• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim (Discussion)

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Saw a thread on escapist the other day. Someone was asking how to make Skyrim more enjoyable, and the same person made the startling point of there being very few bosses and very limited loot.

So for instance, caves are bandits, dungeons are druagr and deep dungeons are falmer. Where are the minibosses? Ones that aren't dragur kings? and where is the loot? There is next to no random loot that is worth picking up.

Discuss

If you've played any Elder Scrolls game in the past you'd know that the point of its expansiveness isn't to find a random mini boss in every cave or dugeon. The loot is random and its actually based on your LUCK. So if your luck is high you will get better loot then if your luck is low. Its how they make luck useful.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Been playing Skyrim a fair bit since I had dawnguard DLC for a while now.
I see it still has it's bugs.

http://img.techpowerup.org/120917/2012-09-07_00003.jpg

I'm not sure if you think those corpses are bugs. But it's just how they fell, clipping, not really a bug. And arrow isn't either, skyrim doesn't account for headshots as far as I know, so an arrow in the tongue is no different than an arrow in the toe.

Either way, I see your head up the pooper pose, and raise you with the Golden Shower pose. I killed this guy, then looted his gear and realized his position was hilarious, and a look on the face that matches.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Where is crazyeyes?

Iv been doing some testing because we all came to the conclusion awhile ago that alot of skyrims performance was CPU based. Initial tests showed that a higher clock rate yeilded better results which makes sense. Today though I was monitoring temps and I noticed CPU usage graphs on a gadget of mine. What I noticed suggested that skyrim doesnt really use that much. looking at my gpu usage i noticed i hit about 80% +/- on a single GPU. so the question remains were do the gains come from I wonder? Here are some of my tests.

these settings we taken on my system to the left. one at 4.3ghz the other at 4.0ghz all settings in the CP are high or ultra with everything enabled, .inis are vanilla.

Location of save file.

from here I walked to the east empire company I used the exact same route both times.

At 4.0 Ghz these were my results polled every min.

judging from that quick test run the avg cpu usage is

10.5%

At 4.3

cpu usage avg 9.25%

Now for the next test I fast travel to the docks instead of walking. I then enter solitude which I have not yet discovered. I spend 10seconds inside the doors and let the town load to its fullest. I then quite to desktop

at 4.0ghz

cpu avg 10%

avg 10.6%

So my question is does clock rate really matter at this speed? judging by RAW usage calculations and avg usage calculations the cpu isnt getting stressed enough to really make a diffirence. at least at anything over 4ghz even a 300mhz increase yeilded negligable gain.

but this doesnt explain why cpu usage effects frame rate so much for everyone. because usage whise their is almost no diffirence. does anyone notice an kind of gain in frames clocking past 4ghz?

for those interested new version of cpu monitor below.

Attachments

• Program CPU Monitor.exe
    10.5 KB · Views: 569

Phusius

Processor i5-2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard Asus Z68 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 @ 1200/1475 @ 1175v
Display(s) Dell 23" 2ms
Case Carbide 500r
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
Impressive Solaris.

System Name Torquey Vulture
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 MiniITX
Cooling DDC water loop, EK block
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper RGB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Storage 500gb NVME; some Phat HDDs
Display(s) Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440
Case Thermaltake V1 MiniITX
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 G2
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Possibly the cheapest you can buy. Shift key broke recently. Space sounds like I'm kicking a ham
Software Windows 10
My CPU doesnt like to go past 4.0 ghz. But I think that for me its a tiny bit irrelevant, my 670 keeps it at 60 almost all the time. (It makes me happy inside. lol) Its mostly the shadows that are CPU bound in skyrim, correct?

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
Well, after a long time not playing this game for whatever reason, I fired it up last week and I am unable to put it down again. I started from scratch, playing completely differently from my usual playstyle. All stealth and arrows.

I talked to some Whiterun guards until I heard the arrow to the knee comment, now they won't STFU about it.

Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Possibly the cheapest you can buy. Shift key broke recently. Space sounds like I'm kicking a ham
Software Windows 10
Lol. Do this:

It's very fulfilling. Also somewhat difficult to not get caught doing it; sniping from the rooftops with an Ebony bow/Deadric arrow combo is quite fun. 3x damage when sneaking for a total of over 600. Only took me about a day though. Thats all the guards that patrol whiterun. (Of course, for it to be ethical I waited until they said somrthing rude to me.) I've grown tired of random guard slaying, now I just steal their clothes. Or maybe I'm just lazy? lol

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Where is crazyeyes?

