1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EMI interaction among PCI cards proposal

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by keantoken, Mar 27, 2007.

1. keantoken New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello.

I have heard numerous times about putting your soundcard next your videocard and getting messed up sound, but I have a simple idea (although probably not original) that might be able to help a bit.

I thought that taking multiple layers of heavy duty aluminum foil and laminating them together might help a bit if they were placed between the interacting cards on the motherboard.

There are probably other methods to dealing with this and I will gladly hear your idea. I am hoping that many will benefit from this thread if the topic is worthy.

- keantoken
  2. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    There isn't enough interference to really cause problems, and the biggest reason that you might have issues with this old myth is that most boards shared the first PCI slot with the AGP slot in bandwidth and that caused issues with real time devices such as sound cards.

Your hard drives with powerful magnets and vibration along with your DVD burner are more likely to cause problems IMHO.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    My original ISA SB card specifically said to keep as far away from the vid card as possible... Unless you are hearing discernable noise, I think the only way you could test the difference is sophisticated signal analysis equip.

But wrapping electrical components in aluminim foil does not seem like a smashing idea, even if laminated. :slap:
  4. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think Alunimum foil blocks EMI anyway? If you put it on your head the aliens can't read your mind though.
  5. keantoken New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree.

Yeah, I know. It does do something, though, because it works on radio antennas. If it did a whole lot, we'd here a lot about it in the computer modding forum.

- keantoken
  6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Not true, they are reading my mind right now - a whole box of foil wasted! :roll:
  7. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    part of this "putting as far away as possible from the vga card" comes from the irq assignment mechanism on older motherboards. if you put video and sound card next to each other they would end up with the same interrupt which created a ton of issues.

anybody have a high end sound card and want to run some RMAA tests between different slots?
  8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    IRQ, bandwidth.

You say tomato, err, I spell it tomato still. Shit.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  9. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an Audigy 2 ZS, and Polaris has an X-Fi. How would the tests be done?