1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elder Scrolls V SKYRIM !! 11-11-11

Discussion in 'Games' started by AphexDreamer, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont like STEAM either and have made a vow never to purchase any game that comes hackled with some pain in the arse DRM such as STEAM (BF3 being notable exception)......but this certainly wont stop me from playing TES V......

.......although with the exception of some stunning visuals, I dont really expect much from Skyrim. All the other Bethesda RPGs have bored the crap out of me and I dont see why this one will be any different.

2. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    No one said they were against big companies. Also, no one said "Oh a company is popular for its services? Well they must be evil because so many people use them."

I love the sameteam logical fallacy that you use to correlate intel with valve. That's a good one. The straw man logical fallacy in the middle is quite passé, I was expecting more. But since your entire argument is based on consequent affirmation I guess I just got my hopes up. You finish with a nice ad hominem fallacy, you manage to bind it with argumentum ad populum by mentioning hipsters. I didn't expect that. You conclude your post with a Ignoratio elenchi by confusing the service as something convenient with it's status in the moral and ethical world, thus completing the next verse of your epic.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  3. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I am. That is my decision, whether you agree or disagree.

And, as I have said, I am not trying to influence anyone to play or not play whatever they want, using whatever means they choose. I could care less how you, or anyone else, spends their money on entertainment.

While I can appreciate your opinion, and I sincerely believe you have the right to express it, it is my opinion that your rhetoric serves no purpose, other than to insult and attempt to demean those with whom you disagree.

4. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Aw you found another reactionary to not play great games with for dubious reasons. How heartwarming.

I mean, your view on DRM is not completely without merit but you take it waaaay to far.

I sure hope you apply the same boycotts to other companies who do real damage to society and the planet as opposed to simply creating some First World Problem like overly-restrictive DRM. And we are talking about Steam which isn't really even that, at least relatively. Otherwise, that's a whole lot of misguided attention and energy.

digibucc says thanks.
  5. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Well I will just use the same bulletproof defense that you guys used against me.

I will play the game and I will use steam on a daily basis, and that is my opinion whether you agree or disagree. I'm not trying to make you like steam and I Dont care if you do, I am just stating its overlooked usefulness. While I respect your statements, they hold no influence over me.

If Chewbacca lives on Endor then you must acquit.

At least I went out of my way to come up with a unique argument the first time around. While yours may be logically proper it is altogether boring and expected. I guess you will enjoy playing pacman and pirated games (hey there's no DRM on those amirite) in the future.

At the cost of potentially turning this thread into something its not meant to be, I am ending this battle on my end with this post.

6. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    just bought on Steam... waiting for 11/11/11 :)

digibucc says thanks.
  7. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    because he said: "I will not support a company who treats their honest customers as criminals"and steam has not done this.
    i don't even see how you could think that, it's only too obvious he is specifically talking about steam:"when I found out today that Steam is a requirement, I had to cancel my pre-order."
    actually, it highlights how repetitious and predictable you people have become.
    and this is where i knew that any semblance of objective rationality you displayed was just that- a semblance
    fyi you try too hard to appear intelligent, it has the opposite effect.

8. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that you choose to exercise that right.

However, name-calling and attempts at denigrating my point of view really serve no purpose, do they? Well, perhaps there are those with an agenda they wish to further...

Anyway, why is it that I express my opinion, regardless of the fact that I am in way advocating others to adopt the same, is met with derision and snide commentary?

Honestly, others opinions of me and my personal beliefs are meaningless and inconsequential.

So, please feel free to flame on, if it makes you feel better.

9. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    this thread went south pretty quick. take it in private please.

ViperXTR, El_Mayo and theJesus say thanks.
  10. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your concise rebuttal.

And, please do not infer that I pirate anything, because that is absolutely untrue.

11. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    No of course he doesn't pirate. If he did he wouldn't give a crap about this stuff and just laugh at DRM and those affected by it. Though if he did it would make his point of view pretty twisted as pirates are the reason this crap exists in the first place obviously. I'm sure there are some out there... :rolleyes:

Anyway, Bumblebee is right. This thread is for talking about the game. If you aren't going to buy/play it then you don't really belong in here in the first place.

12. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i know, and i'm sorry. i am done with that last post, however it was beyond my power to not respond. i'm working on that :)

13. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    Fair enough, since you asked politely.

I never intended this to escalate into what it has become, I was simply sharing my opinion.

Had I known there would have been such a negative reaction to my post, I would have deferred.

My apologies to the forum community.

14. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Hey you're better than me. "Reactionary" is pretty tame but it's "name calling" nonetheless.

Yes I can't wait for this game. Will be a great break and change from 3 weeks of crazy BF3 action too. I think I would put up with Bioware-style DRM if I had to. Hell, Origin is presently scanning my PC for God knows what and frankly I don't give much of a shit. That's how good the game is (though I also don't have anything on my gaming rig besides games).

Fair enough indeed. I apologize for the name.

15. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    Accepted.

Let us proceed as true gentlemen, and say that we agree to disagree.

16. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    In Morrowind, I stole every pillow I came across and then made a giant pillow fort.

17. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I was telling you to buy the damn game and get a steam crack for it and stop bitching about it to us.

EDIT:
    Didn't read the last page, but I'm leaving it here anyways.

18. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    No, thank you.

And, I am done.

19. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Arctucas I'm with you.

One of the reason i love TES was the fact they fix things in the patches, But if you want a slightly more broken game, Robes of st rorris, everlasting summoned armour ect. Then it's your choice to install the patches or not.

This is a single player RPG, It has no business been on steam. Bethesda should have gone the way of stardock. And had an online registration that meant you can digitally download and play with no CD's, They know you have a legit copy, And outside of that there not going to mess with your game.

Simple question for all you TES fans how will you feel when bethesda decide to rebalance parts of the game in a patch and that patch will kill your current build. With steam you have no control over that patch been applied.

I for one will be waiting for a non steam version..... And this was a game i actually wanted on the shelf next to the others.

20. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    This is the primary issue I have with it being on Steam. I feel like it might get in the way of modding.

I'm still going to buy the game though once it's on sale.

21. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    That's what Steam does.

Steam crack. Problem solved.

So to recap: buy the game, install it. Steam knows you have a copy, download it countless times from Steam. Get Steam crack, no more auto-patching, can still download from Steam. Questions?

22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    can you guys STFU about steam and cracks already? keep it on topic or i may get violent.

Wrigleyvillain and ViperXTR say thanks.
  23. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    are you guys kidding me?

[​IMG]

edit: i'm sorry mussels i didn't read your post, i will drop it now.

I am not confident this will be as good as morrowind or oblivion were, in fact i doubt it will - oblivion was worse than morrowind. regardless i will buy and enjoy it, because on any level it will be a great game.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    1Kurgan1, theJesus and Wrigleyvillain say thanks.
  24. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think this game looks like it's going to be great (except to Frick because he hates everything). Even some of the previewers who tried to mix it up a little by doing the unexpected to find issues when invited to play it at Bethsoft's office, were like, "Crap, this is awesome."

That being said, I'll probably wait for awhile to get it as I don't have a whole lot of time to play games at moment.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  25. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    this thread is still about Skyrim yes? (presses F5 multiple times) 0_o

Mussels says thanks.