1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EnergyFX's Thermaltake Soprano RS build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by EnergyFX, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Any new pics coming? Or more mods?
  2. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting around to it. I've been gone for quite a while so I've got a lot of other stuff piled up as well.

Hopefully I'll get some work done on it here in a couple of days.
  3. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I went by Home Depot to pick up some hex bolts to mount the casters and the pump bracket. I wish there were an ace hardware closer to me, they have such a better selection. I ended up getting four wrong size nuts and didn't notice until too late in the evening after HD was closed. Crap.

So instead of mounting the casters I decided to work on sleeving/splicing/connecting the 40mm expansion slot fans. My dumb ass got too careless with the heatgun while trying to heatshrink the sleeving at the fan end and melted the damn fan. With them filed down so thin it didn't take much for the plastic to warp. Crap crap!

So... my attempt to make progress only took me backwards.

It's hard getting momentum going again on this project.
  4. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I was sleeving a wire on my 35mm fan and didnt notice the fan bubbling away....I feel ur pain.
  5. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    really thats never happened to me. I use a BBQ Lighter it has a flame setting I put it on the lowest and hold it a inch and a half on the bottom than flip it over to do the other side. maybe you put the heatshrink too close to the fan end if you cover all the wire up I could see problems burning the fan housing there should be a quarter inch of visible wire.
  6. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

*** Jaw Drops ***

<17.785 Minutes Pass>

*** Jaw Rises Slowly ***

Holy Mother of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

You, sir, are a genius (with some balls, too, I'd be afraid to do half the stuff you've done here). This is easily among the most beautiful cases I've ever seen.

I'm absolutely in awe.
  7. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    on page 6 u shopwd pics of where you added felt to ur hdd an dvd drive trays, does that actually help with noise and vibrations?
  8. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was more to keep the paint job from getting scratched, but as for vibration and noise... I'm sure it doesn't hurt.
  9. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    well its a nice touch my friend, good work with this
    EnergyFX says thanks.
  10. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, thanks for the compliment... but I am a bit humbled to say there are far far more amazing projects on this site. This is a conglomeration (sp?) of concepts and ideas I have seen on TPU... with a couple of my own ideas thrown in ;)

I just hope I actually finish it one of these days.
  11. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    You will finish it and it will be epic! It is a really awesome system man!
    EnergyFX says thanks.
  12. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, so I spent most of the day redoing the side panel. I know I supposedly already did the side panel, but I was still never quite happy with it. Initially I used very thin plexi and edge molding and it just didn't have the clean factory appearance I was going for. I also initially left the 'wings' on the opening. This not only looked a bit shoddy to me but I also later discovered that the wings made it impossible to put the GPU intake fans in the optimal location... so without further adieu... I present my better side panel:

Used my dremel to nix the wings from the opening. A bit of filing and some touch up with black paint later made it look like they were never there. Drilled a few holes to match up with the remaining ones and the metal portion was done.
    [​IMG]

Once again I had to run all over town to find enough of the right size screws. I decided to simply cut threads in the plexi instead of using a washer and nut on the back side. This method made for a cleaner look since the nut and washer would have been visible to keen eyes. I've always appreciated the rugged industrial look of the hex nuts.
    [​IMG]

I didn't get any pictures of cutting the fan holes this time. That part was pretty much the same as any other process of cutting holes. I used a 4.5" hole saw and drained my dewalt battery. Getting the nice rounded inner edges to the fan holes was accomplished by using a sanding drum on my dremel to get rid of most of the coarseness the hole saw left. Then I used the dremel and sanding drum at about a 45 degree angle to get a rough shape established. After that it was a few hours with a Revlon 6 step nail file to get the final product. The first two steps of the nail file are fairly rough and do a great job of shaping the edge and getting it nice an smooth. Steps 3-6 are polishing grits that progressively bring out a glassy shine. For shaping and polishing plexy edges like this I think it works better than sandpaper. The nail file is soft and flexible and forms itself around the edge quite nicely. Sandpaper just creases causes more trouble than it's worth.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sleeving these will be quick and simple. I twisted them opposite without realizing it. Whatever. Also... in this pic you can see the nail file I was referring to above.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tah dah!
    [​IMG]

bleh! this hobby makes me have to do chores. I made a helluba mess today!!
    [​IMG]
    Soylent Joe and mav2000 say thanks.
  13. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    EFX, your suppose to brush everything under teh carpet! Remember the old cartoons?

:roll:

It looks pretty good man. Sleeving looks :pimp: and the cut on the side doesn't even look like someone did it..

:rockout:
  14. steelkane

steelkane New Member

Thanks Received:
    Let's just say,, It took Energy to do that.
  15. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    How long have you been waiting to use that one?

lol
  16. steelkane

steelkane New Member

Thanks Received:
    you subliminally made me say that, with your mad skills. Looking really nice
  17. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sone images of what I have been working on for the front panel. The plan is to get this drawn up and sent off to a laser cutting shop. I tried making it myself but it is simply too many cuts for me to do by hand. I did alright for a prototype, but I want a laser cut item for the final product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the hand cut prototype I've been tinkering around with.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  18. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
    was it a local shop that did the cutting ?
  19. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't ordered the laser cut piece yet. The one in the picture is the hand cut piece I have been working on. Notice two of the smaller circles aren't fully cut out yet.

I plan to use a shop in Las Vegas for the laser cut piece. It looks like it will cost me around $30-$40 or so. Now I just need to get this Google Sketchup image converted into a CAD file.
  20. kickbass4777 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am new to pc building and i will be putting together an i7 920 build next week with this case : ) . It's great to see such an awesome mod being done from a basic case. So far I have plans to mod 3 of my unused 5.25 bays into a 120 mm fan/intake . That hex mesh is pretty cool . By the way what can i use to cut case aluminum cleanly? I like the idea of adding window/fans for airflow as i want to overclock and i will run 2 ati 4890's or 2 nvidia 275's , so cooling is good.
    EnergyFX says thanks.
  21. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the forum kickbass!

There are several methods for cutting. Some here on the board have become experts at using snips to do much of their cutting... me not so much. My preferred method is a dremel with quality cutting discs. I use various other dremel bits for intricate details. Another method is to use a jig saw, which I have also had good results with. There is also the simple hack saw, coping saw, and finally a nibbling tool. Personally I've never used a nibbling tool, but supposedly they work great once you get the hang of it.
  22. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Superb stuff...I would be more than happy with the hand cut front plate, but then I am no where close to what you can do ..
    EnergyFX says thanks.
  23. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Love the look of the front man! Looking good!

:toast:
  24. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    holy batman!!! The case looks sick!!! Great job energyfx :respect:
    EnergyFX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    This reminds me of ColdStorms mod, I really enjoy watching mods be refined, Well done.
    EnergyFX says thanks.