1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Engineered Avian Flu

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by KainXS, Nov 28, 2011.

1. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    A researcher by the name Ron Fouchier experimented with Avian Flu commonly contracted by birds(Ferrets in general) and has created a human contactable, airborne version of H5N1 and he wants to publish to the world how he made it. Like Typical H5N1 the mortality rate is about 50%

now thats some scary shit right there.

http://rt.com/news/bird-flu-killer-strain-119/
    http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2011/11/scientists-brace-for-media-storm.html

D4S4 says thanks.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    People like this should have no place in society. Maybe they belong more in an underground lab in a volcano on the moon.

3. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I would feel safer if he was on the moon

yea

CrypticDecipher and adulaamin say thanks.
  4. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Loads round into M40A5 and aims @ target.

CrypticDecipher says thanks.
  5. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    wow... he creates a deadly virus then wants to show the world how he created it.. yey for terrorists... :slap::banghead:

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. John Doe Guest

You hope this was planned to find a cure to H5N1. Or else the 17th floor needs a visit about right now... with some G3's and granade launchers. Hollywood to the rescue.

7. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Do you have any idea what it takes to "make" a virus?

Hint: a lot of money, time, facilities, skill, patients, and test subjects.

CrypticDecipher says thanks.
  8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Considering they've been playing with H5N1 for at least 20+ years, I don't see what the big deal is. It's been known that the human-active pathogen could infect and kill ferrets for at least that long, too, so it only makes sense that the reverse is possible.

I can point you to this article:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0166093489900049

which states that they have been testing, and proven, that there is a link between ferrets and humans, from a study published in 1989, 22 years ago. All that this current paper shows is that it's possible that the current "outbreak" of H5N1 could have been caused by mishandling of lab samples, and shows exactly HOW it could be done, which, technically, is nothing new. The only issue, and why this is in the news, is that the details of the paper are far too specific.

;)

As far as I am concerned, there's all this info in various palces already, so I do not understand why putting it all together in one place, matters. Just who are these "bad guys" we are so worried about, anyway?

digibucc and Irony say thanks.
  9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Instead of waiting for it to happen naturally and have it surprise the heck out of us we've managed to do it for nature and contain it.

Now we can look for ways to treat it so that when it does get out (Naturally and hopefully not artificially) we can be prepared for it.

I'd be mad pissed if he kept it to himself, not to mention if he sold it to the wrong people or released it himself.

So I'm glad this guy not only did what he did but is willing to share his research. If we can make it, it only makes sense that we will know how to destroy it.

God gave us the ability to create, now expect us to play God (We'll try and be safe about it;))

10. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Jeez, why can't they aspire to achieve something like an airbourne virus which cures diseases rather than kill off people.

11. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    They didn't make the Virus they just made it capable to use Humans as a host.

12. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Ah I just saw a poster say "make" a virus so I assumed it was man made.

13. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It is a man made virus. I did not exist in nature until they created it, even if it is a modification to an existing virus.

The difference between being God and playing god is that the former knows what He's doing.

DRDNA, Irony, random and 1 other person say thanks.
  14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Fouchier will be sniped

15. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps the former had to make mistakes before being good at what he does?

Then like wise, we too will have to learn from our mistakes to reach his status.

Question is, will we survive those mistakes?

Either way the ramifications will be grand to say the least.

16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    thankfully my god like immune system will keep me safe. with all you suckers dead and gone think of all the bandwidths i will have!!!!!!! mwuahahah!!

blu3flannel says thanks.
  17. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I see both the good and bad in this. But i seriously doubt this will be some public release how to make this isnt going to be something you can google. It will probably be more of a internal science doc that can be viewed from diffirent labs in france and shit. That being said if this was indeed the case and im assuming it is I dont see the harm in it. Learning how to make a virus like this in the right hands (All the major labs globaly) is like a lego set if they know how to genetically modify it to be worse it may show them what to genetically modify so it can be cured/vaccinne. The issue here isnt that he wants to publish it imo. What I think people dont realize is that it was made here. Think of it like a science NDA Publishing it would let labs in other places see what he did which they currently dont.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  18. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i was really hoping the avian flu would allow the birds to take over the planet. i mean, come on.

19. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Captain Trips

NinkobEi says thanks.
  20. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    MONEY: a terrorist group hell-bent on "raising terror" can accumulate the amount required...

TIME: terrorist groups have all the time in the world...

FACILITIES: terrorists are really good at improvising which would also make the money problem less of a problem (my grammar sucks hahaha bear with me :))...

SKILL: I would bet they have/could find people skilled enough...

PATIENTS/TEST SUBJECTS: us (what better way to test it than to release it at some highly populated place and let the police/government/hospitals count how many are infected/dead to see how deadly it is)

it wouldn't be that easy to "make" the virus but once they know how to what's gonna stop them from trying to make one.. :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    So, we're back to the perrennial problem with scientific inquiry:
    Someone discovers something, or how to do something, 'interesting', and in the spirit of sharing and receiving feedback from their peers they want to share that 'interesting' something. Which may help them gain notoriety and draw more grant money their way, so that they can continue their inquiry relatively unhindered.

On the surface it seems so innocent. The problem isn't in the purity of the intent, the problem is in the unintended consequences brought about by the disclosure.

Now, here's the triple whammy (or modal conundrum):

Is it possible someone will actually 'cultivate' such a virus and spread it? Yes, it's possible.
    Is it probable someone will actually 'cultivate such a virus and spread it? Unknown.
    Is it the objectively right thing to do, to disseminate the information, to make it possible? The consensus is No so far.

You could make an analogy to other discoveries, but this one has a path to low budget mayhem, of some kind, by all kinds of undesirables.
    Sure, the general principles for building a nuclear weapon are available to those who want it, but getting the plutonium or uranium and building the thing is almost impossible and incredibly expensive, so no widespread threat there from 'terrorists'.

Should the paper be published? If it had not been brought up in a news factoid like this (and no doubt many places elsewhere) it might have been published with little fanfare. But now? There's a strong reason to say no.
    Anyway, aside from that, I think if Mr Fouchier makes a big stink about this he'll find himself out of funding, or out of a job eventually, since it'll look like he wants to publish a paper on a how-to guide to creating a biological weapon. That's soft headed idealist thinking, to actually think such a paper as this is a good idea, especially considering the way things have been for the last 10 years.

22. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    I think the point is that it's now airborne.

23. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    So "the man" creates a virus capable of devastating half the world, and all it takes is him to release it and start conveniently selling the "cure" for it.

I've seen this movie.

n-ster says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  24. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    The only reason this got onto this thread is because this was publicized; probably accidentally. Biological and genetic engineering, in everything from Smallpox and chickens to tobacco plants and the common cold has been done for well over 100 years. Many institutions and governments have experimented with biological warfare. Smallpox is bred by the russian and US governments for sure, in the event it may be needed for a biological war. Oddly enough, smallpox was also used in the early 1800s by the US military to infect the Native americans; which succeeded in killing at least 80% within just a few years.

This is nothing new; it just seems shocking to the average person who is generally kept in the dark if at all possible.

25. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The sickest part of it is that H5N1 isn't the worst they have at those facilities. They have VX nerve gas and many other viruses/poisons that have a 99.98% mortality rate and in massive quantities.

Irony says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU