1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Email server: Help needed

Discussion in 'General Software' started by lemonadesoda, Feb 4, 2009.

1. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking to set up a simple (free or cheapish) email server. It doesnt have to be too fancy. Will have about 15 email accounts on it, and needs to have ability for webmail so mail can be picked up while on the road.

Exchange and Outlook Web Access seems like overkill (or at least, pretty expensive given the software and CLA required).

Suggestions gratefully appreciated.

2. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    SquirrelMail

lemonadesoda says thanks.
  3. xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
  4. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Looked at Squirrel http://www.squirrelmail.org/screenshots.php and TBH it looks *sh1t*. It really looks like an old DOS/BIOS interface. Shame.

hmailserver looks promising until it recommends using squirrel for webmail. LOL.

5. GearUp New Member

Thanks Received:
    but you need apache, php, sendmail ,qmail to run squirrelmail. You can run it on Linux. There is no doubt about but running on windows will be much too fuzz.

6. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Scalix perhaps?

I read about it a year or so ago, but never got around to testing it out. It one of the few Exchange-level community projects out there. Otherwise you're looking Squirrel, Horde, Pegasus (is it still around?), etc. All of which have that old school feel to them :D

lemonadesoda says thanks.
  7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Damn, so I am going to have to run VMware on my tiny Atom LOL!!! I need Windows for the (unusually flexible and powerful) FTP server I use, www.xlightftpd.com AND I have no choice for HP DSS scanning and OCR software. And Linux for a free mailserver/groupware. LOL