Iv been doing some testing because we all came to the conclusion awhile ago that alot of skyrims performance was CPU based. Initial tests showed that a higher clock rate yeilded better results which makes sense. Today though I was monitoring temps and I noticed CPU usage graphs on a gadget of mine. What I noticed suggested that skyrim doesnt really use that much. looking at my gpu usage i noticed i hit about 80% +/- on a single GPU. so the question remains were do the gains come from I wonder? Here are some of my tests.

these settings we taken on my system to the left. one at 4.3ghz the other at 4.0ghz all settings in the CP are high or ultra with everything enabled, .inis are vanilla.

Location of save file.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577841685459724016/10D4ACB3532178FECCF80706C7DF7F3EECBBCBEC/

from here I walked to the east empire company I used the exact same route both times.

At 4.0 Ghz these were my results polled every min.

http://img.techpowerup.org/120918/skyrimtosol4.0.png

judging from that quick test run the avg cpu usage is

10.5%

At 4.3

http://img.techpowerup.org/120918/skyrimtosol4.3.png

cpu usage avg 9.25%

Now for the next test I fast travel to the docks instead of walking. I then enter solitude which I have not yet discovered. I spend 10seconds inside the doors and let the town load to its fullest. I then quite to desktop

at 4.0ghz

http://img.techpowerup.org/120918/teltosol4.0.png

cpu avg 10%

http://img.techpowerup.org/120918/teltosol4.3.png

avg 10.6%

So my question is does clock rate really matter at this speed? judging by RAW usage calculations and avg usage calculations the cpu isnt getting stressed enough to really make a diffirence. at least at anything over 4ghz even a 300mhz increase yeilded negligable gain.

but this doesnt explain why cpu usage effects frame rate so much for everyone. because usage whise their is almost no diffirence. does anyone notice an kind of gain in frames clocking past 4ghz?

for those interested new version of cpu monitor below.

A while back after i kinda left the thread Bethesda realized what i was saying, aka they had 0 optimizations turned on in the exe so when they did some recompiling for one of the patches (i forget which one) they turned those optimizations back on and viola performance restored. essentially Bethesda shipped Skyrim for PC with 0 optimizations on the base game once they noticed the problem they finally fixed it and that was that, before hand you had to brute force things, also INI being vanilla is one of your problems

SHADOWS are CPU based
UGRID setting = cells loaded more cells means more AI the game has to calculate and keep track off, these two settings both being limited to 1 core is why performance suffers,

set your shadow settings to 8196 like i do or 4096 and youll see performance drop but GPU usage remain the same

UGRID setting impacts gpu performance a bit but is still heavy on the CPU it has to load alot more data default is 5, most run 7 i use 9 and ive pushed as high as 13 this impacts memory, cpu and disk a bit as it has to load alot of data and keep track of quite a bit in terms of whats going on from NPCs to creatures in terms of AI, physics for that entire region for all said things + random events in said area etc all takes a toll on CPU.

at ugrid 9 and Shadows of 8196 primary and 4096 secondary performance drops alot its playable NOW but wasnt back before said patch.

pre patches it would avg 23-30fps on a 2500k at 4.4ghz gpus sat around 30-40% usage if that. I havent tested any further in a long time however so my mind is fairly rusty as im just waiting for all the expansions to release then Ill get back into the game. But from what i remember one patch with optimizations increased my framerate by nearly double.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
A while back after i kinda left the thread Bethesda realized what i was saying, aka they had 0 optimizations turned on in the exe so when they did some recompiling for one of the patches (i forget which one) they turned those optimizations back on and viola performance restored. essentially Bethesda shipped Skyrim for PC with 0 optimizations on the base game once they noticed the problem they finally fixed it and that was that, before hand you had to brute force things, also INI being vanilla is one of your problems

SHADOWS are CPU based
UGRID setting = cells loaded more cells means more AI the game has to calculate and keep track off, these two settings both being limited to 1 core is why performance suffers,

set your shadow settings to 8196 like i do or 4096 and youll see performance drop but GPU usage remain the same

UGRID setting impacts gpu performance a bit but is still heavy on the CPU it has to load alot more data default is 5, most run 7 i use 9 and ive pushed as high as 13 this impacts memory, cpu and disk a bit as it has to load alot of data and keep track of quite a bit in terms of whats going on from NPCs to creatures in terms of AI, physics for that entire region for all said things + random events in said area etc all takes a toll on CPU.

at ugrid 9 and Shadows of 8196 primary and 4096 secondary performance drops alot its playable NOW but wasnt back before said patch.

pre patches it would avg 23-30fps on a 2500k at 4.4ghz gpus sat around 30-40% usage if that. I havent tested any further in a long time however so my mind is fairly rusty as im just waiting for all the expansions to release then Ill get back into the game. But from what i remember one patch with optimizations increased my framerate by nearly double.

you and me sir will need to do some extravagant testing. I wouldnt necissarily say it was a problem i ran stock inis for a reason i didnt want the testing to be contaminated. you understand.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well stock it wasnt a big deal the dips ppl had were in towns primarily and that was a CPU bottleneck Bethesda fixed that major issue

now the only bottlenecks are when pushing extreme graphics settings, and thats do to the code being 10 years old at this point and still single threaded.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
well stock it wasnt a big deal the dips ppl had were in towns primarily and that was a CPU bottleneck Bethesda fixed that major issue

now the only bottlenecks are when pushing extreme graphics settings, and thats do to the code being 10 years old at this point and still single threaded.

hey! if you dont do testing with me for the hell of it (regardless of engine age) imma pop you in the mouth!

