1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Electrical buzzing/whining noise

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sai-, Jan 24, 2008.

1. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have recently built a new rig for the first time (see specs) and everything went smooth. But sometimes there's a high pitched buzzing sound, it quiets down if I move the mouse. I did a Google search and found some threads about the Corsair psu making the same noises but I can't really tell if it's the PSU or not. I tried unplugging the video card and booting up, and there doesn't seem to be any noise but can't be sure since I can't really use the computer as if I had video. The sound usually starts when I start programs or when I'm in game but sometimes it seems to be random. Everything else seems to be running fine but I'm not really an expert. Video card temp is around 32-50. Aside from the buzzing, the computer is dead silent.

EDIT: Also there's a slight plastic smell in the room like burning plastic but the temps are fine. Could this be due to new parts?
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still need to see system specs. May be the PSU, but I know certain MB (like mine) have been know to make similar sounds.
  3. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, didn't know I had to select Yes in userCP from the dropdown list.

Specs updated
  4. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    My old ASROCK used to make noise. Are you using all of the current released drivers?
  5. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, updated everything except BIOS from Gigabyte's website

I did a few tests just a minutes ago using prime95 and memtest, in prime95 it only buzzes when I select "Blend" test and it also buzzes in memtest. Could it be the memory?
  6. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know my motherboard occasionally makes a bit of a noise, and I've heard a couple of power supplies that make a bit of a whine even when put under quite a low load. I've got a Corsair PSU too (not the same model mind) and that doesn't make any noise.

The best thing you can do would be to open the case up and try to listen to where it's coming from. TBH, I doubt it's anything dangerous/problematic, but I can understand that a high pitched buzz/whine can really get irritating if you're trying to write something long in word...
  7. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's unlikely - it's more likely to be either because the blend test draws more power or because it uses the motherboard in a different way. I'd definitely put motherboard or power supply at the top of the suspect list.

If you want you could try swapping out sticks of memory, but I doubt it will make too much impact. Worth a try I suppose.
  8. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll couldn't exactly pinpoint but I'll try again this time pulling out the PSU out of the case.

PS: yeah, probably not since I swapped the sticks yesterday and its still there
  9. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    my old cheapo 550W generic PSU from ebuyer used to do that, it would whine when you scrolled the mouse wheel. It made all sorts of high pitched sounds when doing stuff like accessing the hard drive, opening appliations, dragging windows etc. It blew up not long after I bought it taking both my hard drives with it LOL.
  10. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's definitely the psu, i took it out of the case and put it on top and the noise comes from the area where the switch/comb pattern is.

guess i'll rma it and live without a pc for a week :(
  11. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's not too good for a brand Corsair, you'd expect them to be better. Anyway, at least you know what it is, hope your next one works better :)
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Probably the transformer in the PSU.. I'd get it replaced my self. Any chance you can take out the psu and turn the comp on and listen to it when it starts do it.
  13. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    My Corsair 450vx makes noise when under very low load (i.e. my system at idle). I fix it by folding. Then I hear some kind of intermittent crickety noise, but that's coming from the motherboard and generally nothing to worry about.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Never had a mobo that did that. Is it the coils ones the mobo ?..
  15. sai- New Member

Thanks Received:
    strange, i took out the video card and let the computer idle for a few minutes, the noise isn't there. but I also took the psu out (video card present) and put it on top of the case and listened. the noise is there, but its not the video card, definitely the psu. i'll try to get it replaced asap and report back, hopefully the new unit will be better. there's a lot of threads on corsair support forums about the same issue.