1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games = Epic Fail

Discussion in 'Games' started by Skrabrug, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    So for the past 2 days I've been attempting to host a UT3 game for me and a friend to play through campaign together...

last night i fell asleep at my keyboard and was awoken by nightmares of the dreaded check my router's manual about setting up 'port forwarding' or 'DMZ' errors.

Start nonsensical rant
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I've been a UT fan since the first one and i put off buying UT3 this long because of the mass amounts of troubles i had with the last Epic game i bought which was "Gears of War" on PC (Once i gave up on attempting to get it work and about a month later i somehow got it working while i was drunk? then it didn't work again a week later which was odd)

I have a very crappy modem I'm connected to the net through and after countless configuration attempts nothing has worked (although this modem did actually HAVE a port forwarding profile dedicated for playing UT games already built into it which was odd) so my port forwarding is all right and so on and after reading some where apparently disabling NAT will get rid of that error message it also gets rid of my ability's to use the internet on my network.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /End nonsensical rant

anyway has anyone got any idea of a way to get "around" this error?

2. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try hamachi.

Skrabrug says thanks.
  3. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    What modem or router do you have. Model?

4. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have attempt it with 3 different modems. one was a D-Link a mate bought around (i don't remember the model)

2nd was my own modem open networks 624

3rd was a Thomson Speed Touch 530 (most commonly used modem I've seen in Australia)

all the port forwarding and so on I've done correctly, even attempted with modems inbuilt fire walls switch off. and got nothing.

Edit: not sure if i mentioned this but i can JOIN games online I just can't host any (same with my friend)

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Generally, I find hosting any game will work better hardwired. Are you doing it hardwired or behind a router?

6. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    I used hamachi to play UT3 with friends... but didn't try co-op

7. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    over the net through a generic modem I've cut a lot of stuff down in to make gaming easier. only games I've ever had trouble with on the net have been made by EPIC :(

8. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    So Epic is bad because you can't configure your router correctly? I'd say it's either you or the router, not Epic.

Can you successfully forward any other ports?