1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Email Server Question

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by dannaswolcott, Mar 31, 2009.

1. dannaswolcott New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a domain and email though go daddy. I currently host my email on go daddy's server. Id like to host my email accounts on my own server. I was wondering what programs I would need to do this? I have Lotus Notes Domino Server, and also the hole Microsoft Outlook server install disks. I just quite don't know what I really need to do to set this up. I am good with servers and networking, some what on the email server, But setting it up, Not sure. Anyway any post comments tricks anything will be very helpful. Thanks in advance! Post what you think. :)

2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not familiar with it, but did a quick google for yah. here's an article on setting up a pop email server with linux and an app called dovecot http://www.linux.com/feature/53203

3. P4rD0nM3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You need sendmail or Postfix (or other alternatives) for your SMTP server.

And then Dovecot for your IMAP/POP3 server.

If you decide not to use Dovecot, you can still check your e-mail via a web client.

Good luck.

PS. Don't forget to change DNS entries as well, if you could get a reverse on your IP then by all means get it, since other mail servers won't accept e-mails from servers without a reverse.

4. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    There are countless options to run your own e-mail server. Personally I use Kerio. Though there are also free alternatives.
    Exchange is overkill in my opinion.