1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

errr.....psu frozen and rattling?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by d1nky, Feb 22, 2013.

1. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    my new psu arrived two seconds ago and well its frozen cold, slight condensation on metal and something tiny rattling inside.......im leaving it for a bit to warm/dry out before I test power. shall I get straight on the phone and start mouthing off?

xfx 1050w black edition :) I been waiting a week to get this grrrrrr :banghead:

ive just noticed the screws have been used wtf

2. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    The screws wouldn't have been screwed in, had they not been used... No? :p:D

As for the rattling, keep shaking the PSU until the foreign object falls out of it. If it's a piece of metal (solder ball, small screw, etc.) you could be in for some fireworks.

There's a small chance you were lucky enough to have received a refurb... Major points off to the retailer, in that case.

Keep us updated, please. And good luck!

3. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    return it, and how is it frozen

4. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    ive just registered for the 60 month guarantee, the rattling has gone ( I shaked and nothing came out) I guess its stuck somewhere. and its frozen because its cold outside and I guess its been in the van all night. I can even see condensation on the caps. well its next to the heater with a blanket and a bottle of milk. on closer inspection I guess whoever hand built must been on work experience lol

UPDATE: CHECK THIS OUT ON XFX PAGE, THEY BATTERING A GFX CARD??? ffs ive just bought a product from them http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Home.aspx

5. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    ouch.

6. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    when I plug a psu on at that wall (not connected to anything) is the fan still meant to work??

ive just done that with two psu's and guess not

7. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Are you saying that when you plug the PSU in, but leave all it's output cables disconnected, the fan spins? If so, I don't think the condensation moisture has dried out quite yet... Definitely a short somewhere.

8. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    get a sack of rice and place it on the rice (not in it as the rice would get in)

9. ToBbErT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt accept a psu like that. Just get it replaced. I recently bought a monitor for my aunt and also it was very cold and it was covered with condensation. Not something you wanna see on a new product, specially on electronics. Imo they should seal products like this. I wouldnt mind paying a bit extra for more protection.

10. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    ok quick update, I left next to the radiator for a while to dry out, notified xfx about the issue. ive installed the psu ( from the retailer I get 365day guarantee money back/plus 5 years with xfx)

as so far its working, no temp issues, quiet fan, switches etc work, hybrid fan works, no noise, flashing, or strange sounds. my actual pc seems to be running better and cooler??

I must say apart the first worries, im impressed........so far!

p.s tbh we don't know what happens to our components before they get to us, are shipped around the world and who actually makes them....so im taking a chance on keeping it for a bit! fingers crossed lol

update: xfx said if there is no damage etc inside the rattling could be something to do with the fan. and any future problems contact retailer

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  11. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    This is what a high quality PSU brings. Though what you got is a brutal overkill for your machine. 750W would've been plenty even for crossfire + overclock.

Nice to know everything went fine... Enjoy your new beast! :)

d1nky says thanks.
  12. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    If you can afford a high quality PSU, it is never overkill IMO. He will have complete piece of mind whatever upgrades he decides on in the future, numerous HDDs, more power demanding processors, graphics cards etc.

Glad it's all working out alright for you D1nky :)

d1nky says thanks.
  13. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I'm reading the weirdest things lately.

14. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    And you are posting the shittest comments, stick to the topic. :shadedshu

D1nky, when are you upgrading everything else?

15. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    hey pacman, urmm whenever I can really. should get new mobo and cpu next week, hopefully! the extra card will be a few weeks. I have to get another ssd ive maxed this one out with never settle bundles lol. the psu is working well, everything stock is like oc before! lesson learnt not to underestimate the power of power I guess.

...PACMAN... says thanks.