1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elder Scrolls V SKYRIM !! 11-11-11

Discussion in 'Games' started by AphexDreamer, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the Collectors Edition guide is already being sold on eBay for $35-45 and the game isn't even out yet.

Dragon Age: Origins, Fallout 3 Collectors Edition and Oblivion: Game of the Year guide still in the shrink wrap commands a pretty penny.

2. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Don't see the point in a guide when half the fun is exploring unchartered terrain, besides, you can buy it, read it and then tell us all the things we missed when we ask. ;)

hellrazor says thanks.
  3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah the fun is in exploring but imo it's more fun to have knowledge about the area you are exploring.

4. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    After a few years in a elder scrolls game you can occasionally find things that are wrong with the books too. I love the one I have for morrowind, it has close to 10 years of notes written on all the pages.

You won't regret it at all, the book is a real treasure for these games. Get the hardcover, after the first year of real use the paperback book I had started to fall apart. I might get it rebound in leather hardcover on etsy someday, that would be sick.

5. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I never buy strat guides and to be honest I only bought the hardcover one because I was going to turn around and sell it for a lot more down the road when they are hard to come by. But then after thinking about it I decided that I'd use the book myself. That of course lowers the value but it's no biggie really. If I enjoy the guide I may just keep it anyway.

OR I may just pickup a paperback guide for my own use and keep the hardcover sealed up for a later sale.

6. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Black Panther says thanks.
  7. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Man, that's tempting.

8. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This sounds too good to be true?

If roughly 300 hours of game play wasn’t enough for you Todd Howard has a bit more to add to it. You may never have to stop questing in Bethesda’s upcoming release The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Wired.com got a hold of Howard for a phone interview this past Monday detailing the quest generation system featured in Skyrim.

Skyrim’s quest system continuously generates new quests depending on what you’ve already accomplished in game. Barmaids can give you quests to hunt for deer meat in order to keep the bar fully stocked, often times leading you to places you’ve never been before. This gives the game extra life and more reason for players to explore the less known areas of the map. Not only are minor quests generated to keep you exploring the world of Skyrim but factions also develop new quests after you’ve beaten the original scripted quest line. :twitch:

Howard mentioned that The Dark Brotherhood and The Thieves Guild will generate quests to steal special gems or assassinate annoying shop keepers after you’ve completed their respective scripted quest line. These generated quests will keep the game alive for much longer than the projected 300 hours and it will open up the massive world of Skyrim to a whole new level of exploration. Exploring Skyrim, Howard says, is one of Skyrim’s greatest strengths. Skyrim is filled with hidden secrets and special pieces of narrative that players will have to put together as they adventure through these vast landscapes.

Source: Wired.com

If really so, this is incredible!

hellrazor, Mussels, 1Kurgan1 and 2 others say thanks.
  9. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    hellrazor and BrooksyX say thanks.
  10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    so why waste your time telling me that. I don't care.

11. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Well, it was too tempting.
    I placed an order with Amazon, set to arrive for the longest dates (between Dec 12th and Dec 24th, and hopefully, I mean really hopefully, it'll get stuck with the Xmas shipping) with a note on it not to open before finishing the game :eek: The later it arrives the better.

:laugh:

12. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Utter, complete, mind-boggling awesomeness.

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  13. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    cute

14. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    That description is not accurate. There are a set number of general quests (though I expect there are hundreds of them). The quest generator does two important things. One, the quest giver can be changed dynamically based on what you have done in the world. If for some reason the original quest giver is dead or in jail or what have you, then someone else will be picked as the quest giver. The second thing is the location chosen by the generator to send you to is dynamic and designed to exclude any area you have been to from a previous quest. Since there is no back tracking, as you play you will continue to see new caves, new ruins, new areas, etc. that have all be hand crafted to look distinct.

While it doesn't sound as awesome, it still is. The Quest Generator means no one is immune to death or your influence on the world and no quest will back track a quest you have been on. It is just one more level to the diversity of the gameplay and that is what I love about Elder Scrolls games. Just because I did A, B, C, D, and E doesn't mean you will. You may never see what I saw, do the quest the way I did, and now it is possible we didn't even find out about the quest from the same place. We could both doe a quest to find The Eye of Skyrim. I could have done it for the Thieves Guild to become their new leader, while you did it for an antique collector looking to impress the King, and someone else could do the same quest for the Sorcerer's School to build a weapon out of it. We could all do the same quest for completely different reasons, for completely different people, and find it in completely different locations.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
    Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  15. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    hahaaa nice :)

5 Million points folded for TPU
  16. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Well I was going to pre-rder today then we had a snow storm and I really don't want to drive my car in town, but now I remembered I have a all day work training thing to do tomorrow. I really want to get that map and if I pre-order from gamestop I can trade in my old game I have $30 plus they will give me extra 50%.

17. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    broke down and preordered it on steam. at least i got to preload it and can play tomorrow night.

I am quite interested to see how it run on my laptop with intel hd 3000 graphics. I know it will run awesome on my signature rig but I will be going home for the holidays and dont want to lug my pc home (maybe for christmas break) but if i can play with good fps on my laptop with low settings and 1360x768 resolution ill just use that. Looking forward to having steam cloud ability so i can use 1 save on both rigs.

18. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like how Red Dead Redemption worked a bit, I was very impressed with their system, the world really felt alive. I would be extremely happy if what he says is true, random events make the world so much better.

19. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    lol, I play similarly.
    *get quest*
    *explore for a bit*
    "Aha, I think this is the way I'm supposed to go"
    *turn around and go opposite direction*

hellrazor, Mussels and digibucc say thanks.
  20. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    http://www.gamefront.com/everything-we-know-about-skyrim/

Launches for many of the Fall’s biggest games have come and gone, but one monstrous title looms, glowering, on the horizon. Huge and complicated — like its title — The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim promises to set a new standard for epic fantasy gaming.

Thanks to its non-traditional, numerologically significant release date — Friday, 11/11/11 — Skyrim is still a couple of days away. That leaves plenty of time for rampant speculation and fevered anticipation. Thanks to the efforts of distinguished medical professionals, we now know that reading extensive preview articles is the best way to combat pre-release jitters. With that in mind, GameFront presents: Everything We Know About Skyrim.

Read more here: http://www.gamefront.com/everything-we-know-about-skyrim/

hellrazor says thanks.
  21. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Two monstrous titles remain (counting Skyrim).

22. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    hm?

23. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Old Republic?

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  24. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    my assumption, but want to be sure ;) i'm in beta for that, it is definitely going to be good :)

25. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Interesting: possibly a spoiler on how bounties work and how they're not the same as Oblivion's

You can also infiltrate other people’s property — Skyrim will have a streamlined lockpicking system that more closely resembles Fallout 3′s. Pickpocketing is also slightly altered: NPC’s are now more protective of valuable or heavy items, so if you try to steal a ring or a broadsword, expect to get caught.

If you are caught by the municipal authorities, you’ll have to spend some time in jail. Skyrim has dispensed with Oblivion’s incarceration system, which punished players by having their skills deteriorate during the time they spent in lock-up. In Skyrim, you’ll lose the progress you made towards your next skill, but you won’t get worse at anything. If you manage to temporarily escape the long arm of the law, you might get a price put on your head, though if you manage to kill all the people who witnessed your crime, the bounty will be removed.

If you murder a private citizen, there’s a chance that his or her family might try to track you down and take revenge.