Or you could use a nice magic mod like Midus Magic Emporium. Some of the spells were a little OP, but they were also a bitch to create as well. You had to earn the OP stuff.

Sorry, I tend to fix any weakness the game with mods. Its why I am a little bias. lol

Last edited: May 17, 2011
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I havent played any of them. Im a big Fallout guy. Will I be able to pick SKYRIM up and know whats going on? In Fallout you can.....but its better to know the backstory.

12. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I picked up Oblivion without even knowing Morrowind existed... so i'm going to say yes.

TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  13. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same for Elder Scrolls. You can play it without any issues, but having played previous games allows you to better understand the lore, religion and the history which is one of the best things of the saga IMO. Pretty much like The Lord of the Rings is good in a big part because of the same things.

Most of it you will be able to read on books that you can find in-game (if you bother to read them) so you don't loose anything for not having played the previous ones, except that reading the accumulated number of books from all the games in a single game, can become tedious.

14. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i love that mind set "girly casters" I love meeting tanks like you online when im playing NWN or DDO or w/e else i might be on for. because you guys run up with your long swords talking smack over your head set because you have 90 more hitpoints then me and can carry 600lbs. That when i usually cast Power Word:Kill you fail the will save and immedielty die on the spot. and i continue happily to my destination after taking all your stuff. You mad?

theJesus says thanks.
  15. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I had to laugh at that, because I usually make all my magic-users female :laugh:

BTW, Skyrim looks like it might cater pretty well to both melee combat and magic.
    There are also combat mods that make melee more fun I believe. I'm not bothering with any combat or magic mods right now because I don't mind the current system. Yeah, it's boring compared to an action game, but this is role-playing game.
    Yeah, pretty much. The games aren't linear, they're just set in the same world.
    Hah, yeah I love killing people before they even get close to me :D

16. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I'm usually a ranger with two bastard swords.

Good luck :)

17. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    that seems legit i hope you dont have any penalties for carrying those swords or any failures because of armor check penalties I also hope that your dodge ability allows you to navigate your way through my holding spells assuming your dexterity is high enough. Or hopefully your hasted enough to dodge a spell of two before i nuke the entire area with a spell of "catastrophic" range. Thats all assuming you manage to get anyware before i cast time stop and mangle your body where you stand in real time, while you watch.

good luck.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  18. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Nah, I take whatever weapon size-related feat/s the game has to offer (oversized two-weapon fighting, monkey grip, or whatever they provide), and I tend to stick with studded leather so no penalties there.... my (starting) dexterity is generally around 16 or 17 (can't give an average number beyond that), so that's not too bad.... and I've got plenty of healing spells too, it's not like you can do too much with time stop....

19. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    time stop does all i need it to for he few rounds i have though with a dex of 16 or 17 id have to say that im cheating a little im under the impression we are maxed characters no cantrips im talking level 10 and epic spells.

though this is kinda fun maybe we should join a RP forum.

20. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I knew you were talking about level 10 or so, but I don't really plan my characters that much... I usually start with about the same character and then end up doing whatever I feel like (probably take a level or two of Cleric, maybe rogue, or fighter for weapon specialization) so I don't exactly have a guide for what I would be/have at level 10 (levels 1-4 are pretty much concrete though).

21. treehouse New Member

Thanks Received:
    and i hope you can do that all of that with 2 arrows in your head (30 fire 30 lightning 30 frost) ;)

not to mention the arrows specialty damage

22. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check out this neat-ass environment

[​IMG]

_33, 1Kurgan1, theJesus and 1 other person say thanks.
  23. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    i didnt mean level 10 i ment level 10 spells i was casting under a character capped at lvl 40.

24. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    That pic has been shown in this thread already.

25. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I do most of my browsing @ work, don't have time to look @ everything.

Do you guys think they will have any easter eggs from the Bloodmoon expansion? Probably at least one naked nord, looking for a witch:rolleyes: