1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

er..is sony mad ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BXtreme, Mar 20, 2007.

1. BXtreme

BXtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok, so I just 'tested' the PS3 in a shop...and I'm AWED :eek: Such hd graphics and coOl fx but for 600$ ???, WTF!
    PS3 has a gr8 potential but it's price it making it lag behind :p
    I only played motostorm (meh..resistance wasn't there), and it was the best race game i've ever played on a console! Smooth hq gfx with breaking vehicles w00t, it was awesome :D
    ANY1 knows why they're doing this ??
    i.e Stupid High prices ?

2. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    Blue Ray is expensive right now and they are already losing money on the console.
    Things will become cheaper to manufacture and then the price will drop. It is the cycle of things.

3. BXtreme

BXtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    so can't they make a dvd version ? :rolleyes:

4. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    It wouldnt be a next generation console if they used last generation stuff. At least that how monopolies think IMHO. :rolleyes: Besides, they want our money!!! Nothing else. :roll:

5. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    the ps3 is nice, but i see no difference between it compaired to the 360. Both graphics are around the same-ish. but i perfer the 360 due to larger gaming library, xbox live, and lower cost. But games such as GT5 and MGS...are gonna look fantastic. but the 360 has forza2and halo3 too...which is gonna look awesome to...

quite a hard choice.

6. Eric_Cartman

Eric_Cartman

Thanks Received:
    the games won't fit on dvds, i personally don't want launch games to be on 3 or 4 dvds

i hate disk swapping

i think there is something to the fact that the launch titles on the PS3 already look as good, or even slightly better than games for the 360 even after the developers have had a year to develop for the 360

but graphics don't make a good game system, i play my 360 more than my ps3 for the exact reason you said, it has a better game library

though give the ps3 a year and see what its game library is like then

7. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    With the price of the console at $600... it would be nice if the games were in the PC price range, ie. $20-$40. But no, console games still $40-$60. :(

8. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    thats nothing, games here are £40-50, thats nearly $100 for a game :mad:

9. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I love my ps3 and I Think it looks better than my xbox 360. However, both consoles are lacking alot of new games. Right now, edge to 360 for software, accessories and xbox live.

10. Eric_Cartman

Eric_Cartman

Thanks Received:
    stop complaining, europeans always complain about how things are more expensive over there, but you make a lot more than us over in the US too, so it evens out

11. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    I am looking through ign's release list for the ps3...and an unimpressive list it is...sadly, a lot of the games are remakes, common games found on other units...barely any orginal titles.

take a look for yourself...http://ps3.ign.com/index/release.html,

360 has showed to have a higher gpu compared to the ps3...and to my eyes, the 360 looks much better...both in lighting (always a major problem with the playstations, but ironicly not for the psp), and sharper edges and better textures.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html

12. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    lol no they dont. cost of living in europe is through the roof. not so much in the UK since they were smart and didnt adopt the euro. but yea in general they make less and stuff is more expensive.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    he has got a point, £50 is a fair bit of money, and pc games are only £30 which is a far more reasonable amount, console games will drop to £30, it happened with the xbox, gamecube and ps2, its just they love the price premium when these things are new, i do agree with your point about things being evened though, a comparison in £ to $ does make things look worse than they are, for example the uk min wage is about £5.35 where im pretty sure the us min wage is less than $10-11

14. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    hehe, we wish the min wage is 10-11, its more around $5.15 - 6.50 on average...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_minimum_wages

We California have around 7.50 and going to 8...but cost of living is massivly high here...we are no where near 10.

but again, UK pays a much high tax (about 2-3 times more), compare to the US.

15. Eric_Cartman

Eric_Cartman

Thanks Received:
    not all the launch titles are good, very few are, but the ones that are look amazing

resistance and motorstorm both look better than anything released for the 360 yet

the developers have had an extra 12 months to smooth out the images on the 360, and the relative green ps3 developers have already managed to pump out titles that surpass the 360 in visual quality

there is something to that, you can say the 360 shows more gpu power, but i don't see it