1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    haha its finals week for me at my college. I gave my usb xbox controller to my girlfriend so I wouldnt be tempted to play this week because I have so much to do.

2. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
  3. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know if they are going to fix the game menus for eyefinity in the patch thats coming out?

4. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    There's little mention of what the incremental patch to 1.2 is actually going to fix besides the significant bugs which 1.2 caused.

The next proper patch is supposed to be aimed at resolving quest bugs.
    Although I can not remember where I did see this.

5. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Playing around with my 3 Gb 580 today. Number one, zero FPS increase. Zero. Totally cpu bound on my 4.4 ghz 2600k from my ini tweaks. Had no effect on the save load issue or max ugrid. Anything past ugrid 9 for me takes too much time to load. iShadowMapResolution is the only thing I saw a benefit with, which seems to be worthless. Cranked it up to 131072, didn't help the shadow situation. It's going to be years before we can max this game, and for no justifiable reason.

digibucc says thanks.
  6. sixequalszero

sixequalszero New Member

Thanks Received:

Mod manager will tell you this. It can also overwrite the files of one mod with another if you want to mix and match a bit.

pantherx12 says thanks.
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, this games loads all four of my cores to almost maximum. Really strange.

8. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    ^ Wait...what? Not only does mine not load all four it barley loads two and my average temp while gaming is like 5C above idle. Perf is fine all in all, though...

9. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yup.. and at 4.8ghz too. I mean, it works fine (I have to have vsync on or stutter-rama happens). No other game does this but I'm not surprised due to the engine. Same engine that the other Elder Scrolls games have used and full of the same wierd bugs and other stuff.

10. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    What are your temps like compared to BF3 or something like that?

11. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to check on that.

12. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Loads 4 cores to almost maximum?

This is the most I get... on my 2 cores...

[​IMG]

___

Today is the first day since release that I'm too tired to play and have to choose sleep!

13. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    131k shadowmap.... there must be a limit in the game somewhere, because 16k shadowmap is absolute murder on any system I have seen yet. 131k is what 8x more than that. With 16k my load screen time increased by I would say 30 sec, 131k would be like a 5 min increase :laugh:

14. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Mine seems to pick two random cores to spice up, and they crank up a bit, usually over 50% on them, counting everything running (usually a web page or two, GPU-Z, not much else besides standard Win7 stuff), but the other two cores run around 20% or so, or lower. I'm just running the 11.11 Catalyst drivers, I think, not even the a, but I'll have to check at home. My point there being that my single, XF-disabled 2Gb 6950 is usually running maxed out. I'd really like to bump to a XF setup and see if I can get some better use out of the system, but seeing all the bugs/issues makes me wary.

Anyone got any straight forward answer to running the 0-day patch with LAA enabled for best XF setup?

15. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...it's easy for me as my mobo's POST code readout shows temperature when booted into OS.

16. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Bah, figured it out. With vsync enablled, I get the same thing as the rest of you in terms of CPU usage. What caused the high CPU usage was adding the "iPresentInterval=0" in the wrong skyrimprefs.ini file. :ohwell:

Ahhzz and Black Panther say thanks.
  17. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

Happy days? :toast:

18. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

set the resolution and also set shadow bluring to 32 for best effect : ]

Also, 3gb means more textures!

Up everything that can be upped as well, water AA/resolution/reflection.

Draw distances of everything etc force AA to x16 in the ini files as well.

Go nuts :p

What one is the wrong one just to clarify? as I'm fairly certain I put it in both just incase XD

19. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    New textures I have added already add up to 3-4 GB and that is with most of my mods being in their infancy :D

20. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yea games cpu bound only

mostly because the Game has 1 thread devoted to CPU shadows, that 1 thread tends to be why higher shadows rape a pc's its also why shadows tend to look like shit, again if Bethesda wasnt so cheap and just bought a new license to the new gamebryo engine, they wouldnt have many of these issues, the new engine fully supports DX11 multi threaded rendering and all those goodies.

just another example of a console port, ill wait and see what Ivy Bridge brings, better performance per clock + higher overclocks might improve the situation some,

need to find someone with a good clocking sandybridge cpu and test the games performance at 3ghz 3.5ghz 4ghz 4.5ghz and 5ghz,

from what ive noticed performance should scale nearly linearly as cpu clock goes up, I would do it myself but my cpu is a shit clocker. so thats out of the question

but yea 99% of the reasons Skyrim runs like ass when upping Ugrid settings is mostly because it changes the number of cells in which AI is active, shadows are rendered and all other subroutines, add in bad coding with little to no multi threading and well performance sucks, CPU clock scaling should show this. although most of these issues are easy to ignore, the biggest problem is Skyrim again runs shadows on the cpu, and its managed by just 1 thread, on 1 core, meaning its the extreme bottleneck, its also why shadows look terrible as well, theres just no winning when shadows are handled by the CPU,

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
    jonathan1107 says thanks.
  21. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    I agree with crazyeyes... I've tested the game with default BIOS settings... (2.93ghz=around ~25FPS avg)
    3.4ghz = *32 FPS avg
    4ghz = 45 FPS avg

It is kind of an ironic situation here... because Bethesda put a lot of eye candy in this game... (or eye-candy options like the ugrids...)
    But they didn't provide us (yet) with the required tools to use our hardware to it's full advantage...

22. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    the tools dont matter,

only thing that matters is litterally moving shadows from CPU to GPU, doing that would remove a giant bottleneck probably the worst bottleneck in the game,

after all theres a reason Morrowind with MGE XE can use realtime dynamic shadows fully modded and cpu isnt a bottlneck lol, there first game using Gamebryo with halfbaked plugins and engine edits offers better CPU performance then there so called Creation engine,

most of this stems from the fact, that morrowind didnt have much for shadowing so moving it to the GPU wasnt so bad, with Skyrim its now the 4th game in 5 years to use CPU shadow rendering, back when Oblivion came out yea that was okay, in 2011 not so much lol.

theres already ways to bypass the limitation of the Creation Kit, so full on mods can still be produced, even without it,

sadly we just need bethesda to patch in GPU- Shadows, instead of CPU shadows and we should see a fairly large performance bump across the board.

23. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, maybe somebody should give Mussels some head for xmas :p
    Right, but I don't really expect messengers to be dispatched to every single location all across Skyrim when one little village gets attacked. Hell, that little village probably doesn't even have enough people for that anyways.

24. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really hope they do gpu shadows and multi threaded rendering.

Is anyone else impressed by how many items can have physics simulations running on at once?

Imagine how much could be rendered if they utilised more than two cores for the game.

with 3000 cheese wheels bouncing down a mountain ( had to copy the videos on youtube lol) game doesn't go below 30 fps. ( 20 thousand + cheeses rolling down a mountain would be epic)

( Eat that phsyx! that's how to do cpu physics)

Although having said that if they could get physics to run on the GPU could see up to 500 thousand objects raining down the side of mountains XD lol

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  25. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    The game uses all four of my cores as well though not at 100% more like 50-70%

Though its been awhile since I verified. Maybe it does max them out but I'm doubtful.