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
yea yea ill include my ini files in a zip and send it your way so you can see what im using for ini settings. to get an idea of what im looking at ill run the game with mods off just ini tweaks and report back.

any chance your tool will log to a notepad file every 10 seconds or so what the CPU usage value is.? if it does that would be great i cant remember if it does or not and im to lazy right now its late i gotta be up early but ill take a look and test various settings.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
yea yea ill include my ini files in a zip and send it your way so you can see what im using for ini settings. to get an idea of what im looking at ill run the game with mods off just ini tweaks and report back.

any chance your tool will log to a notepad file every 10 seconds or so what the CPU usage value is.? if it does that would be great i cant remember if it does or not and im to lazy right now its late i gotta be up early but ill take a look and test various settings.

it logs every min continuously. if i short stroke it much more it will become innaccurate.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
eitherway ill look into it tomorrow

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Gravity bugs!

I'm glad I bought a card with 4GB Vram. ugridstoload 9 looks nicely detailed and good fps! (The above 2 photos don't look good because I converted them to .jpg)

Solaris and Crazyeyesreaper, I'd love to test out .ini's with you!

Last edited:
System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
If I'm using 1.53 GB out 2GB for UGRIDS 7 would it be safe for me to go 2 UGRIDS 9?

Also ran a quick test outside my card used 31% of my CPU at 4.5Ghz and 1356MB of my RAM with these shadow settings.

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
fInteriorShadowDistance=3000.0000
fShadowDistance=8000.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=2048
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
iShadowSplitCount=2

Would I a be safe upping those as well? Might just try anyways.

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
save you ini test higher settings if they dont work drag drop its all you can do Bethesda's games performance wise with ini changes vary more than the split personalities of schizophrenic

Saw a thread on escapist the other day. Someone was asking how to make Skyrim more enjoyable, and the same person made the startling point of there being very few bosses and very limited loot.

So for instance, caves are bandits, dungeons are druagr and deep dungeons are falmer. Where are the minibosses? Ones that aren't dragur kings? and where is the loot? There is next to no random loot that is worth picking up.

Discuss

I have to ask, what are you smoking?
I want some...

If I wanted to play Zelda, I'd play Zelda. Same aesthetic choices (in the older games). Each area has a dungeon with a boss, and usually a mini-boss. The other trappings change, but the very broadest basics are the same.

I want an Elder Scrolls game when I buy Skyrim. The worlds are open. Creatures level. A luck level 1 character can kill a Druagr Overlord, and a level 80 character can be killed by a pack of Skeever if they spent all of their upgrades on Magika. There are no artificial walls, that you can only get through once you get item x (overlooking the locked dungeons relating to story events).

You have a problem with this, write a mod. There are already at least a handful that change this gameplay choice. You want to ask why the designer chose what they did, then ask them. The fans railed against the ME ending. The fans railed against Capcom's on disc DLC. If you really think that Skyrim should have been something else speak up. Otherwise, this is the biggest dead-ended trap conversation that I could think of.

Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Software Windows 10
Gravity bugs!

http://img.techpowerup.org/120920/1.jpg

http://img.techpowerup.org/120920/2.jpg

I'm glad I bought a card with 4GB Vram. ugridstoload 9 looks nicely detailed and good fps! (The above 2 photos don't look good because I converted them to .jpg)
http://i.imgur.com/AN9Ax.jpg

Solaris and Crazyeyesreaper, I'd love to test out .ini's with you!

I'm kindof sad, I don't know for sure exactly where that is. I thought I knew just about every outside place in skyrim; is that like northeast of Markarth a ways?

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
if im gonna do any INI testing i need a basic save file past the intro with 0 mods enabled, with vanilla ini i dont have time to be searching for this shit.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Hearthfire is out for PC if anyone want to make their own home in game and....adopt children.

Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Software Windows 10
No silly, we want to kill the snobbish invulnerable children. :laugh:

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Software Windows 10
And of course I have it, lol. I think the civil war also deals with the jarls children

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
No silly, we want to kill the snobbish invulnerable children. :laugh:

The first mod I downloaded for Skyrim was the one that let you kill children.

I hate having invulnerable NPCs, especially when they are cheeky little bastards. Also downloaded the killable children mod for Fallout.