1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elpida Ships Samples of x32-bit I/O 2-Gigabit DDR2 SDRAM

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Nov 26, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Elpida Memory, Inc., Japan's leading global supplier of Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM), today announced that it had begun sample shipments of a 2-gigabit x32-bit I/O DDR2 SDRAM that operates up to a high speed of 1066 Mbps. The new memory device is capable of meeting the need for 1.8V x32-bit and x16-bit I/O as well as low-voltage 1.5V x32-bit and x16-bit I/O.

Rapid advances in the image quality and functionality of digital TV, digital still cameras and other new digital consumer equipment have led to a growing need for memory that can deliver faster speeds, higher densities and wide-bit configurations. Elpida's newly developed 2-gigabit density x32-bit I/O product provides an optimal solution for these needs. Systems with a 32-bit CPU that require 2-gigabit memory density have until now had rely on a conventional 1-gigabit x16-bit I/O two-chip design. Elpida's new 2-gigabit x32-bit I/O product, however, reduces by half the number of mounted memory chips, simplifies high-speed memory bus design, conserves chip mounting space and lowers power consumption.

[​IMG]

Also, the new DDR2 SDARM is designed to operate at standard 1.8V as well as 1.5V and is well suited to meeting the need for low-power devices for use in mobile devices.

Volume production is scheduled to begin in the second quarter (April-June) of CY 2010.

[​IMG]

2. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    So does this memory have twice the densiry or twice the bandwith?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Neither, it has twice the bus width

HalfAHertz says thanks.
  4. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    That's a bit of a let down. How will doubling the bus width help ddr2?

5. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    It will bring its speed closer to that of DDR3 w/o the speed increase/latency.

6. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    1./ Same bandwidth using using a single chip in single channel mode, as previously required two chips in dual channel. (Think of number of memory channels like being RAID0)
    2./ Few memory chips needed... saves cost on manufacturing the chip... and saves cost on installing (soldering) the chip onto OEM PCBs
    3./ Smaller PCB required, fewer signal tracks... since you only need ONE address line, whereas before you needed address lines going to both chips.
    4./ Lower power consumption.

win-win-win-win

HalfAHertz says thanks.