1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Error Steam Back Up

Discussion in 'Games' started by fjcubi, Mar 30, 2012.

1. fjcubi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys!

So I read a topic that said that if you were gonna format your pc, you could back up steam games manually by backing up STEAM APPS, so that's what I did.

When my OS was up again, I installed Steam and replace the Steam apps folder, (THE GAME IS MODERN WARFARE 3 by the way) click the multiplayer on my library that appear INSTALLED, started to update vc redist, directx, and then preparing to start and closes just like it used to do, but then, nothing happens..

The single player works fine, I tried going into singleplayer and then to multiplayer from the menu but no luck (It went back to steam and did the same procedure)

I have a feeling that there's a solution, since I've seen everybody agrees to back up the Steam apps folder (I also have the FULL steam folder backed up just in case)

Please, I know you guys are smart to figure this out, I'm new to steam so thats why I have no clue.

And what's even worse that when I go to single player, and put the clicker on Multiplayer it tells me some details of my profile, like how long i've played and how many % of completition do i have. So I know it's there.

The reason I went through all this trouble is that I have a slow connection, like 6mb connection and would take like 24 hours to download, or more.

Thank you so much in advance!

2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    ive downloaded steam games over a 6mb connection. usually done overnight. The way to backup your steam games is to right click it in the steam library and perform the backup function. Copy that to an external drive, or a disc. if a disc though, copy it to your harddrive before installing.

3. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    verify integrity, normally works for me with this situation :)

4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^^Mars is right. That's what I would try first.

Right click on game in library on Steam, select properties, go to local files tab, click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache".

If it finds a problem it will redownload what it needs which may take awhile for you, but it is a lot quicker than downloading the whole game.

LifeOnMars says thanks.