1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    I've never had good experience with tweaks for any game. They always either mess up stuff completely or have no effect at all. Will you really notice the ~1 fps gain from 45 minutes of tweaking?

2. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I always have a companion to tag along and get beaten on while I stand back and take pot shots until the enemy is weak, so I can rush in and take the glory kill at the last minute :D so I found companions + summoned creatures to be a problem when they decide to stand in doorways.

I would
    Sprint (alt) at them and they will stumble backwards out of the way
    Although once I had to use
    complete Unrelenting Force shout
    on the companion to follow me over the waterfall once.

The mammoth rocked on up and hit me one while I was over looking the dragon corpse.
    By then I the
    Animal Allegiance shout
    I used must have wore off.

My character is pretty much a warrior mage (Spellsword).
    I tend to summon a creature to use as bait then I run in and slaughter the enemies with dual weapons while they are trying to beat on my fire atronach.
    My character also has 80+ heavy armour atm with high stamina fortify carry boots and the conditioning perk so I can carry a lot of crap to take back to the towns to sell or just horde in my house.

nt300 says thanks.
  3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    no one tweaks for FPS gain, people tweak for image quality gain :toast:

like increasing draw distances

or improving LOD distance so meshes dont pop in and out as much and maintain high res status for a greater distance (mostly noticeable on objects in the world and the terrain itself.)

improving lighting and shadows,

add all the above together and you tend to get a much better looking game.

4. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    I think i am stuck at a point in this game in the Companion Quest line and was wondering if anybody else has found a way around this bug or a possable fix

My problem goes like this I just finished the quest to get the witch Heads to find a cure but when i got back the silver hand has attacked and now the leader is dead and now everybody is stuck at what they where doing when i fist got there like both Aela the huntress is out side constantly saying thoes two arn't a problem any more and the other guy constantly saying something else and i can't continue the quest line anybody know of a way to fix this or am i just screwed

5. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Yep, it's what I'm using.

You won't notice any game unless you are running a lot of mods. I was running so many I started getting game crashes, making the game LAA the crashes are 100% gone. So if you aren't running a lot of texture mods, it won't do anything for you.

As said above, and kinda of what crazy also said. Won't help unless you are modding, and people normally don't tweak for fps gain unless they have modded which caused fps loss.

Some people do, theres a lower res texture pack out there. For people who might want to play the game on a lower spec laptop when they need some mobile gaming entertainment and a desktop won't do.

freakshow says thanks.
  6. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Fixed :toast:

7. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I remember I think Solaris linking a picture of an extremely low res tree the other day, and it seems someone caught onto that tree, so if people want to fix it, here's the fix.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    Wrigleyvillain and Ahhzz say thanks.
  8. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    "Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside"

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside"

[​IMG]

yogurt_21, theJesus and digibucc say thanks.
  9. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    There must be something wrong with me coz im finding Skyrim very boring, atleast there is World of Tanks and Saints Row 3 do satisfy my gaming itch :ohwell:

10. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Increase your drug intake, that dispels monotony in most cases.

11. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Blasphemy! :laugh:

For me it's the other way around, games I anticipated previously I no longer care for because of this game. :laugh:

nt300, Wrigleyvillain and freakshow say thanks.
  12. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Actually, the game does recall the episodes in the Misty Mountains to a large degree, hopefully a good mod will appear to take advantage of this.

13. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    was anyone here able to drastically increase the view distance of grass and general scenery like rocks, and the LOD of more distant textures, via the ini file?
    I have no problem tweaking the shadows, but it seems, that all the grass and block related commands dont work anymore, in Skyrim.

That only works for a while,trust me! ;)

14. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    The only thing that's going to have me distracted (including a disappointing Deus Ex showing, and a VERY distracting Tribes:Ascend Beta), .... and I don't have a choice there, as the fiancee will be playing it, will be the (fortunately for more time, and unfortunately I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO IT) delayed again :banghead::banghead::cry:, Torchlight 2.

15. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, what's a good quest line? I've completed the companion ones, and I'm doing some of the thieves guild ones atm and they're kinda boring.

16. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I'm not for sure but is this not it?

[​IMG]

17. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Whats the fix? The image link is apparently broken.

Yeah. Maybe it's not drastic but I found a tweaked Ultra ini and I went through it and changed some values on mine too. He raised the numbers a lot on many draw distance values and such. Look on the Nexus or I can share with you later.

18. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I think it's just you. This is the first game I have been overwhelmed with the amount of content there is. It's hard to pick where to go or what to do, and even when I do it takes me hours to get there as I explorer the places I find along the way.

They added a bit to the picture and uploaded it under a different url, I updated that post with the new image. It's fro mthe mod we were talking about Vurt Flora. They had only done Pines before, I'm not a fan of the Pine Bark, but you can get the pine branches separately, I feel those are a must have, you can see each needle, it's very impressive. And then get the Aspen trees since the textures on them were horrible, then your trees should look great,

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  19. Csokis

Csokis

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    random, Ahhzz, Black Panther and 5 others say thanks.
  20. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Epic archer is epic

21. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    I'm always playing this game with my mouth open saying WOW WOW WOOOOW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    So far I've been pretty much a mage. The only thing I've really put any perks into is destruction, and I've mostly increased magicka instead of health or stamina. Since I'm very squishy as a result, I let Lydia take all the damage while I KILL IT WITH FIRE! Most bandits die in one hit from a dual fire-bolt or quick burst of dual flame. I use frost and lightning too if the enemy doesn't seem weak to fire.

I haven't taken sides with the Imperials or the Stormcloaks yet; I'm trying to stay neutral for as long as possible with that.
    I think the arrow through the head approach tends to work out better.
    That's because they made the default fucking ugly with wrinkles everywhere.

23. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Dirty too. It's a rough-and-tumble land and time but still...

So given the (well-deserved) awesome reception and sales (as many people definitely didn't seem as excited for this game as BF3 either but sort of apple-to-oranges) The Elder Scrolls series definitely has a further lease on life. And I'm seeing more than a few comments-perhaps all speculation but people sounded pretty sure-about how the next will take place down south in the Khajit province of Elseweyr.

[​IMG]

24. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Look who I just found he is to fast to catch on foot.

This happened during a dragon battle and it was around 12am game time at Fort Greymoor
    [​IMG]

25. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Here's just a collection of either funny or interesting/cool screens I've taken; some are glitches, some are landscapes, etc.

The blizzards in this game are awesome!
    [​IMG]

Nice view of Bloated Man's Grotto after climbing to the top in hopes of finding something (alas, I searched every inch and nothing)
    [​IMG]

The birds and their nests aren't very pretty up close :(
    [​IMG]

lol Inside a rock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lydia with a spike of ice through her head.
    [​IMG]

Fuck physics, I'm on a HORSE!
    [​IMG]

On the very top of a mountain with my horse; again, fuck physics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice view up there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lol at this falmer I killed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, this last series is the most interesting glitch I've had by far. I got on my horse and starting running, but my body stayed in the air. It still had the proper animations for everything I did with the horse, but it was just stuck in that one spot. I dismounted and appeared next to the horse, then got back on and appeared back in that same spot in the air again.

Now the really fun part was that Lydia was still trying to follow my body, so I ran away with the horse, then dismounted so she would start running towards me next to the horse. Then I'd get back on and suddenly appear at the other spot so she'd have to turn around and run the other way lol. I eventually fixed it by just reloading my save.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]