1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Enermax or Seasonic PSU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Octopuss, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I was almost ready to grab Enermax PRO/MODU87+, when someone told me don't be an idiot, the price is ridiculous for what are you getting, and recommended Seasonic M12II-520, which admittedly cost a LOT less. I am no expert in this, so what do you think? Enermax is like THE PSU to get, according to most of reviews I read in past, and it has absolutely silent fan, which is something of great importance to me. But I don't want to pay extra money for just a name, though.
    Both of these are 80plus too, so... I don't know.

2. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Links? (Sorry I am lazy. :) )

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'm a sucker for Enermax. I'm running 3 currently (Liberties and a Revolution). Enermax MODU87+ is 80+ Gold certified (as good as it gets). That means a potentially reduced electric bill. I'd definitely go for modular because wire messes are all around bad.

It's not just a name either. The internals they design are excellent and when push comes to shove, they deliver.

Never skimp on power supplies.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Best advice ever given!!!

5. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    +1. No need to add more heat to your case with low efficiency PSU. For that you have GF100´s ;)

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Well, the guy who told me does know a fair bit about electronics (I think he has a university grade in this field), so I kinda trust him.
    I too like Enermax and have one btw :)

7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well besides making their own great PSU's Seasonic make PSU's for PC Power & Cooling and Corsairs High end PSU's
    I have an older 600W Modular I feel bad not using. It is a great PSU and actually powered my last Opteron 170/Crossfire rig(and those were X1900's) I have actually been tempted to throw it my current rig as the Thermaltake Tough Power 1200W is overkill with my current setup.

8. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seasonic PSUs are great. They've been making PSUs for other people like Corsair for a while now and know what they're doing. Their X series Gold PSUs are top of the line and the fan doesn't even spin up until past 40% load. What's the price difference for you b/t these two PSUs?

9. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Converted into $, Seasonic M12II-520 cost 101 while Enermax MODU87+ 182 (if I wanted PRO, it would be 158). Quite a difference (at least for me).

10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I just wanted to add I DID actually flip out my Thermaltake Tough Power 1200W for my good old Seasonic M12 600W(it's quite old really but didn't see alot of use)

My system is running rock solid on it and I am surprised and please as tho it is an "older" PSU and had to use a SATA adaptor to get all my HDD's up and going it was still one of the first 80% efficiency PSU's so I am pretty pleased it is holding it's own(tho I suspected it would)

Link: http://www.seasonicusa.com/m12.htm
    Yep this old thing

11. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Enermax for the absolute win, I get a hard on for the revolution 85+ series.

12. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    So what about my original question? :)

13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    just like a mechanic can tell you a cheap car is just as good and a way to save money for going from A to B, doesnt mean it matches a ferrari.

your friend may have given you advice on what will work fine for now, but the more efficient, higher end product will last you a few builds, and give you greater upgrade potential.

14. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Well I believe Seasonic is the same grade of product when it comes to quality, really :p