1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ESD (Static) Protection

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PVTCaboose1337, Mar 5, 2006.

?

For static protection, I should buy:

1. a static wrist wrap only

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. a static mat only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. both a static wrist wrap and a mat

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. nothing

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    The final steps of building my PC are coming up. I have ordered the parts and am ready to build. Now I am worried about static protection. What is it I need to do? I understand about static wrist wraps, but what about the mats? Are they worth the cash.
  2. gerrynicol New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use them to lay the hardware on instead of keeping them in bags, if you don't do much building then I wouldn't bother, if it's something your gonna use alot then go for it.

Gerry.
  3. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't own any mats or wrist bands. I just lay parts on the anti-static bags, and usually work on a wooden surface. I also just take some common sense percautions like grounding myself and any tools on the side of my case before touching any components. Haven't shocked anything yet. If I were working on other peoples computers or was inside my computer everyday I might invest in one. I guess I'll be sorry though if I ever fry a component because of static discharge :( .
  4. peta01

peta01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do not underestimate ESD. I worked at engineering at some factory producing thousands computers per day and I saw some interesting things about ESD there. If you damage your component by static electricity it does not mean that it stops working immediately. It just damages one or more circuits and then it is matter of time when your component dies. Many people dont know that their parts died by ESD because they have not touch them for half since it was assembled.
    You have to be very skilful to destroy component by one static bolt (it is easy if you dont follow basic rules). To be really sure, that you will not damage your parts with static el., you have to use static wrist wraps and special surface on your table. Also be aware of dust.
    Think about these things only if you want to have computer service or if you have more than three computers. In your case it is enough to ground yourself by touching something grounded (computer case is enough). Also socks are important. Use only socks (yes the things on your legs) made of pure cotton. Anti-static bags should be good for you as working area. If you follow my advice there is 90% chance that you will not damage your components by static electricity.
  5. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    I use a static strip, cheapest insurance if you ask me. Some people say chassis ground is good enough, but I use a water pipe... I've seen to many people blow hardware from not wearing a strip or just using chassis ground. Better safe than sorry. ;)

-Dan
  6. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    You are saying to use the Chassis as the grounding?
  7. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    No, I use a water pipe. Like our heating system is water, and all those pipes connect to the main pipe in the ground. Chassis ground is only good when it's plugged in, but if you're working on the pc any amount, it's usually not pulgged in, therefore it's not grounded good. I know people that used just chassis ground, and still fried a part.

-Dan
  8. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    So what method do you use to connect yourself to the pipe, a wrist wrap?
  9. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Yes, a static strip...

-Dan
  10. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I own a static wrist strap... never use it... but yeah...

ive actually shocked my an7 with a nice cm long bolt of static and its still working just fine...

lol :D

Infact, that thing has given me less troubles than any other component I have ever purchased...
  11. peta01

peta01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, but you will not be laughting for a long time. I give your mobo max half year of life.
  12. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It only needs 12 volts to damage computer equipment, and it needs to be 30,000volts for human to feel, and esd doesnt hurt it right away, it just decreases the performance overtrime gradually.
  13. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    i've never shocked anything in my builds, then again, I'm not stupid and make sure everything is unhooked when working in the comp as well as keeping things on the antistatic bags until I'm ready to install them.
  14. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    um actually most static eletricity is between 30,000 and 50,000 volts. thing is its only about .00001amps. also 1v @50amp will stop a heart so its not all about volt.

Volt - "The International System unit of electric potential and electromotive force, equal to the difference of electric potential between two points on a conducting wire carrying a constant current of one ampere when the power dissipated between the points is one watt."

Amp - "(AMPere) A measurement of electrical current in a circuit. Contrast with "volts," which is a measure of force, or pressure, behind the current. Multiplying amps times volts derives "watts," the total measurement of power. In electrical equations such as Ohm's Law, the symbol for amp is "I" (see Ohm's Law).

One amp is 6,280,000,000,000,000,000 (6.28 x 1018) electrons passing by the point of measurement in one second. See volt and watt. "

Source--> Answers.com
  15. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    To sum this all up, spend the $5 or what ever it costs and get a static strip. It's the cheapest insurace you can get. ;)

-Dan
  16. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

even funnier, because that was well over a year ago. :laugh:

Actually, going on almost 2 now..
  17. peta01

peta01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have touched 60,000V and I didnt feel anything. Just my hairs gone wild :roll:
  18. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    not enough current then.... the :average" static shock is ~30kv :)
  19. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah mos static electricity is >30,000 volts... which means if u feel the shock, ur fucked and it doesnt matter the wattage, just the shock to the board, I've done it before, thats why I use rubber gloves,grounding strap and anti-static matting, overboard yes but I don't want to shock it one bit anymore
  20. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    Work with boarsd all day long wear a wrist strap use the bags boards came in and a little bit of rubber sole { running shoes}
  21. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

Actually, you should not stick things ON the antistatic bag, as that is more likely to kill it, because the bag outside is conductive.
  22. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    don't worry about ESD too much man...worry about screwing your motherboard into your case wrong and short circuiting everything :p . As a preventive measure, ALWAYS touch something metal before touching your components. Do not wear fuzzy clothes, do not touch computer parts after touching something fuzzy, and dont put your stuff on fuzzy things. If you have to put your parts in anything except the case, stick it on your ESD proof bags/the floor. And remember...DO NOT SCREW MOTHERBOARD DIRECTLY INTO CASE. Case-spacers-motherboard. after thats all set, dont worry about a thing. Except for installing the OS :laugh:
    Happy Gaming!
  23. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    ...I stand corrected! lol thanks for that tip, I'll probably need it :D . Um in that case, if you have to put your components down, stick it in the antistatic bag, on the hard floor, or just on top of the case (after touching it to make sure it doesnt have a charge lol)