1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elderly Machine VS Hi End Graphics

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Skeezix, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Skeezix New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am running an older but very stable and serviceable machine that up until now has handled everything thrown at it. Older machine with XP, 3gig processor, 2G Ram and a 256mb Video card. When running a very complex house design using an architectural program, it works great until I do 3D rendering. Slows down to say the least and often crashes. It is old enough that it won't take a PCIe card and so I can't upgrade to a higher end graphics card (I don't think). I upgraded memory some time back to 2 gig and upgraded the power supply when I added the new video card. I really don't want to go to a new computer but am at a loss as to how I can soup this up any further. Any and all thoughts appreciated.....I am a user not a geek so keeping things on the dumb level would help me here.....:)

2. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm. Sounds like you have a 3GHz Pentium 4 processor (socket 478), 2GB of DDR memory and some graphics card.

With that said, I think you've just about done everything you can for that system. You could upgrade the CPU to a faster Pentium 4, the fastest they made was at 3.8GHz. But I don't think that's really worth the effort. I really think you need a new system. I know you said that you don't want to go that route, but you've milked all you can out of your current one.

If you do decide to get a new system, you can build a moderately powerful (by today's standards) computer which will be 2 or 3 times faster than your current one for under $500. You could probably build a budget system for $400 and a very powerful system for $800. Let us know if you want to go this route, because we'll be happy to help you pick the parts out.

Skeezix says thanks.
  3. Skeezix New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am getting there......just keep hemming and hawing!! Thanks for the advice and offer.

4. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Skeezix says thanks.
  5. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    This does rely on the graphics card. Even if you don't have a PCIe slot, you should have an AGP slot, and the beefiest card left for that is the ATI HD3850 at the moment. More than likely to be a huge improvement.

There's not a lot left on the market for AGP, but if your system can use it, you should be good for another couple of years.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=AT-3850AGP&c=fr&pid=bca6f4de1505c8bea96e80b45042dedf3d4798c70b94bdc2470c9ddb9cf222b2

lol, and if you don't have an AGP slot, you should definitely have a PCI slot.
    but i wouldn't recommend it...

Skeezix says thanks.
  6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    The above link is the best of the best for AGP and would work for you with what your doing...or grab a used fireGL card.

Skeezix says thanks.
  7. anonymous_user New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well unless you have the dough to buy a dedicated workstation card (think nvidia quadro or ati firegl), you could try softmodding your curent solution to its workstation equivalent, won't do much for performance but will increase stability. What program are you using? Some 3d softwares are more cpu dependant. From what you're saying I'm guessing you have a P4 proably with HT, so there's definitely room for improvement there.

Skeezix says thanks.
  8. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    3D rendering with a P4 was never very good.

Don't waste your time buying old AGP cards for $120+ when you can buy a whole new system for as little as $400 that will eat your current system alive...its time to upgrade, you wont regret it!

9. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'm with you on this one. :toast:

Skeezix says thanks.
  10. Skeezix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks to all who have responded...the software is Chief Architect X1 and yes, it is an oat burner...but one of the best architectural programs around. I hadn't seen a 512mb AGP card until the one that youse folks sent me.....I will consider it but I think you are convincing me to upgrade to a new system.....

11. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your system is obsolete... With all the new software and hardware, your current system versus today's "cheap" systems will still out preform your current computer...

Getting a new system will give you less headaches in the future...

12. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
  13. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    I say go ahead and up your ram to an even 3GB (3 gigs of ram is all XP will read) and go ahead and buy a HIS Radeon HD 3850, or the Sapphire version... those are top of the line when it comes to the AGP interface. I have one (Sapphire) that im no longer using.. that card is a beast for AGP. I loved it when I was using it. With all that said, If you do end up buying the 3GB of ram and a 3850(AGP) you can test your system and decide if its right for you instead of buying a new PC. Now if you dont like the performance increase and its not enough to runn your programs the way you want. You can simply return the products and get your money back and put it twards a new computer ;)

Thats what I would do. Its an simple and easy way to try and save money and figure out if you really do have to buy a new PC. Good luck buddy, Oh and welcome to TPU. Hang around for a bit and you will notice that we (the TPU Family) will be glad to help answer and questions you have and walk you through and problems you might have. You came to the right place! :)

14. Skeezix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks...I had met all the "minimum requirements" but that doesn't really address the issue of very complex house/building plans with fields and mountains all 3D rendered. Support suggests a 512mb card and even then didn't seem very sure that would be enough to render the plan that I sent them.

15. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    lol TPU family? community maybe :p I would definitively go with a new system... even at dell for 600$ you can get a quad setup :eek: you may want to go in the system builder's section... ex: this thread might help...

16. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I think I might give it a go listing some specs that might help although I've had no experience from this program and I am assuming it needs a fair bit of gpu power.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 or E7400
    Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L
    8GB Ram Can be found very cheap
    4850 1GB GDDR3
    Coolermaster Real Power 520w Modular Power Supply

I have a bit of a feeling this will be a bit excessive but I think in the states this would be fairly cheap and excellent with your program. If you are not comfortable with putting it together you could take it to the nearest pc store or someone who knows how and get them to do it.

17. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    your right it is pretty cheap to upgrade now, with 1 grand you can get a system that will max anything at high res and for about 500 you can do the same if you price search

18. JUDOHAWK New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a 3.2 ghz P4 and 1.5 GB of ram. Well I had an HD4650 but the P4s were junk so it bottlenecked it real bad. I just built a new rig reusing HD, DVD, an old case and my HD4650 and I spent a total of 200 dollars shipped. Got an e5200, $50 dollar gigabyte mobo, Corsair PSU and of course DDR2 800 ram. So in your case OP, it's much better for you to just do a full rebuild. My E5200 ****s and urinates all over my old P4. I know I didn't get a high end dual core, but when you have a budget you do what you have to do :p

19. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, i remember testing my old P4 when i got my 3800 x2 and it got so whooped the P4 took over a hour longer as i got bored waiting for the P4 and thought i had my answere after that time.

New system would be the better option by a long shot as the new intel dual\quad core chips are even faster than the 3800 x2 which i was comparing my P4 against.

You might want to get a video card with at least 512MB but think a 1GB would be a even better option for what you doing.

Do any of the 3D programs \ architectural programs take advantage of quad core that you use ?. As yet again better the better option.

20. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I tried the program for myself Asrock and it does take advantage of quads. In fact I think it would take advantage of 8 threads. Also maybe a quadro would be a good idea because when looking at buildings it lagged like hell.