1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

eSATA & Power

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Kraegos, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Kraegos

Kraegos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone tried to make their own molex to mini-din power adapter? I want to add a power port for an eSATA device to my rig, but not quite sure how to go about doing it. I've seen pci cards with 2 eSATA ports and 2 mini-din power ports, but I don't want to buy another card. I certainly don't want to connect an eSATA to a pci port. That just defeats the purpose of having eSATA. I'd like to just add a female mini-din plug to the back of my case but how would I wire it up??

Any ideas?

2. Kraegos

Kraegos New Member

Thanks Received:
    According to the wire diagram I found there are 2-ground, 2-12v and 2-5v pins on that power connector. It looks like the same style connector as a PS/2. The card I found shows power coming from a floppy drive power plug. I will keep researching and post my findings here.

I know I'm not the only person who hates those big power bricks.

3. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    you will need this
    AC to Molex Adapter
    [​IMG]
    i dont think they have finished the power-over-esata yet or the power is to low

4. Kraegos

Kraegos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I am trying to stay away from the power brick. I am trying to make my own internal power supply. That way all you need is your original esata cable and a male-to-male mini-din power cable. I have some spare parts from an old external usb drive that I demolished so I am going to do some testing once I get home. As long as the amps are there it should be a direct wire-up.